What is this in the engine bay | FerrariChat

What is this in the engine bay

Discussion in '308/328' started by BwanaJoe, Nov 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    #1 BwanaJoe, Nov 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Well that's strange. What is the other end connected to, or where is it going? Looks like a vent hose of some kind, but nothing down there it would attach to. Maybe it fell down from up above?

3. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    It is connected to the air intake just below the connector to the filter. It feels like one piece of plastic.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It's designed to blow cool air on the CV joint.

5. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Thanks. Glad it isn't something that was busted!

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    and without that $2 dollar tube, you need to replace the CV boot every 2 years :(

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  8. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    So the opening is for cooling the cats or cv joint, and has nothing to do with my high oil temps, right???

It the gauge is reading correctly, what else could be causing the oil to heat up so much...especially since the water temps are fine?

Frank

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    To cool a CV joint? SERIOUSLY? Never heard of CV joints overheating unless the gaiter has torn and allowed the grease to be thrown out. If that thing is really for that purpose then those EyeTies are even wierder than old Limey motorcycle designers!!

10. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #10 CliffBeer, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
    No need to cool a cv joint - unless perhaps you're involved in WRC...

11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #11 finnerty, Apr 27, 2009
    To be a little more specific...

There's a spot back and under there on the 308 where the lead pipe from the forward bank comes very close to both the differential and the inboard CV joint on the passenger side. The area is not well ventilated, so the exhaust pipe tends to make temps pretty high there, and the duct blows fresh air into this location to try to cool both the diff and the joint boot ----- doesn't work all that great though. I added a heat shield around my pipe a while back, tossed the duct in the trash can, and now I don't have to replace that cv boot until it wears out "normally" :).

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #12 308 GTB, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    This is not on the earlier carb cars so we must not have as hot of an exhaust , HAHAHAHA

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    LOL! Well I'll be darned! OK, from now on if anybody tells me that Ferrari's are better designed than Fords, I'll just show 'em that picture! :)

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#15 dwhite, Apr 27, 2009
    Changed the cam belts and tensioner bearings Saturday with another fchatter and we were joking about the tube and what it would cost from ferrari. Does not do a good job, my car also needs a new boot. We came to the wrong conclusion it was just to try and cool the entire engine compartment somewhat. He has a '77 so his car does not have one.

16. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Try checking the parts manual for the location of the oil temp sender. I honestly have no clue where it is located. Next, clean every contact you can find in that circuit path including the gauge connections themselves. I use dielectic grease to keep the corrosion down. It MAY just be dirty contacts or grounds after all these years. Or, the gauge itself is out of whack. Or, that oil temp sender is hosed.

Don't feel bad, I am doing the same thing right now for my water temp gauge. Ahhhh, the fun never stops...

17. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #17 Brian Harper, Apr 27, 2009
    Once you find the temp sensor pull it out, rig up a ground wire and dip it in a pan of very recently boiling water. If you don't get 100C/212F, keep on working on the circuit. If you do get 100C, then put the sensor back in and find out why your oil is getting so hot.

308GTB/GTS: Table 17 - LUBRICATION SYSTEM (308 GTS AND AUS) shows a thermistor right in the neighborhood of the shifter input on the front of the engine. I would guess draining the oil first before pulling this out would be a good idea, or at least be ready with an adequate bucket. I would also guess a dry sump car would have it on the oil tank, but I didn't see it on the TAV.