1995 355 brake problem please HELP | FerrariChat

1995 355 brake problem please HELP

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ang308, Oct 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I posted this in the 355 section as well-but not sure if it was in right place-so I reposted it here
    Thanks in advance for any help
    I have a 95 355 that was sitting for about 18 months. The engine was out of the car so the rear brake lines were open. Everything is back and running perfect except the brakes. The pedal is as hard as a rock and when I try to bleed the rear brakes, nothing happens. No air no fluid, no pedal budges. Nothing. I have the key on the open position and still nothing. When I bleed the brakes lines from the master cylinder actually the ABS unit under the master cylinder(I see three lines-my guess 2 for the front and one line going to the rear) the two lines in the front bleed fine and pedal goes to floor--but nothing out of the middle line. No fluid, no air, no pedal to the floor. Is the abs somehow frozen and not allowing the rear breaks any fluid. Is there a procedure to bleed these breaks or I pray not the abs unit has gone bad. Everything was working fine before the motor came out.

2. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I checked the code today and it comes up as 2.1--valve or connecting wire defective----defect in control unit (power transistor). I checked all connections and I cannot figure out why I cant get no fluid coming out of the rear brakes. The pedal is very stiff and when I open the rear bleeders nothing happens. Thanks for any help in advance

3. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Are their one or two bleeders on the rear brakes? Someoen with a 308 fought this for 2-days wasting a ton a fluid before he saw the 2nd bleeder on the rear brakes. Just a thought.

4. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    There are 2 bleed screws on the rear calipers (one inside, one outside), but I would think this is not the issue. So I understand that you are pushing on the brake pedal with a rear bleed screw open and nothing is coming out, and the pedal does not move? It sounds to me like it would have to be in the master cylinder. There is nothing in the ABS circuit to block the flow of fluid to the rear calipers. With the bleed screw open, there is nothing beyond the master cylinder to block things off. (I think).

5. ang308

ang308 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 17, 2004
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Yes there are two bleeders. Still nothing. The master cylinder seems to be part of or ontop of the abs unit. There are three lines coming out of the unit-2 lines for the front brakes and a single for the rear brakes. When I opened both front lines the pedal went to the floor and fluid came out--but when I opened the rear brakes-barely any fluid drips out and the pedal does not budge. Seems like the abs unit is not allowing any fluid to go to the rear brakes hence no fluid coming out at the rear. Its been driving me insane.

6. Ghibli Cup #11

Ghibli Cup #11 Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Noah
    The ABS unit can and will prevent presure from building and I do think that this is your problem. When the ABS systems wants to maintain brake pressure at the wheel, it will close the MC from the caliper and the caliper from return pump/accumulator. This will create the exact phenomia you are describing. Try to pull the ABS fuse and see if there is a change.