Question on Acrylic thinners | FerrariChat

Question on Acrylic thinners

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by EnzoNZ, Oct 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    After many, many years away from it I'm starting to build some Tameo 1/43 kits again. I used to use enamel but have now decided to try Tamiya Acrylic paints. My question is what is the rough dilution of acrylic thinners to use for airbrush application?

2. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    I have been working in 1/43 for many years...paint is a specialty for me. I have always gone with "consistency of milk" when using an airbrush. You can also use laquer thinners with Tamiya paints but work in thin layers. The benefit is the quick burn off and resulting fast dry time [but I have to work faster]. Of course after decal placement a clearcoat will blend everything together. These should be followed with a good wet coat...avoid the laquer thinners at this stage...I am not sure what affect they have on Tamiya clear. I use automotive clears and they take a lot of practice and are not for the hobbiest.

3. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass

Thanks - that all makes good sense. I'm beyond being a hobbiest but no expert - I know more than enough to get into trouble :)

I have already bought acrylic thinners so will use them - the laquer sounds interesting to speed up initial layers - I'll remember that.