Visiting NYC this sun/mon/tues what to do? | FerrariChat

Visiting NYC this sun/mon/tues what to do?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Cicero, Oct 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    wife and I are coming to NYC for a biz meeting and have
    sunday from 1pm til whenever......
    monday morning til 3pm free
    monday evening free

staying at the W Hotel.

What to do with limited time? Thinking of walking around SoHo and eating at Tavern on the Green at some point. Any suggestions?

We enjoy people, food and drink be it fancy or local dive. Don't really have time for shows so trying to do the hit and run tour. I've been to NYC 3 times on biz, but she has never been.

2. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
  3. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Which W? At Times Square? If so, then you should have plenty to do in the time you're there...

4. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    If you are at Times Square, there's BBKings bar and grill if you're into music, it's a bit overpriced, or if you really are into music, Les Paul plays at the Iridium on Mondays http://www.iridiumjazzclub.com/talent.php?talent=1&month=10&year=2007 there's Gray's Papaya, which would be a cool tourist attraction around the Port Authority (I forget what streets, I just know how to drive there/walk there from the surrounding area,) that used to be cool when it was WAY cheaper, now it's not as cool unless you've seen some movie about it... Serendipity's for their frozen chocolate drink?

There's also that nice Italian Restaurant which I can't for the life of me remember, but it's pretty famous from the amount of people I talk to that know about it... I'll try to remember...

5. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Aww.. Serendipity! That's one of the only chick flicks I like. I have to go there! :D

6. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    hahaha it's pretty good, only thing is no reservations so you just have to wait it out...

7. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Carmine's thats the name of the spot I was thinking of...

8. veryfast355

veryfast355 Karting

Sep 24, 2007
    gt neck long island
    Full Name:
    michael c
    stay away from tavern on the green- big tourist trap.
    go down to west broadway and prince street area where all the restaurants and shops are much more calm and relaxing.

9. tl731

tl731 Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2004
    Staten Island , NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas L.
    Il Becco on 44th between 8th and 9th is a great place to eat , Lydia Bastianich's place
    Food is always perfecto !!!

10. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    so is it better to take trains instead of renting a car in new york?

11. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon

forget the rental and the trains. Just take cabs.

For tourist stuff, you'll want midtown
    Museums - uptown - or 53rd for MOMA
    Real NYC Culture - just go downtown.

There are good restaurants everywhere - from brooklyn to little italy to the theater district, to upper west side to.....

12. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    thanks for the info

13. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I looked into renting a car for my trip, as well. It was about $500 for Thurs - Sun and the alternative is $25 for a train pass + cabs. It would probably be a hassle up there to drive anyways. I'm a crappy driver in Florida, I can't imagine myself in NYC. Yikes! :eek:

14. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    so true, I hate times square, and tavern on the green, biggest rip off, not THAT good

walk across the brooklyn bridge, its amazing

15. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    haha.. atleast you are honest about your driving.
    How much are train passes? for a couple of days.. I would be flying in from san fran and would be there on december.
    On a second note.... how long is the drive from san fran or La to Florida and has anyone here done it? Speed traps to be aware of?
    I would be be in the states for a month and would be in NY and San fran.. but would love to drive ard.. san fran to LA, and maybe Miami. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

16. NomadM3

NomadM3 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Damon
    San Francisco to LA.....now that's a drive. Definately do that if you want to spend a day driving. PCH (rt. 1) the whole way.

San Fran to Miami or NY?? No way. If you're only here for a month, fly to those places if you'd like to see them. Both are great cities and should be seen, but both are about 3000 miles+ away from the west coast. Do the math.

If there are any other questions ask away. You just named four of my five favorite US cities.

17. NomadM3

NomadM3 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Damon
    Oh, and to the OP.

SoHo is a great little place to walk around. If the wife (or you) likes shopping, 5th ave all the way. The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) is great (5th ave above central park, i believe at 53rd st.) Be advised though, most museums close at 5-5:30 (somewhere around that time). Work that into your schedule accordingly.

Little Italy has some great restaurants. My advice for food: Avoid the places you always hear about (because you're an out of towner), they're most likely tourist traps. Wander around the area around whichever attractions you pick. Look at menus posted outside and pick a restaurant. I've done this countless times and have rarely been disappointed.

18. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Many thanks for the information.

i would be flying from san fran to NY and to LA.. and would probably drive La to SF.. but since its gonna take the whole day.. i might just take a flight.. Was thinking of squeezing Miami into the equation. hmm.
    5th avenue sounds like a deal... care to share where the showrooms are in NY for lambo and Ferrari's?

19. RolexNJ

RolexNJ Rookie

Oct 24, 2006
    NJ & South MA
    Full Name:
    Rob
  20. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name: