Olympic Games in Chicago in 2016? | FerrariChat

Olympic Games in Chicago in 2016?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Oct 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Our chances for hosting the games in 2016 just improved dramatically IMHO:

Today Brazil is expected to get the ok from the FIFA to host the 2014 Soccer World Cup. Rio is the only city in our time zones that is applying for the 2016 games. I think it is very unlikely that Brazil would get the games 2 years after it just hosted the World Cup.

Here's hoping!

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm still hoping the olimpics will stay out.
    Too messy,too crowded,more excuses for the mafia governing the State and the city to extort more $$$ from us here....

3. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Makes more sense to me than having the Superbowl in London in 2010 though..

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    At least I don't have to worry about that one...

5. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    Can't wait!

Was at the O'hare Airport last week and saw their picture of the future airport. I suppose it will be made for the 2016 Olympics.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That's the spirit!

I was fortunate enough to have been in town during the World Cup Soccer and even got tickets for the opening ceremony at Soldier Field. It was absolutely magnificent and one the most spectacular events I have ever been to. Also greatly enjoyed the subsequent games played at Soldier Field. The town was buzzing with energy and tourists from all over the world.

7. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If we get the Olympics, I'll be going on vacation while they're here. My neighborhood is already crowded enough during Bears games... I don't even want to see what kind of mess the Olympics will cause.

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm with you on this one.
    It's a messy event for the locals, no matter how you look at it.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You guys need to seriously loosen up and start smelling the roses.

I have lived for ten years near Wrigley Field and I can't even stand baseball. So what!

10. Az330im

Az330im Karting

Mar 9, 2006
    I'm kind of leaning towards not having the olympics.....traffic is horrible as it is, I can only imagine how much worse it can get.

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    The only people it benefits are the merchants and the City.

The rest of us lowly infidels will only suffer from the insurgents rampage. I really don't see my life being enriched in any way if the IOC picks Chicago.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    ...and the folks who like to watch the world's greatest athletes competing against each other, representing their nations and setting new world records. The biggest and most important sporting event to happen once in 4 years and probably the only time ever in Chicago.

I'm not even a big sports fan, but I don't get it why people aren't more excited about this? After all the US is normally one of the top running nations in the medals count. And even if that wasn't the case, the mere chance of watching the best of the best would be reason enough for me.

13. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If I really cared that much about the Olympics, I'd happily travel to see them... rather than deal with the problems that will come from having them in my back yard.

14. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Andreas,

No matter where in the world it takes place, watch it on TV and you'll see more. If you were to go 'live', you'd never see as much as you can see on TV!

Getting into and out of Chicago will be a nightmare if it takes place here. And then there's the security involved,imagine what that will be like. Everyone will be considered a 'terrorist' unless they can prove differently!

Skippity

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I wonder why they even have seats at Soldier field or Wrigley? And why even bother going to the Symphony or any rock concert? Or a museum for that matter. Just watch it all on TV. Nott.

Anyhow, I do find it interesting and puzzling that I seem to be a lone wolf with my interest. I would have never guessed that. Particularly not from a front running nation like the US that has chance on gold medals in many of the events. Strange. I'm sure many of my European friends will spend thousands of $$$ to fly and stay here for a chance to see the games, yet folks living here talk about leaving town.

Reminds me a bit of Monte Carlo where the saying goes, that 50% of the people living there actually leave town for the Grand Prix. The other 50% make an extra buck renting out their apartments.

16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Well......it's like the time I met a guy born and raised in London. I began talking about the wonders of Westminster Abbey and its environs (to me, one of the most interesting places in the world). His response, "Rallly, I've never been thar."

Go figure!

It seems that what happens in a person's own back yard, is never as interesting as what happens elsewhere.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good point. I would have never seen the Matterhorn had it not been for a visitor who wanted me to show it to him. It is pretty btw. :)

18. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Yes, I know, and the Zugspitze is too. It was a beautiful sight to see every morning from my hotel window in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nice segway back to the thread. :)

20. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Danke! :D

21. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    I'm an hour away...so bring them on!

22. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    My Granddaugther(s) will be swimming in the 2016 Olympics. I don't want to travel very far.

Sincere post.

Norbert

23. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    That's cool Norbert. My Dad swam with Johnny Weismuller(Olympic gold medal winner who became Tarzan).

24. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    2010 Olympic's = Vancouver

:D ;)

25. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    ?