360 cs vs 997 gt3rs | FerrariChat

360 cs vs 997 gt3rs

Discussion in '360/430' started by peterb, Oct 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterb

peterb Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    milan italy
    Full Name:
    peter ross
    well, i finally collected my 997 gt3rs today after 12 months of waiting. when i have a chance i will post pictures. i am very impressed with the car and the power deliver seems to be more linear than the cs v8. where the cs is sort of empty under 4k the gt3rs pulls immediately( thank you stuttgart for the lovely flat 6). I ordered the car with the pccb brakes and my immediate impression is that break wise the cars are pretty identical. the 6 speeds on the porsche is very short and notchy and feels like a proper race car. regarding steering, my gut feeling is that the gt3rs seems a little more direct than the cs. i know that sounds preposterous but trust me, the gt3rs is that good.

when i finish the break in period , i will be able to properly comment on the high end +6k power delivery of the 2 engines. in any case, i will post pictures of both cars.

2. 4retr

4retr Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    David B.
    Please keep us posted - I received my GT3 RS late last month and have put on less than 100 miles. I'm thinking of switching my 550 for a CS, but people have have told me they will be to similar (I'm trying to change my current line-up with low production models).

Thanks,

3. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    IMO, far from similar.

4. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Hm. I've driven both and don't really agree. Maybe it's the new car jollies talking. Nice motor, really a nice car all around, but not quite the CS steering response, IMO.

Gary

5. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    not driven the Porsche but I fail to see how ANYTHING could steer better than a CS, they are simply perfection. Congrats on the Porker BTW, lovely car :)

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    360cs used to be my fantasy car but i got a real 7 gt3 this summer instead. came down to practicality and $ winning out over exotic style and sound.

major shock came last week at pocono raceway for an fca track event when my car was significantly faster than not only 360cs but challenge cars including a stripped out 360gt version, 430, gallardo, z06, etc.

its not a ferrari but you wont be disappointed in your gt3

7. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    unless it breaks all the time like mine, or you use it hard at the track and the belt pulley bolt fails as they do mostly often in cupcars but also in 3's. design flaw

8. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    We want pics! We want pics! ;o) Scott

9. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Kinda meaningless, really...with equal drivers virtually all the cars listed above would be faster than the GT3. At least you can feel good about out-driving the other guys.

Gary

10. al70

al70 Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Peter, get that break-in done very soon, like now - get in the car and drive another 500 miles immediately. :)

They've got good pull through the rev range but the high-end delivery (6-8400rpm) is where a GT3 really comes alive. Enjoy.

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    not so.

some of the cars could pull away on the infield section but i could easily catch right back up on the straits. that pretty much eliminates driver variables and puts focus on car's power.

12. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    drive a GT3 , then you will see that it is.

13. peterb

peterb Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    milan italy
    Full Name:
    peter ross
    i have been able to spend a couple of more days with the car. i am starting to become more convinced of the steering of the gt3rs. it has a heavier feel than the cs and seems just perfect. another interesting tidbit of info. the pccb brakes are much more effective immediately and do not take amount of time the cs's brakes do to warm up. i have not been able to really deploy the brakes yet but my gut feeling is that they are on the same level.

another controversial issue that i might as well bring up. the build quality on the porsche seems superior to the cs. you get a feel of solidity that the cs does not have. you close the f car door and the porsche door and you can hear the difference.

anyway, if i can motivate to get both cars out of the garage tomorrow i will do a side by side pic.

14. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #14 ylshih, Oct 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. spivy

spivy Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Newton, MA
    Full Name:
    Gene Spivak
    #15 spivy, Oct 12, 2007
  16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Fantastic cars Gene. I loved my 997S. I would enjoy owning both as they have such different personalities. Comparing them isn't fair to either.

Thanks for sharing...

17. peterb

peterb Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    milan italy
    Full Name:
    peter ross
    #17 peterb, Oct 13, 2007
  18. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    It's amazing. It's simply incredible how a Ferrari 360 body style launched in 1999 is more beautiful than a Porsche launched this year. The timeless beauty of Ferrari continues to dominate the automotive industry. This is one of the reasons I sold my 997S cab (I loved it when I had it, and would still love to own both). I have driven the GT3, but not the CS. But it really doesn't matter. The Ferrari is still the more beautiful car no matter how many pieces they add to the 997's body.

This picture is very telling.

19. Spinne

Spinne Rookie

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Steven S
    beatiful cars

20. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Exactly how my garage would be... I want to add a CS along side of my RUF GT2 :(

21. Charlesgt2

Charlesgt2 Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    I think you are confusing timeless with personal opinion of beauty. If you are talking about timeless, there is nothing more timeless than the 911. For over 40 years it has retained the same shape - hate it or love it.

22. Arrwin

Arrwin Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Midtown NY
    Full Name:
    Arrwin
    +1...although mine is a 993 C4S and not a RUF. :)

23. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Both marques are just too damn awesome, you really need both hah!

24. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    #24 Bill S, Oct 16, 2007
    Excellent thread! Here's something I just posted on another forum. Crazy how close I agree with some of the observations mentioned here...

OK, I knew the GT3 RS vs. CS questions would come. Here's what I can say for sure about driving the GT3 RS on not-so-perfect curvy California mountain roads with lots of bumps, crests, straight-aways, and some very tight turns:

1. The acceleration feels the same as the CS. You need to be above 5-6K to get good throttle response and power. I'd say the throttle response in the CS is faster. The CS "barks" at you when you blip the throttle. The RS kind of barks, but not as violently.
    2. The steering feel in the GT3 RS is noticeably better. It feels more direct. That was a big surprise.
    3. Brakes feel about the same (I have carbon brakes in the CS and steel in the RS).
    4. I couldn't get the car to oversteer, although I could do that in the CS on the same roads. I'd say that's because there's more rubber. I doubt I'll see oversteer on public streets with this car.
    5. After a bump, the car takes a bit longer to settle down. The CS settles nearly immediately (the RS was in sport mode with the hard shock settings). Because of this, I'd say the CS feels more planted then the RS on rough roads.
    6. The CS sound is much better. As the revs increase in the RS, you start to get a nice hollow-like sounds, but nothing like the CS scream. The RS is much quieter.
    7. Of course, the CS F1 is much easier to use. But, the RS shifter and clutch are very good. The shift feel is very short and solid. Not a rubbery feel at all!
    8. The CS has it on visibility, both front and rear. The CS front view is just outstanding.
    9. The car gets a lot of attention, maybe not as much as my CS. My neighbors came by right away to see what the heck I bought after seeing it up a long driveway. The black and orange is strange, beautiful and mean. My neighbor immediately said it reminded him of the 1974 Carrera RS. My wife thought the green RS was "happier" when she saw it at the dealer today. The black and orange feels kind of scary. Maybe because it's halloween colors? The giant rear wing adds to that a bit.
    10. Compared to my Ruf, the RS has noticeably less torque (300 vs 500) and doesn't accelerate nearly as fast. But, the handling and feel is so much better, I don't really mind. The RS feels like it's made from a single block of steel. The Ruf and CS are close, but not really the same. The RS just feels very solid.
    11. High speed stability to 130 MPH was good. I didn't go faster. The CS stability is outstanding at 170+. I'd be surprised if the RS is as good at that speed. The CS just had incredible aerodynamics, top and bottom, with no wing. Looking under the RS, you see the engine and other parts. Looking under the CS you see a giant, smooth venturi tunnel. Porsche is a bit behind Ferrari in the aerodynamics area, at least in the 911 series.
    12. My wife got sick in the RS. She doesn't get sick in the CS. So, I guess I was driving it a bit faster.

Overall, I would say the CS is more fun to drive because of the sound, the F1, the better view, and the better technology, in my opinion. The RS is raw and fun in a different way. I primarily bought it because of what the mags are saying and I liked the way is looks. I also like the fact that not a lot of people have one (I think there's only 200-300 in the US). I also like that Porsche is trying to get back to what everyone loves about 911s. This RS is the first time I even considered buying a Porsche again since my 993 TT, and I am not disappointed... although my wife still likes the "happy" green car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Awesome writeup... I would probably have to say the same thing if I owned both! One thing I suggest you get setup is the suspension, its been a common issue with the setup coming from the factory, unsettling feel over bumps and just overall twitchy! Enjoy them in good health, want to add a GT2?? ;)