Barn Find not Ferrari but still cool | FerrariChat

Barn Find not Ferrari but still cool

Discussion in 'New England' started by mondial86, Oct 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    #1 mondial86, Oct 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As some of you that know me I have been looking for a new car project since I finished my 73 911 2 years ago.I found one in a barn in Bedford. This is a ONE OWNER 4451 MILE ORIGINAL 1958 ALFA 750D. The car will need to come apart to check all mechanical components and will need some paint work. I am trying to keep the originality as nothing has ever been done to this car.Think of it 47 years between tune ups.The best part of the car is the log that is with it. The log has entry's about every drive that the owner took,recording mileage,where they went any service work ,oil changes that is all,where he bought gas and the gas mileage.The last entry in the log was in 1962 when the car had 4375 miles on it. It was a short time after that when the car was pickled up for storage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    That's a great find I'd love to see more pics.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    David,
    That is TOTALLY cool!! How did you ever find it? An accident or some serious detective work?

Congratulations!

Birdman

4. NVLambo

NVLambo Rookie

Oct 9, 2007
    sweet! I dig old Alfas :)

5. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    looks nice and not so bad conditions.
    more pics?

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    #6 Doody, Oct 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Very cool - be ready for the world of unobtanium for any trim parts that are missing :)

Enjoy the project!

8. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Very nice!!! Great idea not over restoring it. Get the mechanics in shape and hit the road with some serious patina! :D

9. douging

douging Karting

Sep 8, 2005
    Lynn
    Full Name:
    Doug
    That is fantastic! I hope you can post updates or a story of how you came across it. Barn Find stories are the best (although my own isn't that entertaining). And what a car to find too. Best of luck on your project.

10. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    I am a good friend of David's and I know he doesn't come on here very often, although I will give him a heads up. I was with him when we picked the car up. Took back to his place and started to clean, scratch and scrape, maybe a little rubbing compound. I thought the car looked great with it's original paint, although with a little patina, the chrome wasn't too bad, a little mold on the interior and the top had a couple of tears in it. I would have cleaned it up, gone through engine, brakes, drivetrain and live with it as a time capsule. David had a different vision. He has gone through it from top to bottom and the car looks fabulous. All the chrome was redone, all bodywork/paint taken care of and it is stunning. He drives it all the time and it is an absolute joy. My point is, his vision was to bring the car to what it looked like when it drove off the floor in 58, and he has that. That is the beauty of restoration, it is very relative to ones wishes, vision and pocketbook! I am sure he will chime in and hopefully supply more pictures.

11. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    I would love to post more pictures but when I try to fchat tells me that I am over my allowed size limit.
    I for the life of me I can not figure that out but I am not the best on a computer.
    The car as David said came out great it took second place in it's class at tutu this year .It would of wone first hands down but I was deducted 35 points because the car had no top!I am still working on finishing the top frame that was in bad shape.
    I think more inportant than winning second the car was one of only several that were judged for best of show!
    It was way cool to have this little old Alfa being judged next to million $$$ cars.It did not place in best of show but it was there.
    Now that it is done I am on the hunt for a new project you guys see anything in a barn let me know.

12. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Hi Dave. You must have run out of the space given to you. You will have to re-subscribe or have someone who is subscribed to post for you.

13. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Fantastic find......Thank goodness it's not still
    sitting in a barn. You should send the old owner some pics.

14. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Good for you. Good luck with the restoration!
    - Ron

15. Ferrarispeed28

Ferrarispeed28 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    NY/AZ
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Congrats on the car! This is one of the best barn find stories I have ever heard and near where I live. Does this car come from the same collection as the barn find Bugatti in Bedford, NY?

16. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    It was in Bedford Mass.
    Was out in her last night.