How much to get this running again? | FerrariChat

How much to get this running again?

Discussion in '308/328' started by fcardesire, Oct 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fcardesire

fcardesire Karting

Aug 7, 2007
    Greater LA
    Full Name:
    Frank M.
  2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    5 or 6K if you do it yourself, 10-12k at a shop I'd guess.

BTW, I have a set of rods and a crank that should fit listed on ebay right now.....and someone just asked me if the rods would fit a 78.

3. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I remember when this one was discussed on FChat when it was for sale on Ebay. ......

Bummer, another sad ebay story..... I feel bad for the purchaser.

James in denver

4. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    This is what I would budget for the low end. Add another 50% to cover other "while you are at it" and phantom issues.

5. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    The mechanical issues are one thing but I can't get past the garrish body work...to ricer for me. Some things simply cannot be improved upon. A 308 is in this category. Taste is personal though and I'm sure there are some who like these "modifications".

6. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Looks like a lost cause to me. The leather on the seats is shot too and how well does all that body work fit together?

You'd have to like the look of all that body work too.

7. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I know a little about the car as it was in the same shop where my car is being rebuilt. It was an original dry sump car. Needs a motor and it couldn't be fixed reasonably. The easiest fix would be a new motor; rebuilding would run high teens to twenty, but even so, they weren't able to find a suitable motor for it.

8. junkyarddog

junkyarddog Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    Palatka, FL
    Full Name:
    Kelly Lake
    It's a shame there are sellers like that...I really like the flares on that car though. Hope it gets back on the road.

9. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sellers like what? I didn't read that he was mis-representing the car in any way. Oh.... do you mean the guy who sold HIM the car?? Yeah, that's bogus....

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Being a "child of the 70's and 80's" I almost like the body. Too bad it's trashed mechanically.

How is your car coming along? I may have a chance to swing by the shop next week.

11. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    This is somewhat scary, since the guy doesn't even know how to spell the name of his hometown correctly. (Puyallup.)

Maybe Bartmondial and I will have to go out and check out this lost-cause 308GTB after passing on the fire-damaged yellow one last week!!! This one is only about 45 minutes away.

12. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Unless the engine block and/or the heads are irreparably damaged, the motor very-much CAN be rebuilt. With the motor out of the car, a knowledgable buyer can thoroughly inspect 'what's up' and make an accurate assessment of the project - this car, on those grounds, is in a better position than most other project cars.

13. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah, I looked at the car when it was at A of T and I thought it was a neat car. They were trying to find a motor for it, as rebuilding would have been very expensive (trust me... I know)
    My car is coming along. Everything is at the machine shop. I send my order for new 10:1 pistons this week. Heads are done and fresh top to bottom, exhaust is ceramic coated and new (used) stainless exhaust is here. I went with the aluminum cam gears so we can degree the cams a little more accurately (plus they are cheaper). It's going to get new main and rod bearings. Car should be pretty nice when it's done- very responsive with the increased CR and HP.
    At some point (read: long time) in the future, I'll maybe swap cams and induction and make it really fast....