348 vs. 308 mechanical | FerrariChat

348 vs. 308 mechanical

Discussion in '348/355' started by laguna, Nov 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. laguna

laguna Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    Central California
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I genuinely enjoyed a 308 GTS for nearly 20 years prior to selling, but can't quite seem to continue on in life without a Ferrari to hear, see, smell and drive occasionally. The most extensive work my mechanic performed on my trouble free 308 was the 30K mile service, this along with all of the cars other minor needs were not beyond his capability, but probably close to his limit of knowledge and skill. I'm interested in a 348 and am wondering if they are much more mechanically sophisticated and troublesome than my 308, and if it may be over my mechanics head. He does great with a manual, but owns no sophisticated diagnostic equipment.
    Please share some opinions.

2. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    I can't compare the two since I only own a 348. From what I know, the 348s are easy work with, everything is hand assembled and there is Tons of information on this board to help you with just about any issue. They are relatively simple cars as well compared to more modern cars with self leveling suspensions, F1 gearboxes etc,

However the 30K major service does involve taking the engine out of the 348 unlike the 308, so that takes more time and money. Unless you do it yourself (many on this board have), I'd only feel comfortable getting it done by someone who really knew what they were doing. As far as equipment goes, the 348 has to ECUs, 2 Mafs and 2 throttle bodies. My shop did use some pretty sophisticated equipment to tune the engine once they finished the 30K to make sure everything was working well.

So I'd say, probably a bit harder to maintain than a 308, but much easier than a 355 if you believe this board.... :)

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    308's and 328's and 348's are all good cars mechanically. That's not the typical Italian weakpoint.

For major service, you can change the timing belts easier on a 308 than on a 348...but that's a once in 3 to 5 year proposition.

For minor service, it's easier to change the transmission oil (I recommend doing this every year!) and clutch on a 348.

If you have a 308 with CIS, then the 348 actually has fewer fuel injection parts (no fuel accumulators, for instance).

For a DIY'er, the 348 offers computerized self-diagnostics...the computers on-board monitor many aspects of the vehicle, report specific faults, and make repairs quick.

For instance, the 348's A/C computer has an on-board diagnostic mode that lets you move/activate/test each motor/sensor/fan/light/valve in the entire air conditioning and heating system! And it monitors all of the above to tell you if you need to replace a component.

Ditto for the 348's ABS computer, which lets you test/monitor all brake valves/sensors.

...And the 348's Motronic 2.7 is one of the best engine computers ever sold to the public. Not only does it monitor your engine and conditions (e.g. temps, fuel/air ratio, battery/alt voltage), but it has a watchdog timer on-board that prevents a software error from impacting your motor adversely.

Press a red button and your CEL's will flash a code that will tell you if soemthing is wrong with your 348.

These are powerful tools for the Ferrari owner who wants to work on the car herself!

4. laguna

laguna Rookie

Oct 27, 2005
    Central California
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What a luxury it is to have such excellent feed back from loyal enthusiasts. Thank you for taking the time to fill me in, I think for the most part my trusted mechanic would be capable of handling a considerable amount of the service and repairs.