Too good to be true? | FerrariChat

Too good to be true?

Discussion in '308/328' started by RAM, Oct 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAM

RAM Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Morris
    I have been patiently watching several classifieds, including e-Bay, for the 'right' 308. One has suddenly popped up on e-Bay that is priced way below what would be expected, and I assume that there is going to be a fair bit to do on the car as a result. However, one or two people on FC have said to watch for just this- a car with a reduced price because of the need for some care. In this case it is an '85 308 QV priced around $15K. Assuming that it at least runs, how bad can it get? Would I be wise to just skip it, and look for a car that is sure to have been cared for?

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes.

3. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Skip it.

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It will almost certainly cost more to make right than it will be worth. But if you are planing to do the work yourself because you enjoy doing it, it might be a fine car for you.

5. RAM

RAM Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Morris
    I figured that it was likely not worth my time, but had to ask because of that piece of advice that I had been given on a different thread.

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It might be a decent car and need very little....you just never know. For that price I would look at it at least..it may never be a show car, but if you want a driver it might be fine.

7. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    See this thread and read the story of the seller on ebay and ask yourself if you still want a 15K 308QV....
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171197

James in Denver

8. RAM

RAM Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Morris
    Yeah, kind of what I figured. Different car... likely similar story. I think that I will stick to a good car. :)

9. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    You can get a great car that is underpriced. You just have to be a very educated and smart shopper. You also need a wee bit of luck. I bought a sight-unseen car for under market value and made out like a bandit -- but I got a motivated seller who was EXTREMELY trustworthy. I asked the right questions, and he answered them with great and honest answers. I got the car I wanted, and he was able to take my money and roll it into a 348 he wanted.

So just make sure you have everything you need to make an educated decision...then go to see the car. You can always walk away. (I've walked away from plenty of cars!!!)

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Rick, can you post some pics of the car?

11. RAM

RAM Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Morris
    You know, surprisingly, it 'disappeared' from eBay. I think that it was pulled by eBay, so something must have been afoot.

I will just continue to watch for the right car. :)

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like another scam anyway. Usually is when it's too good to be true

13. RAM

RAM Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Morris
    That is exactly what I was saying this morning when I saw it.

14. 308-newbie

308-newbie Guest

check cars.com, 20k 308 that frankly sounds too good to be true. It's in AZ if it is still around.

15. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    There was a 20K blue/tan (well, blue/creme) car that had 100k miles for sale out of Arizona maybe 6 months ago. Sold to someone here on FChat. I spoke with the owner several times, but never closed the deal because
    1) it was higher mileage and condition showed, not a "bad" car, just that it was EXACTLY a 20k car, needed interior restored, hoses replace, major, etc.......
    2) the owner did not have the title in his name, it was still on the california owner's name, just a bit fishy for me
    3) the owner appeared to be a dealer and was "turning" the car relatively rapidly, made me wonder

That said, after talking to the owner, he did seem like a nice guy, and eventually put the title in his name prior to a sale. Someone here bought it, and I've always wondered how they made out with the car. Did it turn out to be a decent driver? or a sob story like that ebay seller I posted above.

There was also a recent ebay sale of a 400i 5-speed here in colorado that was bought site-unseen but was burning oil (like an oil field in Iraq).

I'm sure there are deals out there, but you have to be careful.

James in Denver

16. RAM

RAM Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Keller, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Morris
    The one in AZ has basically no info. Maybe it is just me, but I don't want to waste my time on a car that has absolutely no info posted.

17. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    james, I remember that car, I also talked to the owner in az,I wanted a blue car but to many issues that were un resolved, If I remember he told me that it was in storge for a long time and had no history, well as bad as I wanted a blue 308 I walked away from it I'm glad