Briatore: "McLaren how many errors!" | FerrariChat

Briatore: "McLaren how many errors!"

Discussion in 'F1' started by hg, Oct 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Here are Flavio Briatore's comments to the media: "McLaren did everything possible to loose this championship. McL was 20 points ahead of Raikonen in China and they permitted Hamilton to fight with Alonso. McL did not need a victory, but only to score some points".
    Furthermore according to Flavio "McLaren should have left out Alonso since it was not competing for the Constructor's Championship anymore and if they would have replaced Alonso with a test driver they would have won without problems".

Looks like touche` to me for Alonso comments that Renault was not his first choice.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How should Mclaren tell Alonso to get out and stop fighting for the title himself so that Lewis could secure it ? Does Briatore think Alonso would have just said , sure , i ll be at the bar waiting ??

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Yeah you're right, that's totally idiotic.

4. LongJohnSilver

LongJohnSilver Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2006
    Gainesville FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Would have probably won them the championship, hardly idiotic. Alonso has no right to race. Mclaren can bench him whenever they want (they probably have to still pay him depending on his contract). It is only illegal if they use team orders to alter the outcome of a race. If they bench him before the weekend starts then he just isn't involved. Mclaren has to allow both of its drivers to fight for a win, but if Alonso isnt one of their drivers then he has no more right to fair treatment than I.

5. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    China and Brazil were LH's races to lose. He should have come in sooner in China, AND not fought with Kimi. Rookie errors, plain and simple. Brazil was a slightly different story due to his car problems, but he was STILL battling when he didn't need to. Look at Brazil last year. Alonso knew damn well he didn't need to win it to secure the WDC, and he did just that. LH could take some lessons from that. I'm sure next season he will be a different driver.

6. Lindsay_Ross

Lindsay_Ross Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    Car problems as in... thumb depressing the Start initiation sequence?

7. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Beats the hell out of me. He slowed twice for no apparent reason and was screwin' with the wheel controls. Looks like a problem to me. :)

8. Lindsay_Ross

Lindsay_Ross Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    He already admitted it. When it happened, I called pitlane speed limiter. Close...

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Briatore saying Alonshole should have been benched. Strange way of attracting the subject driver to your team, Flavio. ;)

10. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Not really. He probably wanted Ron to get so fed up and bench Fernando so Ron would violate some clause in Fernando's contract and allow him to get out of his contract with McLaren. And, in all honesty, since Ron was trying to help Lewis win the WDC that may have been the best thing but with the FIA examining every move within the team to ensure the very equality that Ron espouses, he was in a position where he could not do that.

11. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    That's Flavio's charm at its best...!

12. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I wonder if that's the way to get all those supermodels and beautiful girls Flavio usually has. "Hey baby, I can't understand why your last boyfriend even looked at you, but if you don't have plans for tonight, my room is 415"

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    exactly - he's got something BIG going for him I think ... and my first guess would be a bank account...

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Are you nuts? Who would have taken the place of Alonso? And if you read the post correctly would would know that I was responding to "How to they tell Alonso not to fight, so that Hamilton could win". <<< That's totally retarded!

Besides you're speaking of an impossibility. No way does a top team "bench" one of their drivers going into the last race.

Also what happens if Hamilton did have a major break down with the car. That would leave Alonso the only McLaren driver with a chance at the title. Seriously man think it through.

15. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If Dennis the Menace had benched Unfairnando Alonshole, the entire nation of Spain would have invaded England and killed Dennis the Menace. this would only happen if Alonshole hadn't done the deed first. Then the Hamster would have been drawn and quartered in Buckingham Square.

No. I don't think Dennis is THAT stupid. ;)

Apparently, Flavio is. Yikes! :D

16. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian

Couldn't happen - England has a record of successfully repelling Spanish invasions going back hundreds of years. ;)

17. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    According to Spanish TV Alonso contract with McLaren specifies that McLaren has to provide him with a car to race in every GP. I guess that if true, if McLaren would had benched Alonso they would had broken the contract, and therefore Alonso will be free of it, and posibly even get more money than racing...

18. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    That's when Britain had the world's best navy. We have the chunnel now. :D

BTW I am of Scottish descent and wouldn't mind seeing the English lose the WDC and the WCC every year. ;)

19. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    It's always nice to meet another Scot, even if a few generations removed!

I'm happy to see England lose to Scotland in any sport, but until we get another Jim Clark or Jackie Stewart we won't beat them to the WDC in F1 (although we did it not too long ago in rallying with the late, great Colin McRae). If Scotland aren't in contention I, unlike many of my countrymen who like to see anybody and everybody beating the English, support the other UK countries/teams, including England.

20. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Did you support Eddie Irvine?

21. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I was never a great fan of Eddie but when he was close to winning the WDC I certainly hoped he would do it.

22. Ferrari250GTO

Ferrari250GTO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    Philadelphia PA
    I suppose it was a lot of errors, considering they were 26 points over the WDC at one point this year.

23. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Flabio is a poof :p

24. S.Ratha

S.Ratha Rookie

Oct 26, 2007
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    San
    I don't understand, Hamilton lost the race in Interlagos cuz he had gearbox problems? is it not?
    FAlanso were 1 of the 3 fighting for WDC title, Absolutely nothing to do with him,
    sounds like Flabby lost his head...