Almost a part of the brotherhood but I have a question on valve guides. | FerrariChat

Almost a part of the brotherhood but I have a question on valve guides.

Discussion in '348/355' started by recoil, Oct 31, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hey guys,

I've read that getting the valve guides done is a must. Then I've heard other people say it's overblown. There is a 96 355 GTB for sale with over 30K miles. The owner says it doesn't leak, it doesn't burn oil. He has kept all of the service records and the 30K major was just done. The valve guides have not been done.

Should I be concerned?

Steve

2. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Get a compression and leakdown test......if all is ok and the maintenance records are up to date then make an offer.

The whole valve guide issue has been overblown by the internet chatters.

When I spoke to the dealer on this issue I was advised that they have seen very few 355's with the valve guide issue and when it was a problem....it was not mileage but time.....it usually showed up in the first couple of years from when the car was NEW.

When I was looking for a 355 I looked at some cars having ove 85k and they were still running fine and on the original guides. (and exhaust manifolds too).

In any case, if its a concern just get them changed to sintered steel guides at your next full belt service....the cost is rather nominal (around 3 g should cover it) as the labour is essentially covered by the engine out belt service.

If it is still an issue for you then perhaps you should consider either a 348 or a 360.

3. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'll request the leakdown/compression tests. The local Ferrari dealer will not do a PPI but said they would do those tests.

Steve

4. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Sounds like you are on the right path.... :)

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Not do a PPI? Have an Independent shop in your area do one if the dealer won't..

6. FullChat

FullChat Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    According to this poll, 21% had replaced their guides (and some of the 79% left were '99s). How many others should replace them and haven't??

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=507

If replaced preventively as a part of a 30k, it's only 3K for the guides alone or 6k for a top-end job by Eugenio - if no other problems arise. If they fail and it's unplanned - now I think that can get expensive.

Do you feel lucky (and is the PPI good?)?

7. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

First of all, there is no 355 brotherhood :cool:

As for the 355 valve guides, why not just do the valve job?

Yes, the engine comes out -- so do it when you need a service or just service the engine regardless. Then, the valve job is about another 20 hours of labor plus about $1800 in parts. So you're looking at an extra $3500 or so.

Paranoia? No. But I guarantee you one thing: if you do the valve job, you'll never have a 355 engine problem that could cost you as much as 20-30 grand.

I have been looking at a 95 F355 and I am committed to doing the valve job as soon as I buy a 355, if I buy one. Big deal. The car will be worth more anyway because one never finds a 355 on the market with the valve job done.

8. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If I buy the older car, I will definitely get the valve guides replaced at the next opportunity (assuming it makes it there). I'm asking the guys here if they *must* be done. If I get the older one and can wait until the next major (say it passes leakdown/compression), then I'm all set.

If the consensus is not to wait and do it right away (to avoid a 20-30K mistake), then I might be better off looking at a 99 on the market for a bit more than the 96.

By the way, I think the 30K done on the older car wasn't done by a Ferrari mechanic. This now has me very worried. The car is going to a F-dealer tomorrow for leakdown/compression. I will ask the Ferrari mechanic to check out as much as he can.

Steve

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    The 355 brotherhood agrees.... :D!!!

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Just do the guides and price it into your offer someway. Better safe than sorry.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The 348 Brotherhood does not. HAHAHAAA!!! You forgot we voted on it and the it's still the 348 Brotherhood. But you are still an honorary member. :p

12. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    So long as the leak down & compression tests come back fine, I wouldn't be.

Don't forget to have the PPI done. Again, if it all checks out I would say it's a buy.

13. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I think there should be another vote some time in the near future......:)

14. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    If not one of these cars, be sure to buy a 355. These cars are INSANE, and they seem to be at their lowest price, stable for about a year or so. I've never driven a 348, but I can tell you a 360 doesn't feel how I always dreamed a Ferrari should. The 355 is a true beast, and is the only car I've ever had that continues to deliver so much joy even after months of ownership. In fact, the experience keeps getting better! I have heard others say the 355 isn't a good first Ferrari, but for me it couldn't be any better.
    Good luck with your search!!!

15. nunojcmaia

nunojcmaia Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2004
    porto - portugal
    Full Name:
    nuno maia

unnecessary !

16. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I thought the "brotherhood" was Ferrari in general. :)

Now I see the lines of division starting to form.

Steve

17. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Personally, I belong to the "Ferrari Brotherhood" ... and happen to own a 348 that looks like a 355...runs great, looks great, and what I like best is that ALL the guys in Corvettes stop and stare...

Mike in Kuwait

18. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani

Steve

it appears your doing your due diligence, which is the best thing to do

at 30k miles proceed with caution

report back your findings :)

19. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I had to back out from the car; with regret (because I want one so badly). I found out a partial 30K service was done. It took me a bit of effort to track down the ex-Ferrari tech that did the work (thanks to someone here at Ferrarichat!). Because it wasn't fully done, I don't want to take a chance on the car (unless I redid the entire 30K service).

Now I understand why so many guys have searched for months to find the right car.

I'll have to be patient and sit around like a vulture until one of you guys sells their F355. I hope I'm not old and grey by the time that happens. I do want to thank everyone that has PM'd me about their car for sale -- but so far, none have been red (first Ferrari must be red!).

I can see how someone would get frustrated with this search and move on to the 360 -- but I'm going to hunker down and wait for the right 355.

Steve