Question on 250GTO | FerrariChat

Question on 250GTO

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by martx-5, Oct 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. martx-5

martx-5 Rookie

Dec 15, 2006
    Kings Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Art Liefke
    #1 martx-5, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK guys, this is my first post. I've been lurking here on FerrariChat for awhile, and sometimes I just feel a bit intimidated by entering another world that sometimes I don't think I should be in. First of all, I do not own a Ferrari, and have never been in any position where I could ever afford one. But, I do love sports cars ever since I bought a TR4 back in '65. I've had all kinds since then, and please don't laugh too loud, but now own a '59 TR3, which I'm doing a ground up resto on, and a '92 Miata...oh, I knew that would get you. Well, I did slap on a supercharger!

Anyway, I've always had a place place in my heart for Ferrari's ever since I saw and heard them race a Bridghampton back in the '60's. The man, Enzo, and his machines have always brought a sparkle to my eyes. It's such a fascinating story.

So, that brings me to the question. One of my other passions is watercolor painting. I've done a whole mess of car portraits, and one of them is a 250GTO I did about 16 years ago. After reading most of the threads in this vintage section and how you guys are able to look at certain cars and come up with the serial number just amazes me. You guys know your stuff.

I'd like to see if someone can come up with a serial number for this GTO that I painted. The picture came from a published book about sports cars. It wasn't Ferrari specific. The background and general setting of the watercolor is as the photograph was in the picture in the book. Unfortunately, I do not have the book, so do not know the name of it or any other publishing info.

Since there was such variety in the details of the bodies on the 250GTO's maybe we can put a serial number on this car.

Thanks,

Art

Edit: The proportions may look a bit skewed because I had to take the picture at an angle to prevent the flash from glaring out off the glass.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Wow that looks great! I'm sorry but I do not know serial numbers, but welcome to the board. You've already contributed more than I have in a couple years here.

Peter

3. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    3729gt - currently owned by Jon Shirley

4. AndruetBiche

AndruetBiche Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2006
    Is that the ex-Jack Sears GTO? - note louvers on hood.

5. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
  6. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
  7. martx-5

martx-5 Rookie

Dec 15, 2006
    Kings Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Art Liefke
    WOW! You guys are fast, and very definitive in your answer. I know that the three gill slits in the fender narrows down the possibilities over what seems to be the more common two gill slits.

Was it the louvers on the hood that positively identified this GTO as 3729GT, or were there other details that contributed to the ID?

Thanks again for the info. My painting now has a history attached to it.

Art

8. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    rhd
    3 slots in wing
    louvres on bonnet
    cooling holes
    spotlight cutouts but no spotlights
    no chrome surround to radiator inlet (there should be a prancing horse in there though)

http://www.barchetta.cc/Common/Images/SN/3729GT/Large/250.GTO.3729GT.010.jpg

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    It shares the hood louvers and third slot on each fender with 3647 GT but the removed the large, empty holes left after the driving lights were removed easily identify this particular car.

10. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.

iirc the louvres are different on the 2 cars
    3729gt just having 1 long set each side of the power bulge and 3647gt having a gap halfway along each set (making it into 4 sets of louvres)

11. martx-5

martx-5 Rookie

Dec 15, 2006
    Kings Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Art Liefke
    The prancing horse in the radiator inlet...I'm usually very careful about what I put in my car portraits. I paint whatever I see. It may have been something I overlooked when I did the painting, or for some reason it didn't show up in the original photograph. If the horse is set back, it might have got shadowed out. Although the photo linked to seems to show the horse pretty far forward in the opening. However, since I know now it should be there, it's easy enough to go back and scrape out some of the black area in the radiator inlet to show the prancing horse. I don't use any white in my watercolors. When you want white, you don't put any paint there...it's just the white of the paper. Wire wheels are tedious, you have to paint around them, or scrape the paint off afterwards. I prefer to paint around so I don't damage the paper. I'll fix this oversight. Besides, it will break up a rather featureless area.

12. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

Nothing wrong with a 1959 TR :D

kudo's on the painting!