Any tips on MPG? | FerrariChat

Any tips on MPG?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bowers, Oct 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bowers

Bowers Karting

Sep 27, 2007
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Bowers
    My daily driver is a 2003 Vlovo S60 R. It’s had some mile put on it, I just passed 90,000. The problem is the gas mileage has been dropping over the past few years and wasn’t a big deal but with the recent gas hike I have been noticing it more and more. I am averaging about 21 mpg or so, I remember when I got her it was about 28. She has been maintained by the dealer, most of the time; as a matter of fact they have it now doing the 90,000 service. I haven’t had any major incidents. Is there something I should look into to help bring the mpg back up?

Side note the local cheap station has gas at 3.60.

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The usual maintenance and tune-up items will help. Be sure and replace O2 sensors if they haven't been done in a while. Fuel filter also.

When was the last time it had a full tune-up?

3. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    +1 on the O2 sensors. They have 90K miles on them and are due for replacement. The O2 sensor is your ECU's direct measure of whether it's injecting the correct fuel mixture and can make a difference. Don't forget to check your tire pressures - they make quite a difference too.

Bob

4. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    All that, but make sure your air filters are clean, you dont want a nasty one blocking your air, or get a CAI (cold air intake), probably will help HP and gas mileage.

5. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    absolutely check the air filter. just because the dealer has been doing maintenance, doesn't mean they've been doing it properly.

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    1+^^.

Last time I took a car to the Volvo dealer they charged me for a tire rotation and didn't do it.

I know because one tire had a curb mark.

So, how do I know if they really changed the oil etc?

If you have another vehicle that needs lubing what do you think are the chances that the dealer will lube every single nipple, even the ones that are facing straight up? Close to zero I bet.

I swear if I can do any car chore myself, I do it myself.

7. Bowers

Bowers Karting

Sep 27, 2007
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Bowers
    Thanks Guys,

I have checked and for the most part the dealership is doing what they are saying they are. I also got a dealership for not rotating tires, got a 35,000 service for free, and never went back to that dealership.

I have a project car and know about engines and how to tinker with them, but these new engines don’t make any sense, way too many wires and other bolt on gizmo’s that do something important. That and the fact that it is my daily driver I would rather have them do it.

As far as “full tune-up” I am not entirely sure what you mean. The 105,000 is where your suppose to replace the timing belt, fuel filter, spark plugs, on top of the lubing everything, cabin and air filters, and all the normal fluids.

The Oxygen sensor seems to be what everyone is mentioning. I’ll look into it. Really a Cold air intake? Cold air is denser than hot air so I could see the compression being slightly higher than “normal” air introduced threw the standard air intake, but would it be a high enough compression ratio to get more MGP out of it?

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Yeah, I dont know the exact scientific term, but the cold air intake raises the MPG, I am not absolutly sure, you may want to "google" around and find out some more. And an added bonus the CAI gives is that awesome sound, :D

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    One thing to consider is that the ethanol-infected gas is everywhere now. That stuff doesn't have the bang-per-gallon that the older blend did, and so cars get worse gas mileage on it. You should still tune up the car, but don't expect to gain it all back.

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Be sure to keep your tires inflated properly. Check the tire pressure when they are cold. The alignment of the wheels is also another key thing to have set to the proper specs. Use the cruse control, slow down, and stick to the speed limit. The longer you can maintain a consistent speed the better your gas milage will be. Run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through it on your next fill up, and maybe even another one on following fill up.