italian barbecue | FerrariChat

italian barbecue

Discussion in '308/328' started by FRONTYARDRESTOGUY, Oct 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FRONTYARDRESTOGUY

Oct 6, 2006
    weymouth ma
    Full Name:
    robert distasio
    sad to report the untimely death of my 79 308 gtb. filled up with gas and the attendant came around and "topped off my tank" for me. all i could smell on the 2 mile ride home was gas, then smoke. i pulled over once i smelt and seen the smoke but it was too late. funny thing was, fire started on the passenger side of the engine compartment. anyone needing parts let me know.

2. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Sad to hear about your lose. What was the cause? Do you have pics?

3. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Bummer, sorry to hear about your car. :(

Hope your insurance covers it so you can buy another one. Yes, it wont be HER but it will be another Ferrari.......

Glad you weren't hurt !!!!!!

James in Denver

4. FRONTYARDRESTOGUY

Oct 6, 2006
    weymouth ma
    Full Name:
    robert distasio
    i think it was the ethanol in the gas combined with the extra pressure of topping off the tank

5. FRONTYARDRESTOGUY

Oct 6, 2006
    weymouth ma
    Full Name:
    robert distasio
    i had some coverage. i am now saving towards a 550

6. Yamaric

Yamaric Karting

Apr 7, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Dalgleish
    What a total shame, Sorry for your loss.

7. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sorry for your loss but if you are serious about the parts I need the clear glass lense that is in front of the actuall mirror for my 328. Not sure if it is the same mirror as the later model 308's.

8. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Really sorry to hear your news, must be gutted. Hope the insurance comes in and you're back behind an F-Car wheel soon!

9. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Glad you're okay, perhaps its a sign that you really need a 550 instead....

10. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    I'm very sorry for your loss. Hope everything turns out for the best and you can get the 550

If it is an injected 308 I would like the Warm Up Regulator ....

11. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Wow, sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved 308. That must have been quite a shock. Glad to hear that you are ok, hopefully you will be searching for your next prancing horse soon.

I'm not sure if its the same on the 308 as on the 328, but if you are "parting out" the car I could use a new cap for my windshield washer resevoir.
    Please email or PM me when you get a chance.

Best regards and again sorry about your 308. May she rest in peace.
    Dino

12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    *bows head and takes a moment of silence*

So sorry, looking at the bright side (you had insurance and are planning on a 550) still doesn't help the fact that another 308 is gone.

May she rest in peace.

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    A fellow GTB bites the dust. That is sad. I feel your loss :(

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    If it started on the passenger side I would vote for a failure/leak in the connection hose on the lower fule crossover pipe.

People always talk about belts and religiously replacing them.... but the second most important items to replace IMO are the filler neck hose, crossover hoses and all the smaller fuel supply hoses if they are over 10 years old.

Sorry for the loss.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    +1. Rotted fuel hoses is the problem...a shame, but good luck on the 550 search! ;)

16. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Robert,

very sad to hear of your loss. Glad no one was hurt and you have insurance.

Shortly after i got my 77, i smelled gas after filling up and parking on a slight right hand slope in front of my house. Gas was just pouring out of the right rocker panel - i carefully opened the engine cover and saw a fountain of gas errupting from one of the tiny fabric covered vent hoses on the right tank. Since the left tank was higher than the right, the gas was seeking level, flowing from left to right tank and out the funky vent hose.

I took this as a small hint and replaced every fuel and vent hose.

Hope your loss will spur others to get rid of the old hoses.

Good luck with the 550.

chris

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I did the same on my previous 78 308GTS back in 2001, had every coolant and fuel hose replaced. The fuel filler neck hose was the worst, but all of them were in need of replacement. To be expected after 23 years!

18. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Sorry man, that stinks. Can't she be repaired with the insurance money? If you decide not too, I'd love to have the spare tire tie down and one screw driver. But, I'd rather see her fixed...

19. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Sorry to hear about your loss, did you have an agreed apon value with your insurance company?? If it's like a 328 then there is a fuel line that goes from the fill neck to the right side tank, I guess if you get an air bubble in the left side tank while filling then the fuel has a place to go before spilling out the fill line and all over the car. Mabe there was a crack/hole in the rubber line that goes into the right side tank, spilling fuel down the tank. Good luck in your search for your next Ferrari

20. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    My guess is the vent hoses at the top of the passenger side tank. That seems to go along with the "topping off" adding enough extra gas to force it up out of the vent hoses. Even when folks do the big cross-over hoses, too often either the crossover vent hose at the top or the three little hoses that go up to the charcoal filter above the passenger tank get completely neglected or are left alone because they tend to be a PITA to change. From what I've seen, those hoses are often on there without clamps, and when they get old and pressure builds up in there, you've got a leak, which will pour down the side of the tank right onto the front exhaust manifold. Obviously, this is just a guess, not having seen the car, but I'd bet money that was the source, not the big hose at the bottom.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Glad you're okay. Cars can be replaced, people can't.

Also, for all of us with these 30 y.o. cars, another good reason to carry a good fire extinguisher.