Ferrari 308 Owner's and Buyer's Guide by Steve Cook | FerrariChat

Ferrari 308 Owner's and Buyer's Guide by Steve Cook

Discussion in '308/328' started by Martin308GTB, Oct 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello from Germany,

first of all sorry; I know double-posting is annoying, but so far noone answered my question in the Collectable, Literature and models section. Therefore I thought that it might be the wrong forum and better suits this section . Here's what I wrote:

I just took notice, that the long announced, above mentioned book was published at last. Has anybody of you already purchased it ?
    Is it worth buying it ? FChat member rolindsay has already written a short customer review on amazon.com. See the link below. - Rick, do you read this ? - but are there more opinions about the book ?

http://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-308-Buyers-Guide-Owners/dp/1588500063/ref=sr_1_1/002-6602661-0735242?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192976378&sr=8-1

Best Regards

Martin

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Haven't seen the book, but if it's by Steve Cook, it's worth a look.

3. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Just ordered a copy ;)

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Dittos, I've met and had dinner with Steve. He is a true Tifosi, and you can be certain it is well researched and full of good information.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Just got mine. I'll check it for mistakes as soon as it hits my door.

6. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay

There are a few tiny errors like stating that the 308GT4 has THREE DCNFs rather than four but that is just brain-fade, not ignorance of the truth. Steve knows about the errors. When he releases the complementary website, it will include an erratum page. The book is really good. It addresses many issues I have questioned for years. I own and have restored (in cooperation with Ric Rainbolt) a '79 308GTB in standard (European) specification and have done so for almost 10 years now. I still learned things from Steve's book. It's just one of those books like "Original Ferrari V8" that you have to have in your collection.

rick / houston, tx

7. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    There is also another book coming out soon too, the " Ferrari Life Buyers Portfilio" Also has good reviews. Covers quite a few models too.

Cheers!

8. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Thank you for posting this. I am going to buy it too.

9. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    Thanks for letting us know about, I bought it yesterday , should have it today. It would be nice to find an up to date book about these cars.

10. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ordered mine today. Headed overseas at the end of next month so I'll need some good reading material!

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have it. It is not that great. Honestly it seems a little like a term paper on the 308 than a detailed book on the model.

12. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Nothing special here. There's a bit of Ferrari history, which is out of place in a 308 specific book.

The center piece of the book seems to be a blank PPI form which you are encouraged to photocopy, but it's not 308 specific. You can find blank generic forms like this at a lot of other places.

And, the errors! No, 15" tires were not fitted on the TRX wheels! Jeez.

All in all, save your money. It's not worth it.

13. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    +1

14. flistmeister

flistmeister Rookie

May 23, 2004
    Albuquerque
    Full Name:
    Steve Cook
    Of course there's not much exciting and new in there! The car's been out for 30 years and I had trouble coming up with ground-breaking, earth-shattering new details about 308's.

And yes, there is an error in a table that lists VR15 tires where it shouldn't - that's getting fixed. BUT, if you read the text right below the table, it mentions that metric rims need the metric tires. Sorry if one or two errors slipped through. I'm already working on the updates. If anybody finds any errors, email/PM me and I'll have it updated ASAP. (it's Print-on-Demand, so updates to the book are quick).

I wrote it based on all the frequently asked questions from all kinds of sources about the 308 series. To us 308 Ferraristi, it's all common sense, well known stuff. To the uninitiated buyers, it's all new to them. So, yes, it's not written like a novel or a glorified review - it's a guide.

15. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Just got my copy the other day. Made it through it pretty quickly, as 98% of what was in the book I already either knew or read somewhere else (and then forgot it). It's a good read for someone new to 308s and the marque in general, but yes, there is nothing in there that hasn't already been covered on this board (which costs less!). I don't think it's a $30 book, but going along with all things Ferrari......appropriately expensive ;)

Either way, a good one to have on the shelf, and I'll be honest, I wasn't really expecting to read anything I didn't already know......unless there is a secret 308 archive underneath the Vatican or something :D

16. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I read it. I loved it. It's a great 308 Bible, and one no self-respecting 8 cylinder Ferraristi should be without. I've been collecting Ferraris for 10+ years and found the book to be full of great info that would have saved me both money & headaches as a Ferrari owner.

Some of you guys are really getting THIS bent out of shape over a couple typos? Especially with a book that the author states to be "print on demand" so that any errors can be fixed in real time? LOL. Not even the real Bible made it through to its current revised form without a bunch of errors. And I didn't find the Ferrari history portion to be out of place at all. It's a Ferrari book, right? I'm thinking a few of you db haters need to check your mixture - you're running rich, and the fumes are getting to you. ;)

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I think the thing with this book is that 90% of us on this board know so much about the 308 series that it just seems too elementary. However the general buying public may find everything in it very useful.

If this is the type of book that can be updated easily I think it's a great foundation to build on. I would like to see more detailed info on the model differences and some myth's dispelled as well. For example; When picking between an 83, 84 or an 85, let's inform readers that a good tie breaker would be the double belt vs single belt on the alt/wp. Pick the 85 for that alone. An 83 that has the 16 rims should run second to an 84 if the owner was thinking about an exhaust upgrade later (one cat instead of two = less upgrade $). That a 78-79 US 308 has no performance advantage at all over the 2V inj 80-82 cars so don't buy into the carb performance mentality unless your looking to buy a 76 or 77 car.

We could include easy modification info such a headlight relay harnesses, oil sump baffles, and my own personal oil cooler fan upgrade for the 84/85 QV and explain why these modifications are not just for performance but for real world driving needs.

I would love to help. I have always talked about doing a book called "101 things to do to your 308"

There is so much we could do to really make it a "308 Bible" instead of a "308 Book". This is a good foundation so what do you think, Steve?

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    BTW, Tommy, I've been collecting material for my 308 service book for several years now, & I have been actively writing since I retired last June. Have also been planning to use that as the title...

19. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Sounds like one of the two reviews on Amazon about the book. The reviewer made it sound rather elementary, with some obvious mistakes, as others have pointed out here.

Now, a book by VERELL! Sign me up for that one!! I'm sure that will be a "don't miss read" for every 308 owner. When can we expect it to go to print, Verell? And Doc, how about a "101 Things to Do with Your 308" thread on here. It would make a great sticky for this section.

20. flistmeister

flistmeister Rookie

May 23, 2004
    Albuquerque
    Full Name:
    Steve Cook
    The review on amazon was the same person ("mr. merideth"). I thought it was kinda harsh - one star, for a book that is labeled as a Buyer's Guide, and he mentions only one single error (obvious mistake that is correct in the text) each time. How many new owners wish they would have had a PPI, or even know what one is? I've known so many 308 owners that NO IDEA what they were doing or what they were getting themselves into. Now at least they can know what to do.

I actually removed a lot of the technical procedures that were in the original version because the book is directed toward buyers and new owners. And as Verell probably knows, those procedures can easily fill a book by themselves. But, I'll have to warn Verell, some disgruntled readers might flame you if you spell something wrong, just so they can get their self-righteous jollies.

21. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Tough crowd, but hey.....Steve's book probably would have been one of those 'must-have' manuals BEFORE I bought my car. AFTER I bought my car, I find myself looking for tech information regarding wear/repair/maintenance issues, etc. Topical interest changes depending on one's level of involvement with the car. I think the wrong audience is being solicited for comments here, so if I were Steve, I'd take this with the objectivity that CURRENT 308 owners may not be well-served regarding documentation....and that's fine.

I know what Verell is planning for his book, and judging by the long list of physical 308 projects he will be working on and documenting this winter, we all will benefit greatly with some patience and support.

22. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I figure there's enough controversy about such things as belt changes, cooling system bleeding, etc. that I'll be lucky if all I get is flamed. I'm more worried about crowds with pitchforks, torches,etc. at midnight. ;)

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Looks like it may be a foot race between Verell and me to the publisher

24. Corsa308

Corsa308 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    Don't forget the baffle eradication of the airbox, carby balancing, ways to problem solve misfiring and those nasty plug extenders that spark through the sides.
    Run your car at night (in the dark) and be amazed at the sparks and light emitting from your old and worn out high tension leads and plug extenders.

25. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Love to check it out....