Turning In NY License Plates | FerrariChat

Turning In NY License Plates

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by jhsalah, Nov 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Hi all, before I get flamed I'm sure if I searched for a while (whether here or on the web) I could find this answer, but anyone know the best way to return plates from out of state? As most of you know I sold the Ferrari a couple months ago. My old plates are still sitting here in my office in Philly. Can I just mail these suckers in or something? I think I need "proof" of having returned them, in order to cancel my insurance, or I get in trouble in NY state don't I?

Cheers, thanks.

2. GlobalLambo

GlobalLambo Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2006
    Mineola, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Rose
    Well in New York State if you have no insurance on a vehicle and do not return the plates they can suspend your driving privledges and slam you with some serious fines.

I would contact the NYS DMV at 1-800-DIAL-DMV and they will give you the proper address to mail them. If you still have a problem getting someone on the phone, PM me on Monday and I will call a lady friend at DMV and get you the proper info.

3. FastFurious

FastFurious Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2006
    NYC-Upper East Side
    Or just Mail them to any of your friends who still reside in NYS and they can return them for you. They will be issued a card stating that the plates were turned in.

Seth, shouldnt you be out Gambling? Partying??? Getting Photographed in comprimising positions or something????

4. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2006
    Manhattan,NY
    Full Name:
    Ludmilla
    Please, do not laugh, but you can make some good money by selling your NY plates to Europeans. I do not know if that will be more than a fine but you can find out by offering it on the European Ebay. While in Europe I had to take Marcello's plate off if he was parked in the "suspicious" location. His plate was the main attraction.

5. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Why do you need to turn them in? Cancel your insurance and don't renew the registration. I've never turned in plates to the DMV.

6. GlobalLambo

Oct 22, 2006
    Mineola, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Rose
    What action does the DMV take if I do not have insurance and I do not surrender my vehicle plates immediately?
    If you do not have insurance coverage and you do not surrender your vehicle plates to the DMV, your registration and driver license are suspended indefinitely.

If you had a lapse in your insurance coverage and did not surrender your vehicle plates immediately, your registration is suspended for the same number of days that you did not have insurance coverage, but did hold the vehicle plates. If the time is more than 90 days, your driver license is also suspended for the same number of days as the registration. To reinstate your driver license, you must pay a termination fee of $25 when the suspension ends.

How do I prevent a suspension if my liability insurance lapses?
    You can prevent the suspension of your registration and driver license if you surrender your vehicle plates to the DMV before your liability insurance lapses.

You are not required to surrender your vehicle plates for a suspension of 90 days or shorter if you pay a civil penalty. You cannot use the civil penalty option if the lapse is longer than 90 days or you used this option in the past 3 years.

The civil penalty amounts shown below are the amounts for suspensions that take effect on or after October 1, 2005. The civil penalty amount is:

$8 per day for each day of the lapse from day 1 through day 30, and
    $10 per day for each day of the lapse from day 31 through day 60, and
    $12 per day for each day of the lapse from day 61 through day 90.
    For example, if you had a lapse of insurance for 85 days, your civil penalty is calculated as follows:

$8 x 30 days ($240) for days 1 through 30 of the lapse, plus
    $10 x 30 days ($300) for days 31 through 60 of the lapse, plus
    $12 x 25 days ($300) for days 61 through 85 of the lapse
    for a total civil penalty of $840.
    Note: Motorcycles are exempt from the requirement to surrender the vehicle plate when the liability insurance lapses, but liability coverage is required when the motorcycle is operated.

7. GlobalLambo

Oct 22, 2006
    Mineola, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Rose
    How to surrender vehicle plates by mail:

You can send the vehicle plates to the DMV from any location. There is no fee to surrender your vehicle plates by mail to the address below. If you surrender the plates by mail to a county motor vehicle office instead of a state DMV office, you must enclose a $1 processing fee.

When you surrender vehicle plates by mail, the DMV considers the postmark date as the date that you surrendered your vehicle plates. Make sure that you include your current mailing address. The DMV will mail your FS-6T receipt to you. To be notified by the US Postal Service that your vehicle plates were received, send them by registered or certified mail, and request a return receipt. Remove frames and fasteners before you surrender a vehicle plate or vehicle plates. The DMV office will not accept a vehicle plate with a frame or any fasteners attached.

Send your vehicle plates and other information to:

Riverhead Office - NYSDMV
    200 Old Country Road - Route 58
    Riverhead, NY 11901

8. FastFurious

FastFurious Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2006
    NYC-Upper East Side
    Good Find Seth!!!!!! But again, I reiterate..... Shouldnt you be out partying????

9. Angelo08

Angelo08 Rookie

Sep 26, 2006
    NY
    i had three single plates and two sets sitting around for about 6 years since several of my cars never graced a front plate. I submitted them to DMV with no issues or fines.
    I kept one set. They had nothing on record of any plates that were owed.

10. GlobalLambo

Oct 22, 2006
    Mineola, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Rose

It was a wash.... Clubs werent so crazy and we were so damn hungover...

Tonight is going to be a crazy nite, we are going out with a BANG! Be prepared for pictures on the "other" site........ Too sensitive for this one.....

11. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Contact this company LIPSCO at (718) 436-5956. I am sure they can help you.

12. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Thanks for the suggestions all.
    Best,
    J.