Interest in a cheap distributor cap kit? | FerrariChat

Interest in a cheap distributor cap kit?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mk e, Oct 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I'm thinking for my car I'm going to make an adapter, or more likely a new distributor housing (easy on a CIS car and its a little neater), to use common, cheap ($15-$30) and readily available distributor caps and rotors. This could be done for 1 and 2 distributor V8s and 2 distributor V12s since 4, 6, 8 cyl caps are everywhere.

If any one is interested, I could make more. It would be about a $300-$400 kit I think for twin distributor cars, 1/2 that for a single distributor set-up. Let me know.

Mark

2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Mark,

Nice idea, and making a commonly available cap to fit would be rather easy on the CIS car, but the rotor is a different matter. The shaft is thin, and thus far the only rotor that I could find that would actually fit the shaft was, IIRC, for a very old model Peugeot (404?) but too short. Obviously, the fact that it was pointing in the opposite direction bears no conceque. Once you have to start modifying the cap or rotor that is commonly available it becomes counter-productive. (That's relative, the cap cor a dual dizzy CIS V-8 costs nearly 600 USD here)

Cheers!

Jack.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Good point. My thought was an adapter for a common rotor to match the cap. I think an adapter would be straight forward becasue the ferrai shaft is so small it leaves plenty of room.

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I would like the kit. Please keep me posted.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Mark I have been working on this off and on also. I have a design for an adapter ring that goes between the OEM dizzy and a volvo 4 cyl cap. So day i will get it fab'ed and see how it works. Also I have an Fiat rotor that is almost a dead ringer for the early carb. 308's. All I need to do is use a small shim when I slip it onto the shaft. Maybe I'll get to it this winter. Also from what i have seen there is a stock 8cyl. mallory dizzy cap that fits right on the 308 dizzy. Only need to modif it to add spring clips to keep it on. Keep going I think others would be interested. Let us know how you make out.