Temporary mechanical oil pressure gauge | FerrariChat

Temporary mechanical oil pressure gauge

Discussion in '308/328' started by airdelroy, Oct 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    So, I would like to check my oil pressure by installing a mechanical gauge. Only I dont want to keep it in the car permanently. From my search you need to plug in the gauge where the oil pressure sender currently is.

In order to do this do I need to remove the engine oil? It looks like it is easier to remove the oil filter hosing to do this. Doesnt the oil filter hold oil and therefore I would need to change/drain the oil to do this?

I have found that I can put a 17mm crows foot socket on the sender and most likely get it off safely. If I do this without removing the oil filter will it make a huge mess?

Is there a better place/way to do this?

thanks,
    Aaron

2. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    If you have a UFI or Baldwin filter, they have a stand pipe in them. After running the engine, wait for a period of time, say 30 minutes (pure guess) and you should be able to remove the filter and not drain much oil if any. Or, better yet, remove the filter the next day so you won't burn yourself. If you have a FRAM filter, they don't have the stand pipe in them and they may drain oil. Have a bunch of paper towels or rags handy to catch the oil. My UFI filter didn't drip one drop when removed.

I don't know if oil will run out of the oil pressure send unit when removed, but my guess is if the filter has been removed, there will be little oil to drain.

Just my 2 cents.

3. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    Cool. I have a UFI. I will just go for it then!!

thanks,
    Aaron