Fiberglass replacement bumpers for US Spec 308?? | FerrariChat

Fiberglass replacement bumpers for US Spec 308??

Discussion in '308/328' started by GT4fore, Oct 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT4fore

GT4fore Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Mt. Airy, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Does such a bumper exist? If not, I'm prolly going to make a mold of my original bumpers and cast some fiberglass replacements. Just finished stripping the car of all bolt ons (and rivet ons), getting ready to send her off to the paint shop. Man, those original bumpers were heavy.

-GT

2. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    If you are going to the trouble of making a mold, you should probably make it of the euro style bumpers. But if you do it I might be interested in a set of front and rear fiberglass bumpers.

Aaron

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  4. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    There is someone here in the Uk who makes them, but they are horrendously overpriced.

5. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    hmmm... this could be cool. I'd love to get rid of the anchors that sit on the front and back. Replacing them with something that looks (US) stock but isn't has quite a bit of appeal to me. Pease keep us informed on your progress. I'd be interested in a set too.

6. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
  7. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
  8. wise3

wise3 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Ward Orndoff
    personally I would prefer a mold of the US bumpers. I'd definitely be in for a set of those. The Euro style front bumper has a different shape, and leaves gaps between it and the US grille. And as mentioned in other threads, the true Euro front bumper does not just bolt onto a US car -- some mods required. On the other hand, it would be nice if they did not stick out as far as the stock US bumpers (although that can be handled in front by simply drilling the mount brackets). Just my 2 cents.

9. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #9 cavallo_nero, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
  11. GT4fore

GT4fore Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Mt. Airy, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Found these:

http://www.berlinettamotorcars.com/parts.htm

Check out the Berlinetta lightweight Euro bumpers for 308/328s $850 each. According to the email below, they are direct bolt ons.

Monday, 11:15 AM
    New York

Good Morning:

1) Are the bumpers a direct bolt on for my 308? YES

2) The price listed on your website is $850: EACH

Thank you for your interest in our products,

Janet on behalf of
    --
    Doug Pirrone
    President
    631 – 423 – 1010
    631 – 549 – 6700
    www.BerlinettaMotorcars.com
    Classic and Contemporary Ferraris
    Bought and Sold

"Berlinetta has earned a reputation for quality work." Car and Driver
    "A great Ferrari garage" Ken Gross in Automobile

Gary

12. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    I'm more concerned about weight than how far they stick out. I would be nice though to be able to adjust the amount the bumpers stick out without drilling the bumper shock (which is what i think you might be referring to). Maybe i'm over thinking it. I like how my car looks but it'd be cool to shave off that extra weight without changing the whole appearance with a euro bumper.

13. GT4fore

GT4fore Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Mt. Airy, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Gary
  14. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    The Berlinetta bumpers were $600 just a short time ago, I inquired about them when they were $600 and felt they were too expensive then and a short time later they raised the price. My opinion that's nuts paying that much for a fiberglass part that's really not that big. I can see $850 for both front and rear but not each. I bought many high quality fiberglass parts for my 911 at a more reasonable prices. Best bet is make a mold and build your own and sell a couple to recoup the price of the material you have in the mold. Or better yet pull a male part off your existing bumper and take your time to flow the resin smooth for minimal finishing. There's a guy I know that runs a D sports Racer that built his fiberglass body from a male plug, if you saw this thing you swear it was made from a female mold. He told me that he used a resin that flows out well and he squeegee's it out like you would doing bondo. Doing it on a male pull, the part will be slightly larger but not enough to make a difference. If you like you can PM me and I'll give you site that has pictures of his car done this way.

15. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    #15 pad, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017