paint chips | FerrariChat

paint chips

Discussion in '360/430' started by coledoggy, Oct 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    i took my stradale out today for a pretty hard ride on some back roads with other cars. anyway i got alot of paint chips. i know painting the front bumper is no biggie, and i'm not worried about cost of painting either. but my problem is the hood and front quarter panels recieved some unsightly chips as well. i dont have a 3m shield on it.
    what are some options. i know resell will take a hit with a complete front repaint, but i really dont like the paint chips, any advice??

2. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    the car also has a factory stripe too. so not sure how to get one of those either.

3. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    360's chip that is all there is to it. Take pictures of the chips (for a potential buyer) and have it painted. If it is done properly it shouldn't hurt the resale. My car had the bumper and fender repainted (it was chipped) it was done properly and matches and looks perfect.

4. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    If you intend to keep the car for awhile and the chips bother you, have the areas in question re-sprayed and then apply paint protection film. If the chips did not completely penetrate the clear or damage the actual paint you may not have to replace the stripe. Have an authorized Ferrari collision shop or other reputable Ferrari body shop examine the damage.

5. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Re-paints on front bumpers or other areas, due to chips....IS ACCEPTIBLE and not considered a "ding" to the car's value.

IF you drive your car, THEN you will get chips. Tis the nature of things.

One day, anyone who reads this will be decomposing in the ground. One day, our cars too will be doomed to a similar fate. My point being: it's a fleeting suspension of disbelief that things don't end. Protect your car, garage your car, treat your car well.....but don't worship it. Drive it. Drive it like each day may be the last time you ever get to drive it, drive it like you stole it. :)

There are some pretty talented rock-chip repair guys out there. You can fill the chips and blend them out pretty well. When the accumulation gets excessive....just get it re-painted. Don't think twice about it. The depreciation for such a repaint pales in comparison to miles & the years that pass.

As for the 3M stuff...it looks lousy over time as well. All in all, I don't believe in it. Never follow behind SUV's, trucks or Semi's that have a high departure angle behind their rear wheels....they'll speckle ya with debris. As for spirited drives, that's the price you pay for fun. Don't sweat it.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agreed. Not just 360s, but all low sports cars. The 360 just has a massive painted frontal area.

Regarding the film, what I've noticed with the 3M film is it doesn't always adhere perfectly around the edge, and lifts over time. Looks awful.

Then there are today's smart stones that manage to evade film-protected areas and land 1cm from the edge -- apparently the stones are now equipped with paint-sensing guidance devices.

7. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Here in the Silicon Valley lies the forefront of paint-sensing guidance technology. I blue taped 95% of my front bumper for a sprited drive, and guess where the rocks decided to land?

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm such a clear guard guy, but I just can't bring myself to put that film on my hood. The car's bumper was resprayed, incredibly well I might add, prior to me purchasing it. I will guard the bumper, but the hood will remain naked. I don't drive mine on the highway at high speeds often.

9. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    I hate to spoil the fun but maybe they landed all over.....it's just you left 5% uncovered? ;)

10. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    not to ask a stuprid question, but can those real small chips be "buffed" out?

11. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    It depends if the small chip is in the clear coat or down to the substrate. If it is shallow enough in the clear, a light ultra fine sanding (2000 grit) and then polish may work. Todd PM me and I can give you the info on one of my customers in Hattiesburg that can take care of it.

12. peterb

peterb Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    milan italy
    Full Name:
    peter ross
    i had the front bumper of my stradale painted this summer. i still have some chips on the hood but will wait awhile till painting the hood. in any case. if you use the car the paint will chip. i have also noticed that the ferrari paint is very light coated and it is really easy to chip the car. with the front bumper of the 360 or cs it is really impossible not to chip the paint.

13. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    what? I'm decomposing right now as I type, I ain't waiting to die.

And cars are decomposing whether driven or not. Eat, drink, be merrye [and drive], for tomorrow we die.

PS. an anal alternative -- be like my pal Joshstein who put his RS in a prophalactic, he covered the entire car in 3m... still didn't feel safe and sold it before his car got AIDS. But then again, he lives in SFO.:)

14. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
  15. Mrg360

Mrg360 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2007
    Australia (Sydney)
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My spirited drive two weeks ago has destroyed the paint on my Black ( nero daytona ) 360

I couldn't believe what happened in just one drive of many.:(

I'm biting the bullet and getting a respray at the best Ferrari shop in Sydney.

16. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    it really is nausiating, especially with black.