OT Help! Recommend Me a Cookbook! | FerrariChat

OT Help! Recommend Me a Cookbook!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by FrostyAK, Oct 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    In the the past year I have come to the realization that I cannot cook to save my life, so I am asking OT to help me out.

Thanks,
    - Christopher

2. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    whats ya cookin ????? meth ?

3. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Chris,
    Walk across the street to Borders and find a simple one that starts with the basics, like 30-minute meals or single dish meals. Or copy meals from restaurants you like.

Trying to find a winter hobby?

5. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    Pretty much. I am overwhelmed in the cookbook selection. I need to break away from only eating tuna sandwiches and scrambled eggs. Ladies like it too.

6. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    LOL! Can't you just go check your traps up there in Alaska, and roast whatever you catch?? (After the fur is skinned, of course)

OK, bad Alaska joke......(I trapped furbearers in CT as a kid, and Alaska was my dream for a while)

We cook Italian cuz, wife was raised there, and I was, sort of, so, if this is a taste you might savor, which most people do, start with this:

Most good Italian meals are actually v simple, and made with just a few ingredients: virgin olive oil (no brainer), parsley (not cilantro), garlic cloves (no powders!), oregano, tomato(diced in cans is actually v good!), onion and others. Learn to make fresh tomato sauce using these fresh ingredients, and put on spaghetti, cooked ALDENTE, not American mush style!!!!!!! Master this first, and you will be a big hit, GUARANTEED by Joe Papa!!! If you are serious about this dish/recipe, PM me and I can get you more minute details. I dont waste time with Authentic Italian Recipes with wanna be's. We do not eat anything in my home that is PSEUDO ITALIAN!!!

Then if you dont like Italian, wait for another post. Either way, good luck. (and good trapping this winter season)

7. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Betty Crocker's basics is a good way to start. But since you clearly have access to the internet, why not just go to foodtv.com and look up recipes there? There are very good recipes from the network's website and I can tell you that I've personally tried several of Alton Brown's recipes (show called "Good Eats") and they turn out really well.

Bob

8. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
  9. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
  10. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    The Joy of Cooking

Its been in print for a long time. Its a good one. You can always look at websites. If you get Food Network, watch Good Eats. Alton Brown's recipes have never ever ever let me down.

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    just go to B&N or Borders, they always have piles of cookbooks around the entryways on clearance.

12. lateralus

lateralus Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Another vote for The Joy of Cooking, just pick up the latest edition that's out.

13. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
  14. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #14 David_S, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    2 BIG thumbs up for each of these from a rather experienced cook. Only sad part about Joy of Cooking is that I don't think the new editions have the nifty bits (like how to skin & prepare a squirrel)! Luckily, I have a copy of the older edition - so that & possum, beaver, armadillo, wild boar, or bear can be on the menu too!

Also - strongly consider Alton Brown's book "I'm Just Here for the Food" - not so much a book of recipes, but rather the methods behind different types of cooking (and a really fun read too!).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. XLNLIFE

XLNLIFE Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2005
    SOUTHERN CA
    Full Name:
    JEREMY :
    #15 XLNLIFE, Oct 29, 2007
  16. Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2006
    near Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I have a Joy of Cooking that my mom got for me when I first moved out on my own. It's a really good one. Lately I've pulled several recipes off www.foodnetwork.com . Lots to choose from there.

17. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #17 PeterS, Oct 29, 2007
  18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It is not that hard to become a good cook. Before you prepare a meal, jsut think about the food you like. Hell if you think a turkey sandwhich wiht peanut butter would be good, then go for it. Taste is in the eye of the eater. And if you are eating the food, then just try to combine things you like.

It does help to know some of the basics. The most important is how to cook different meats. Make sure you never over cook any type of meat, be it fish, steak, chicken, etc...if it is over cooked, it will taste like ass.

I rarely use reciepes or cook books. I find it to be more enjoyable and rewarding whenyou can throw something together off the top of your head, then to use something someone else came up with.

So again, stay true to what your tastes are, and go out to eat a good bit to get ideas for other things to try. A lot of cooking is trial and error, so don't be afraid to experiement.

If you are looing for very specific advice, such as what types of spices go with a certain meat, or ideas for a sauce, let me know. I spent 6+ years working in kitchens for a reason. :D

19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Taste is on the tongue of the eater! My eyes don't got taste buds...!

20. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB

I would LOVE to learn how to make authentic Italian tomato sauce/dishes!!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You know what I was trying to say...

Some would say presentation is almost as important as taste itself.

22. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    Thanks to everyone for the input and suggestions. I think I'll stop off and grab some magazines first, then hit the used bookstore this weekend.

23. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    'Joy Of Cooking', as others have said.
    Easiest way to good food recipes that the average person can access.

24. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    What do you enjoy cooking besides fish?

25. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    You are asking because...why?