Ceramic coated headers and new exhaust for the 308 | FerrariChat

Ceramic coated headers and new exhaust for the 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by etip, Oct 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 etip, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Who did the work?

3. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA. Came highly reccomended.

4. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Do they offer color choices?

5. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes. If you go on their website they offer everything from a chrome like finish, to titanium, to black. I went with the dark gray because I will be breaking in the motor on start up and per their advice, it is the most durable finish. They said that the other finishes hold up best if you heat cycle them, but that's not an option in my case.

http://www.performancecoatings.com/

6. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Wow! Looks great. Keep us posted with your progress of the rebuild.

7. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks. I will; I'm doing either 10/1 or 10.25/1 pistons, I have fresh euro heads with stainless valves and a 3angle. degreeing in the cams, aluminum cam gears, all emissions equipment gone, replacing all bearings, etc....

At some point in the future I'll upgrade cams, ignition, and injection, but my budget is running low and I want to be sure all of the internals are taken care of correctly.
    That said, it should be quite spunky for an "old slow 2 valve"!!!!

8. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    It looks nice but I'm curious why you did not have the lower exhaust shields removed on the headers. Shouldn't the ceramic coating reduce heat dissipation? I mean isn't that the main purpose (a small hp increase being a possible by-product).

9. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I believe I have a crack in my front header, and am seriously contimplating doing exactly the same thing this winter with my headers and main collection pipe (84 QV). Big question - I just looked over a friends headers (he's pulling the whole engine for a rebuild) and noted that the headers are jacketed in aluminum heat shields that are very thin - it was recommended to just cut these off. My question is, once the inner pipes are blasted/ceramic-coated, can you re-weld the aluminum shields back on? Is there an advantage? I was thinking of re-attaching them, and possibly having them re-coated as well with something. Thoughts?

10. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    The Alu. heat shields are meant to hold heat in and keep it away from the alternator, fuel tanks etc. The ceramic coating is also meant to keep heat in the headers so I don't see the point in keeping the heat shields. They make the headers more awkward to remove and install, make it harder to get to and tighten the bolts and can be a source of noise/vibration if not attached well.

11. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    I made a nice stainless heat shield for the Alternator and another for the starter motor just to be safe. It was recommended by some of the more senior experienced members here on FChat. You're choice, though.
    Thor

12. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I was wondering if you would share a ballpark cost of the coating and port removal? I am rebuilding my 308 also and just finished taking the heat covers off the headers. Looks like they did a nice job for you. Thanks.

13. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I feel that the added protection from the heat is worth keeping the heat shields on. Yes, reduced underhood temp is one of the main reasons to ceramic coat the headers, but I don't trust that alone. I've toasted too many starters in my old Dart race car to go without heat shields. Added protection is always worth it in my book.

14. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric

I don't have the bill in front of me, but I think the total with tax was $385 or so. The removing and welding over the emissions ports was $85. I actually only wanted them to clean up/grind down the welds that were there (someone had welded over them at one point) but they went ahead and completely removed and patched the ports. I think the cleaning and ceramic coating was $285. Again, there were other coatings, like a chrome-like coating that were a little more.