Dashboard backlights not working? | FerrariChat

Dashboard backlights not working?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by fuentesa3, Oct 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fuentesa3

fuentesa3 Rookie

Jun 15, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Arturo
    The backlights on the display for the speedo and tach stoped working along with the fuel and oil pressure gauges on the center console ('86 euro version). I changed all the fuses, still no luck. Clock and radio still work also indicators for brake, battery, trunk, etc. still work. Anyone have this problem? Any suggestions?

2. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

type of car?

3. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I presume it's a TR given the section it's posted in.

Could it be the instrument panel rheostat for the backlight problem?

4. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Type was asked since there are differences between the TR and the 512 electrics, not to mention the boxer.

Is that a common problem? How is it resolved?
    My tach is non functional, but I have noticed that if you fiddle with that rheostat the tach jumps around a bit.
    Very odd.

5. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hid did say 86, making it TR. Don't think the rheostat is a common problem, but since he said fuses were OK I thought that might be another area he could investigate.

6. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Ah. He did write 86. You are correct. Again. :cool:

That rheostat is in a particularly hard area to get at, since the odometer is right there.
    There are two white connection blocks right behind that upright housing that might be investigated.
    While I was looking at the connections to the tach, I noticed that someone had cut the wires for the 2 lights that are for the open boot and bonnet lights.

7. fuentesa3

fuentesa3 Rookie

Jun 15, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Arturo
    It is in fact a 1986 Testarossa (Euro specs). I'll check the connections you mentioned. What would be the best way to get to them? Any other ideas as to what the problem might be?

8. bryanm268

bryanm268 Rookie

Sep 2, 2007
    Louisville,KY.
    Full Name:
    Bryan Marshall
    Are your lis plate lights working??????? Side marker lights? All are on the same fuse.Check mt post if yes to my Q. Let me know...Bryan

9. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

They aren't hard to get to at all.
    You can find them by laying on the passenger side floor and reaching behind the upright center console, unless they have been tied up. A mirror helps if you can't find them.