Sebastian Vettel to McLaren? | FerrariChat

Sebastian Vettel to McLaren?

Discussion in 'F1' started by senna21, Oct 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    That question was posed by Pitpass ( http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_feature_item.php?fes_art_id=33173 ) and I for one would love to see it. Many have said here and I'll agree that LH has never had to show his stuff in a mediocre car. Vettel on the other hand has and has proven to be one that can take poor machinery and finish well above where it should be finishing. Many a driver after a humiliating mistake in Japan would not be able to bounce back with a drive like his in changing conditions in China. Add to the mix he's a German and Merc would love to have a German in their car the plausibility of him getting the possible vacated McLaren seat gains strength. It could be a devastating line up of young talent for Ron and Merc. The only spoiler is Vettel's a BMW graduate driver and he's thought to still have contractual obligations to them. But, with BMW solid in their driver line up they may not argue too much. I'm also sure Red Bull would love the extra cash from a contract buy out.

What are your thoughts? Who would you like to see get put in the catbird's seat?

2. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Vettel in a Mclaren... That would work but I'm not to sure BMW would let him go easily now that he's shwon what he's got

3. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    He is already released from his BMW contract in order to race for Torro Rosso.

4. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I thought he was on loan?

5. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    He's already contracted with STR for 08. I don't think Gerhard would give him up so easily, after he's been quoted as saying he wouldn't want a talented driver for only one season. Perhaps if Ron was willing to throw a lot of money at Gerhard, but would he do that after forking over $100 million to the FIA?

I can't see it in the near future.

6. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    While I would like to see Vettel in a competitive car as soon as possible, I would much rather him wait to go back to BMW in 2009 once they have a car that can compete for wins.

-John

7. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    If he is truly as talented as we're seeing (and it's not just a fluke) - I'm sure he could probably squeeze more results out of a BMW than a Torro Rosso. BMW is very close and since F1 comes down to "fractions" separating good talent from great talent maybe Vettel could be the key to bringing BMW directly into the fray!

8. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Vettel managed 8th at Indy in the BMW, Heidfeld did better than he did, but he was relatively unfamiliar with the car.

9. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
  10. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    He is outdriving the defending 2X WDC in the same car. What is it, exactly, that you think he has to do in a mediocre car to further prove his talent?

In a mediocre car he will have a mediocre teammate and therefore be at least a second a lap faster. OK? There it is. Can we move on from this nonsensical point now?

11. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    It's not the beating a mediocre team mate in a crap car that's impressive, it's beating drivers in better cars that's impressive. Granted he is beating a 2x WDC in the same car and I respect that and give him a lot of credit for that, but I still think it would be entertaining to see him use his talents in sub par machinery.

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I'm not sure what the connection is between Lewis Hamilton and Vettel in this context. I would love to see ALL drivers in a competitive car to know what everyone's potential really is. Enter, reality. Lewis Hamilton has been in the McLaren program for years, and in his first season at the top he has excelled. Sure, I'd love to see how Vettel could do in the car, but your suggestions about Hamilton are unfounded because he has done extremely well with the best machinery. That's not always a given--Herbert, Rubens, Irvine, Fisi. It's easy to assess relative performance at Team A, but don't forget about environmental dynamics that vary tremendously from team to team. Vettel, for all we know, could completely wither in the McLaren environment. Maybe not. But I think that if Hamilton had started in a lesser team, he would have shone. If you need another example of lower-team success not translating, I have two words for you: Mark Webber.

13. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    while i don't take anything away from LH, he's got the goods, but...excelling in a top car isn't entirely the same as doing it in mid or backadagrid machinery. of course, he'd likely still outperform his teammate by a mile, but driving a pig would at least show where his strengths and weaknesses really are, nomatter how small they may be. a top car can hide or gloss over such things.

14. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    that's just plain silly. He's proven himself by putting himself on the brink of winning the WDC as a rookie. Can you guys PLEASE show this kid some respect? I love Kimi but he hasn't come this close when he had a great McLaren and with a great Ferrari car this year. LH is the real deal and is here to stay. Getting into a STR or Spyker to prove his worth is pointless. He's beat THE best in the game right now and that's Kimi and FA. I don't think Webber, DC, or even Button could do the same. Only Heidfeld has proven himself to be a real threat in a better car

15. anguruso

anguruso Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Hong Kong/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Angus Cheng
    STR is a dead end team, they're even talking about using this years car in 2008, ridiculous. Gerhard's only signed Vettel for such a long time so that he can sell Vettel in 2008 or 2009 and pump a bit of cash into his team.

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I would like to see Alonso in a mediocre ill handling car.

17. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I'm pretty sure in my post I said I give him respect for what he's done this year and didn't mention anything about him having to prove himself by stepping down a team. I simply stated it would be entertaining to see if he would be a head above the rest of the mid-pack were he driving a mid-pack car. Lewis has talent, he has loads and loads of talent, sorry for thinking it would be fun to watch to see him prove it in another form than he already has. You must admit watching Vettel in the STR before he wrecked was as exciting if not more than watching Lewis' podium runs at the beginning of the season.

18. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I disagree. Everyone knows what the top cars are, which means your results are as transparent as it gets. Look at Kimi--not only does he have the pressure of driving for Ferrari, but he has to match or beat McLaren. Mid- and lower-field cars are more of an unknown entity. Driving a pig will only show how you stack up against your Team-Pig teammate. The only thing beating your teammate means is that you're probably better than your teammate (Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce the #1 driver from Spyker...).

19. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I really hope he won't go to our beloved cheater team. I like Vettel (okay, may be a bit of local patriotism, he grew up not far from where I live), I'd rather see him in a BMW - or, if he proves to be good, in a Ferrari ;)

20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1000

+1000

21. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Get him in the Mc great to see to the young ones battling in top cars..;)

22. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Get him in the Ferrari and we have a deal :D

23. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    Vettel is a great bet for the future - like Hamilton,Kubica,Rosberg

Put Gary Paffett in the McLaren as RD originally planned to do and let him make LH "work the wheel" even harder.