308 Skid Plate | FerrariChat

308 Skid Plate

Discussion in '308/328' started by Danielcookson, Oct 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    #1 Danielcookson, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Now that the oil pressure in tight right turns is resolved I am looking into installing a skid plate. Murray from down under has these available. I am interested in your impressions.

This is what he had to say about it,

"Attached are some things I make for the 308 that may be of interest to you and some of your buddies. The pics Skid plate 11 and 12 are just that a skid plate for the normal front valance for 308's. As you can see it is custom made and shaped to protect the underside of the car where the fibreglass valance meets the steel chassis. This area is commonly neglected, and if left usually comes lose and flaps or vibrates. It is made from 6mm (1/4") alloy plate and has been slotted to allow for wheel alignments without having to be removed. The mounting screws are counter sunk to avoid any collision. It works, and has saved the underside of my own car many times, irrespective of how careful I have been. The Photo 3785 is a vented front panel that replaces the standard blanked panel just to the rear of the skid plate. This allows more air to be drawn from the back of the radiator and out under the car, when it's under way. It is made from 2mm thick alloy and is powder coated in black and has the larger hole for the air-con drain.
    The alloy scoop pic is the scoop that goes at the rear of the engine and travels up to cover parts of the handbrake cables. It is as per the original. You will see it in the parts manual".

I am considering ordering them from Murray. This is what he said about costs,

"If any of these things are of interest to you or some of your other 308 owners let me know, and I'll see if I can do better on the costs.
    Skid plates $120.00 US, Vented panel- $65.00 US, Scoop- $30.00 US.

We would have to add shipping, possible import tax, and US shipping. From my previous experience this wouldn't add much to the over all cost. If anyone is interested in a group buy let me know.

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I'm interested in the skid plate and the louvered panel.

Aaron

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Hmmm, a louvered panel to let the hot air out the bottom instead of filling the cabin. This guy might be onto something here.

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I already have the skid plate, can I order just the vented panel?

5. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Daniel,

I received the sump baffel and it looks great.

I would be happy to put down a deposite for the skid panel and louvered panel.

Does our Ausie buddy make any skid plates for the front lower corners. The fiberglass covering the frame is getting hammered pretty hard on our funky local roads.

thanks again,
    chris

6. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    Chris,

These skid plates are for the front lower part of the car. I thought they were for the rear first until I read his description.

""As you can see it is custom made and shaped to protect the underside of the car where the fibreglass valance meets the steel chassis. This area is commonly neglected, and if left usually comes lose and flaps or vibrates. It is made from 6mm (1/4") alloy plate and has been slotted to allow for wheel alignments without having to be removed. The mounting screws are counter sunk to avoid any collision. It works, and has saved the underside of my own car many times, irrespective of how careful I have been. The Photo 3785 is a vented front panel that replaces the standard blanked panel just to the rear of the skid plate. This allows more air to be drawn from the back of the radiator and out under the car, when it's under way. It is made from 2mm thick alloy and is powder coated in black and has the larger hole for the air-con drain.""

Dan

7. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    We can get what ever we want. Murray indicated he would give us a cut price on a group buy, not don't have the exact figures yet. I will get those when I know how many folks would like to buy what. I will keep you posted.

Dan

8. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I'm interested in the skid plate and vented panel (heck maybe even the scoop). I've never seen an OEM scoop on the back. Too bad we didn't know about all this stuff before the baffle order. Oh well, let us know what kind of $ it ends up being.

And again, thanks to Dan for organizing this.

Henry

9. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Murray also makes a multiple-piece skid lip for 308 Euro valances. I thankfully have it on mine-requires drilling very small holes in the valance lip. It protects the forward lip from scraping--very valuable.

I also have the vented lower panel and oil sump baffle--great ideas.

I would like to get in on the rear engine/exhaust shield/cover--IF it'll work on my 1977 GTB USA car...

Lemme know!

Greg

PS--Murray is great to work with and makes very high-quality stuff.

10. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Just got the sump baffel and it looks like a nice piece of work.

My porblem is not so much the front cross member as the front corners of the chasis - going into driveways is a killer. If he has somethig for this i am ready to put the $ down. I am tired of grinding off the front corners.

ever hopefull - chris

11. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    It looks like that skid plate should cover your corners.

12. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

i recently fitted that scoop. i was amazed at how nicely it just "finished off" the look from the rear.

he makes good stuff.

13. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anything for the 328?? :D

14. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    I'm interested in the skid plate and the louvered panel also.
    Jim

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That curved panel is an OEM piece and actually directs the air UP, I believe....when I drive, leaves blow up out of the engine cover, at speed, the rear roof spoiler also helps to break up the natural dead air behind the rear glass.

That is a nice protection plate.

I armored up the front with three seperate pieces as I don' want to run over somehing big if it gets knocked off.

16. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    i'm liking the louvered panel.

17. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Daniel,

Does Murray make anything for the front of a usa car. The lower front corners about 8 inches back from the spoiler lip take a hell of a beating. The skid plate that fits just infront of the suspension mounts looks stout and well made but i am looking for a bit more protection for the front just behind the spoiler.

thanks,
    chris

18. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I'm down for a louvered panel.

If you confirm fitment for an '84 USA spec QV, I will probably go for the skid plate as well.

For the life of me, I can't picture where the scoop goes.

Phil

19. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yep, that's it....thanks, Aircon.

21. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
  22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's tight to the metal cast ribs of the tranny, or just below....I don't think it does.

It's definately on all my early 308GTBs....I beat one up pretty badly, in the truck runoff of Yosimeti Park.

23. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I'm gonna need to get under the car to see. I installed my Tubi, adjust the handbrake cable, change fluids, etc, so I've been under there lots of times, I just can't seem to figure this part. As I recall, my muffler cover connects to a sheet metal pan that connects to the gear box.

Phil

24. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Dan,

Where are you at with this so far? Do you think a group buy is likely?

25. Danielcookson

Danielcookson Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Daniel Cookson
    Hey guys. Been evacuated from my house in Rancho Bernardo with the fires here in San Diego. Thankfully our home (and garage) didn't burn, although around 300 of our other residents weren't so "lucky".

I did manage to get a message off to Murray. He is off to the national Ferrari rally in Canberra and won't be back for a week. It looks like we have enough interest in a group buy. I will get the numbers from Murray and post them here. He did say he would give a price break for a group buy.

Dan