New supercar from Canada: Locus Plethore | FerrariChat

New supercar from Canada: Locus Plethore

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FrankN, Oct 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FrankN

FrankN Rookie

Jul 6, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Frank N.
  2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I skimmed and didn't see any stats for the car in terms of on track ability. With a price tag like that it had better out perform the CGT/ Enzo fleet.

3. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

This thing is dying a slow death. Hurry up already.

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sorry to seem like a Troll but...

Just another poser car that copies already existing styling without adding ANYTHING new.

The state of car design these days is sad.

5. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Yet when someone does come out with something new, its blasted to bits for not being like something old and familiar...

6. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    not by me...

But I tend to agree with your point

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Anyone have pics of the interior? That will help a lot.

Personally even if it was 50 grand I doubt I would buy it. I can't imagine who would service it, how much replacement part costs would be, reliability. I'd just get a tried and true "beast". This one seems too risky.

8. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    I might be in the minority but that car is stunning - what Lambo and Ferrari could have delievered in the last couple of years.

9. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    That car is so old news.

Now any kitcar builder can make a POS, drop a chevy engine in it that makes a 1000hp and call it a supercar :D

10. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain

yeah 8 times more expenisive and 1/2 as powerful italian motors are the best way to go...

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm with you. Car looks great.

They need to change the name; sounds like either a Star Wars villain or a medical infection.

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Give the guy credit for trying, but there's not a chance the car will be manufactured in any quantity. The development to date to make a viable car has probably reached 5% of what is necessary.

13. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    so... what would it take to make a small time production car company from scratch? Im sure kit cars arnt to terribly difficult but what about a low quantity production vehicle.

How old is pagani? and spyker?

14. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    There was a thread around recently about just that subject...I think conservatively it was ~$10m to get it off the ground.

As with most things in life you can get 80% of the way spending 50% of the money but the other 20% is going to cost you another 50%...thats why there are A)many unfinished attempts and B) many crappy products

15. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    10 mill to develop a production car? you have a link?

Is this just developing a concept or actually going into production? Seems low to me... or maybe we're talking about different end products. Cars like the one in this thread are like someone else said, its a visual rip off thats been done a million times. SCC aero, diablo, bugatti eb110 etc. And spyker went the other way... make a "differnt" car with great material quaity etc. with a healthy price tag and the ONLY thing on its side is "rare" and "exclusive" (IMHO anyway, of course i havnt drivin one but i seriously doubt that would change my mind). Problem is its the ugliest car ive seen in a long time :eek:

So, if someone made a medium priced GT car (supercars are overdone and the buyers are more worried about "look at me" then "check this out"... saleen S7 is my example there). Aim it at 911 turbos, cgts, Aston martins etc. with a unique but somewhat conservative look, great material quality, and to keep cost down and power high... a GM LSX motor... Then again theres a problem. Exotic buyers seem prefer fancy and exclusive over function (which boggles my mind BTW).

Oh and the most important thing... build it so it doesnt look like a kit car especially on the inside. Mix pagani build quality, aston martin level styling, and make up the cost with a $12k consumer cost motor (Ls7). Maybe that would help...

16. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    actually exterior wise its a very attractive car. Not as much diablo as i rememberd from when i saw it MONTHS ago. I do remember the interior sucked though.

17. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That is the first time I have heard ANYBODY call the Briklin a "supercar".
    As for the Locus, I like it. It has a really agressive look to it.

18. jonnypops

jonnypops Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    reminds me of the koenigsegg

19. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Towards the end of this thread we start to address the costs http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165808

The ~$10m (conservative) figure is just for development.

The problem with trying to do a medium priced car to compete with Porsche is you're going to need a lot of volume which means infrastructure. And thats going to cost even more than doing the 'supercar'.

I would get more into it but gotta run to brunch !

20. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ha ha, I had a laugh when I read that too.
    As for ten million to develop a new car, you wouldn't get much for that.

21. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I do agree, whoever the designer is just took bits from other cars and put them all together in this design, but it does look good. The name is terrible and needs to be changed but I do like how the car looks.

22. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Its not a bad thing or anything like that the cars design is right for the job its just the lack of inovation that I hate about these new "Kitcars with idenitiy crisis" I hate the most. I would be embarrised if I can get the same engine in my "Supercar" from JEGS. The design of the outside is awsome but they could have done better with the engine of choice than another Chevy powered "Supercar" :D

Even if they made a cheesey little wannabe Vtec like engine that was designed, casted, engineered by this company I think that would be awsome, the car would certainly grab my attention but people are now lazy these days. Supercars have become almost like fliping propertys where people buy a POS, make it look pretty and sell it for quick profit.

Whatever happened to the days where you hitup the drawing board and designed the whole car from the ground up? now adays people get a tube chassis, build there own body and give JEGS a call for the power plant and try and sell some bulls***, I don't care if its making the base 350hp or 1500hp if you didn't design the motor yourself and had to barrow it for a sportcars car iam not interested.

Personally id rather have a used 91 Diablo or an F40 cause I know the italians put there heart and soul into it.

23. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain

so what about Mclaren f1? or pagani? koineggseg? (bmw, MB, Ford)

dont most small time makers with their own motors have serious problems and end up getting someone elses? TVR?

IIRC saleens motor is based off of fords nascar motor but is their own casting. So does that help?

The F40 stole took a motor from its base car, does that effect it?

...wait a second... your name is pantera :eek:

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Any word on it's actual driving feel?

This isn't the Avro Arrow of the 21st Century for Canada?

25. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    regurgitated styling, more cliche' than innovation...just like a corvette.