Last Call: A Great '85 308 For Sale | FerrariChat

Last Call: A Great '85 308 For Sale

Discussion in '308/328' started by enjoythemusic, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Rob/Moderators, seems the Ferrari Ads does not pull in folks so please do not delete and note i am a Rossa paying Fchatter (long-term).

You guys know the car, have passed quite a few 'faster' cars at FCA events with her :) G-d i love the Version 3 suspension :) She basically need some paint, water pump works but could use a rebuild. Have at least twice what i am asking into her.

http://www.enjoythetrack.com/ferrari/

Rob, CONGRATS on your SCCA 2007 season! Hope to see you in Topeka next year.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 miketuason, Oct 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #3 Bullfighter, Oct 19, 2007
  4. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #4 enjoythemusic, Oct 19, 2007
    Thanks and must add just got a call and she seems to be sold!!! This is a SOLID Sold and not the usual guys who promise stuff, but am saying tentative until i have check in hand. Will be delivering to new owner first week of November.

MIKE: As for the rear spoiler, the 308 is known to have, well, tail happy moments. Even though the Version 3 of the suspension really helped her in many ways, the rear aero (wing) on the one and only test day i did with it on the track last year showed very good rear grip versus previous days without it on the same track. Well worth it and of course i am sure you know how all the proper Challenge cars (and ALMS, etc) use rear aero.

NOTE: The new owner does not want the rear spoiler and so that will be for sale. The uprights of the wing mount perfectly between the main reinforcement cross-section bits on the underside of the trunk lid. This means the wing has a good, firm section to push down on while also being far back of the CG (more DF with less drag if it was moved forward). Also, the width of the wing is virtually perfect and does not extend further than the car's body. Can post more detailed pics of mounting once i am sure the car is sold and have check in hand before taking off the wing.

Anywho, the car appears to be sold and am sure the new owner will be enjoying her.

PS: the rims on the car in the photo above are custom Kinesis and fit perfectly in ALL ways. They are $4k new and now unobtanium as Kinesis got bought out about a year ago and they no longer make 17-inch K27. They have the correct offset (no need for spacers), ENAMEL center logos (not plastic like stock). The owner is all-on in the car and the major mechanicals and, sadly, can't quite go further for various 'extra' bits. Like the wing, the rims may be for sale shortly as i have TWO complete sets of them. If you are not familiar with Kinesis, Mr. Hubble Testa-racer and other here use them on their Fcar and/or ask the hard-core Porsche guys about Kinesis rims.

Sparco Roadster seats and Schroth 4/5-way seat belts (both ASM and HANS shoulder belts for driver side) will also be up gor grabs. Have lots more... but i better stop there.

Thank you Fchat, Rob, and especially the guys on the Track board who have been instrumental in helping me with the descision to migrate to the open wheel Formula Continental (F2000) car. Finishing second for my rookie year in driver's points for NER and NARRC regions in the FC/wheel to wheel (in SCCA) means next year will be all-out to be at top of podium and finish #1.

To my wife, i love you and soon we can remove this bumper sticker... until April 2008 when it shall be reinstalled :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. djblu

djblu Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    philthy
    Full Name:
    sean-michael
    AWESOME vids on yur site. SWEET ride Made me love the 308 much more. AWESOME sound & thanks for the ride ;)

6. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    We will hate to see your Ferrari enthusiasm go.

7. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    djblu, a most humble thanks and it was joy making those videos :)
    Will be leaving them online for others even after the car has moved on the next enthusiast.

Branko, the enthusiam has waned a bit yet will always remember the 308 was my 'poster car,' as graduated high school in the early 1980's. Am very grateful to have 'lived the dream.' It has been a privilege to enjoy the car on the public roadways, learn about various bits both mechanically and in vehicle dynamics. On the later two points, it prepped me for the next level of involvement.... track racing wheel to wheel in an proper Formula 2000 open wheel car. Driving is like life where each day is an opportunity for another learning experience. The 308 will always be remembered fondly as my 'training wheels' to the next level. She saved me from myself a few times early on and showed me the path where better driving skills brought about more rewards.

There comes a point in life where decisions were made and, as such, to reach the next level the Ferrari made no sense. Kept the 308 around as a fall back this year just in case open wheel racing was a bit 'too much.' Sadly, the 308 basically sat around and was used every week or two to keep the fluids spinning, but never tracks. To quote another driver yesterday who was talking with my wife at the track, "When Steven gets out of the [open wheel Formula Continental] car he is so excited... it is like he hit the lottery." That pretty much sums it up. Sadly, my goal this past weekend was to beat the COMSCC NHIS track record of 1:10.9 seconds held by a guy who drives an open wheel FE and has been tracking for about 40 years. Sadly, i missed beating his record by 0.6 seconds... with this being my rookie year in the car.

Apologies for long answer as my first love, the 308, will be missed. Sometimes one's dream is a bit more rosey-colored than reality. Still... the 308 did 'pop my cherry' so to speak. Am sure many Ferrari owners truly appreciate their car's capabilities and will seek out great track events by FCA and other diver education organizations around the globe. Perhaps the track bug will bite them and they move forward accordingly. Wishing all Tifosi the best.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Boy you hit that nail on the head, brudda!

(The Dream vs. reality....)

9. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Now that you are into open wheel racing, you might like to talk to my brother. In 2002, he won the group 5, SVRA championship in a 1967 BMW Chevron. He now drives BMW March.

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks my friend. Oh the stories i could tell from immense joy... to deep pain... to elation... to being perplexed to...

Would LOVE to chat with him! Will he be at the 24/hr Daytona? If so, he and i can meet up as will be there for 3 to 4 days (24 hr/day). The newish Formula BMW looks to be great, yet obviously one needs a certain budget... Might do some F2000 Championship races or Formula Pro races next year, as have now earned the prerequisite SCCA National license for certain organizations. Now it is time to get sponsors...

11. dom1172

dom1172 Karting

Mar 26, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I feel like there are not many for sale right now. I know ebay might not be the best place to buy but there used to be 4 or 5 at a time, even Pete Sweeney at Forza Motor Sports only has 1 right now!! Does anyone else notice this? Congrats on selling your car!

12. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Its a no-brainer there....they're THAT good, people tend to hold onto them. I'm not going to waste bandwidth singing the praises - drive a well-sorted one, you'll see the light.....

13. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Amen, and the one that was here was beyond well-sorted in the normal sense. For a normal Ferrari the 308QV is perhaps the best value for the $$$ plus (relatively) easy to work on and parts are (generally) plentiful for the important bits that wear.

14. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Steven,

Congrats on selling the car,

I'm sure it must be a bittersweet feeling, letting it go - they are very special cars bone dry stock, but you have put so much heart and soul (Italian for time and money) into that car, and also took the extra time to share all your development mistakes and triumphs with us here at FChat. I learned a lot, I must say.

As coincidence would have it, I posted my "track day" 308 on EBay last night, so after months of procrastination, I am biting the bullet as well. I'll miss her - these really are awesome cars. No other car can match the view from the cockpit like a 308, the fenders curving up like a 512P, and that incredible sound coming from behind your head. Steering that simultaneously is as light as a feather but requires a firm, declarative hand. The feel & sound of the motor while shifting up or down through the gearbox. The utter balance of the car in high-speed sweepers. The changing inputs required when navigating the slower, tighter turns, precision-dialing your direction like a surgeon. And then SNAP out, upshift and just TRY not to have a smile on your face. God I love my 308. (oops, got on a roll there, sorry!). I wish I could could keep it.

Steve: don't know if you saw my late post on your last racing topic thread, but congrats on an astonishing rookie year, mine has been a bit less auspicious, but no less fun and satisfying. Cheers. Pen

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Pen,

You are sooo right about mixed emotions and the outpouring of "heart and soul." Am glad my posts here helped others, as doing development work where very little to none existed made life that much more challenging. Just checked the 'track' section and will reply there. Have a feeling i will basically disappear from Fchat and other Fcar boards once i have the HUGE AMOUNT of Ferrari bits that still remain here sold.

Must have a small gold mine in books, parts, and goodness knows what here still need to be sold off.

16. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Sell the parts, keep the books (reminds me of "leave the gun, take the cannolies" from the Godfather).

You put too much into your Ferrari experience –*both what you gained from it and what you gave to other people by your generous postings on the site – to completely divorce yourself.

So keep the books, remember the time well. Most of us keep books on the shelf as a sort of totem of our interests, experience and history. Who knows, maybe you'll wind up with the Ferrari street car some day in the far distant future.

But that's just me, and I'm a sentimental fool and a packrat, so I hold onto everything (inlcluding, unfortunately not just books but also the cars and the parts – it's taken me 6 months to get my car listed on ebay!