BMW being investigated !! MAJOR BREAKING NEWS ***SPOILER*** | Page 5 | FerrariChat

BMW being investigated !! MAJOR BREAKING NEWS ***SPOILER***

Discussion in 'F1' started by peajay, Oct 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I don't think it should affect the race outcome no matter what. They did not pass anyone to interfere with the final points involved with the championship.

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Imagine how many times each drive floors the gas. Every little HP could mean that it took them a little less time to get around the track, keep cars behind them, drive further on a tank of gas, pass a little more easily, accelerate quicker, draft better etc. Them not being in the race for the championship doesn't carry weight with the decision, or at least it SHOULDN'T.

Just think, if these cars were slower, Lewis could have gotten by, other cars could have tangled with them etc. The possibilities are endless.

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The story I read said there was only a few degrees difference. WTF?

4. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I think the F1 website knows something we all don't take a look at their poll they have up... Personally none of them were my driver of the day.

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    They are wedged in DIRECTLY with the points in this race. "Interfere" could be exactly what they did.

6. Lukas

Lukas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Lukas A. Niklasson
    Oh this really sucks...now i cannot go to sleep feeling all happy about todays race.

7. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    I think it's a little more than that. I think 10-13C is about 5.5F. But again, not much you'd think when the track temp was 145!

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No way: The 3 degrees is so miniscule, that temperature difference is gone by the time the car leaves the pit exit. Think about the insane temperatures inside a F1 car. And these run at 145 F track temp. The "chilling" effect of those extra 3 degrees is laughable.

9. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    they said the fuel temp would not have effected the results so why should it matter, o yeah bernie wants hamilton to win if they disqualify bmw cars, I dont even know but I doubt i can support the sport anymore

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Thats a very good point Andreas, how much do you want to bet the fuel is stored in large temperature controlled vats prior to loading into the fuel rig. If Ferrari loaded their fuel 2 hours before BMW and Williams, it would make a big difference in temperature, *especially* if the fuel rig was sitting in a shaded garage where it would take longer to come up to ambient anyway.

If the FIA choose to pursue this, it will not go down easily. I would be willing to wager, however, that the fuel from the other teams was checked as well.

Come to think about it is there any list of which teams use which fuel? If BMW and Williams use the same fuel as each other (which I dont think they do), then it could be an honest mistake. If BMW or Williams use the same fuel as other competitors who'se fuel was NOT out of spec, then it would raise eyebrows. If BMW/Williams had made special instructions to have their rigs filled at a later time, one might surmise that they knew this would give an advantage.

The thing I wonder - temperature is such a fleeting thing. If the fuel in the rig was too cold, would it not have warmed up during the race to within 10 of ambient? And if so, then it means the samples were taken early - but you'd have to test for temp almost immediately because taking a small vial over to a testing area would in itself warm it up.

I would be very curious as to what the exact testing method is and whether it could have been corrupted. Temperature is such a hard thing to test other than instantaneously, so there could definitely have been some mistakes during the data collection.

11. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    I would think that the ambient temps in/around the cars would negate much of the performance advantage. The major benefit would seem to be fuel flow at the stop more than anything else.

12. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    1°F? They were out by about 3°C or even more. That's over 5°F 1°C = 1.8° F

What parameters can Ferrari bring into play?

13. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Actually during a live ITV interview on the grid Bernie said he wanted Alonso to win, he said it was too soon for Hamilton, his time would come

14. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Ferrari will have no say in it - it would be between the FIA, Williams and BMW, IMO.

15. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    BMW = Petronas
    Williams = Petrobras

16. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    yeah i believe that... no, hamiltons his cash cow please way to draw new support to the sport

17. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    from the bbc (again)

"Filling the car with cooler fuel can give a performance advantage.

Cooler fuel is denser, so either it can mean it takes slightly less time to refuel the car or marginally more can be added in the same time.

And it would give a slight power advantage for about three laps before it returned to ambient temperature out on the track."

18. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Plus they knew they were being tested. What could they hope to gain? I'm thinking some sort of calibration issue is the root.

19. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    3 degrees on a 145 degree circuit youve got to be kidding

20. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    It depens on how much you want to stick to the rules.

If the FIA says "we dont need to KNOW you did it to take your points, just that you could have", then the same logic would be applicable to BMW/Williams and they could legitimately say "over the limit is over the limit - that's that". Another reasonable question would be - if McLaren can be within the limit, how can the others not be?

Lets face it - this is either an honest mistake, or it's one of those things that "everyone knows about" and just never get caught. How do you determine which? We'd have to follow the trail of fuel delivery and see why the BMW/Williams fuel was colder. Was it by accident or deliberate? If deliberate, then it's going to be hard for the FIA to leave the cars in the race - one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type things.

21. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    Once again, rule 6.5.5
    "No fuel on board the car may be more than ten degrees centigrade below ambient temperature."

Now I know this is childish, but I wonder if a good lawyer could push this through. It isn't said at all where the ambient temp is to be measured. Might as well be the Sahara desert :D

22. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
  23. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Is that ambient temperature in the pits, the grandstands, the shade, or up Bernies ***?

It's too late: I just spent three hours washing the 328 in celebration.

No matter what McLunk has done, Hammo has walked away without losing so much as a choice of soft drink, much less any points. If they decide to pull points from *three* separate drivers to hand the championship to Lewis, they might as well not have run the season.

Kimi -- winner on track. (It's speed channel, not Court TV)

(And I was in such a good mood, before I read this ...)

(I thought I was being a cynic when I predicted the series would be decided in appeals -- now look what the senility twins have done to F1.)

Given what they've done to WRC, and what they're doing to F1, I suspect the FIA has been taken over by the "cars are bad" PC fun police.

No wonder drivers are leaving F1 for NASCAR.

24. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    The International Automobile Federation (FIA) officially proclaimed Kimi Raikkonen champion after rejecting the findings of an investigation for alleged irregularities in the fuel that Williams-Toyota BMW Sauber used in the Brazilian Grand Prix.