Original Daytona Radio | FerrariChat

Original Daytona Radio

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by premieram, Nov 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Hi all:

I have an eye sore radio (circa 1985) that I would like to replace with a period radio. My Dino of the same period has a Becker Europa and I have seen some vintage Blaupunct radios in Daytonas. Is there a correct radio that was made for the Daytona or were they dealer installed? Also, I would prefer one that has a cassette player in it (ala Becker Mexico, if I could fit the unit and seperate amp in the Daytona radio slot) so I can play my iPod through it.

Any thoughts?

Joe Seminetta

2. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
  3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Im 99% sure the radios were all dealer installed.

My Daytona has an old Blaupunkt in it that is pretty dang ancient. It has a cassette player and forget about any ipod hookup. It does work though and sounds ok. Still, im sure it does not date to the cars original delivery as it has a cassette player and I dont think those were around in '69.

If I were going to ever replace it, I would install one of those cool new Becker Mexico modern radios, the ones that look retro but have satellite radio and ipod hookup and all the other neat modern stuff build in.

Tis pointless for my use though, I usually have the windows down and the engine makes the music.

Terry

4. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    +1 on that. Not sure if the radio still works on mine never turned it on!

5. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    RADIO?! HELL WE THRU THAT AWAY DURING THE RESTORATION AND PLUGGED THE HOLE, I'W WITH YOU TERRY , MY TOP IS ALWAYS DOWN WHEN DRIVING, CHUCK

6. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    I know, I know, I love to listen to the motor as well but have done some fairly long drives with my current wife :)
    FYI, you can buy a cassette with a wire coming out of it that you plug into your iPod, hence any car with a cassette deck can be easily made to connect your iPod, regardless of age.
    It is a really nice thing to have if you have an older car.

jts

7. 50693

50693 Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    columbus, ohio
    Becker is now making a new Mexico model that does look period correct for the Daytona, but w/ odern electronics and benfits- but it is very pricey though - but hell it is a Daytona

8. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Joe,

Most radios for the Ferrari Daytona were installed by the dealer. The Becker Mexico seems to be the most popular. Eight of ten Daytonas I've owned had the Becker Mexico installed. One came with, and still has, a Lear Jet radio. The other had a mondern radio already installed in it. Becker Mexico's are easy to come by and can be restored to work like new. And, as mentioned the previous posts, Becker makes a new radio that has an old Mexico look to it. Oh, and you can hook up an iPod to the old Becker Mexico.

Steve

9. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Voxson am/fm 8 track. I think is the most coveted radio for the daytona. my 2 cents.

10. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I would select the retro Becker.

I did a thousand miles, up from Miami, listening to the motor. Then replaced the fuse. Still, today, I never turn the radio on.

11. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Definitely Voxson AM/FM 8-Track for the most correct look. They also made the retractable power antenna unit and, as I understand it, were the most common of the actual factory (as opposed to dealer) installed units. In fact, I happen to know my Voxson was installed at the factory, as the original owner of my car said it was there when he picked it up for European delivery at the factory, and he hated it even then!

Michael

12. 50693

50693 Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    columbus, ohio
    Over the years I've spent a lot of time in alot of Ferraris, now I feel I have committed heresy. I have never once listened to the radio, even in a modern cat that makes no noise, while driving. I should havr recommended no radio, actually when I get another 308 I eant to get the radio blank out plate. P.S. A ferrerari is its own music

13. 50693

50693 Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    columbus, ohio
    sorry all, i' had a stroke a while back and have recovered form almost all of it completely well, but when I get tired I have a hard time typing so I apologize for all errors and just ask for your patience, thanks

Hawkeye likes this.
  14. Olimpi

Olimpi Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    Full Name:
    David D. Olimpi
    My recollection: The Voxon was the radio that came from the Factory in the Daytona, althought I seem to remember that it was something like an FM/ longwave/ 8-track or something along those lines, rather than an AM-FM.

Dave Olimpi

15. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    My understanding was that the Voxson with the 8 track may have been considered the best on the earlier cars but the cassette had replaced the 8 track in the later Daytona years.

16. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    My Daytona is a RHD UK car. It has a Sony cassette which is the same as I have seen in other RHD UK cars. I turn it on once in a while to lubricate the power antenae

17. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Just be careful about the depth of the modern Mexico, I had issues trying to fit a modern unit in the original console position so just gave up.

18. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I e-mailed becker on this radio a while back. They indicated they had no plans to bring it to the US. Not sure what all of the issues are, but one of them would likely be that the map software probably does not include the US. Also, I assume the radio frequency differences might be an issue for tuning stations (??) Not sure what else might not work exactly right if you brought one into the US. I gave up on it since it seemed like an expensive experiment. If someone has one in the US, I would love to hear how well all of its features function.

Alberto

19. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    The factory delivery price sheet gives a choice of 2 bad radios..the cheaper Voxon Sonar at US$ 215 and the "premium" Blauplunkt Koln at $280. I had the Blaupunkt, took it out and had the console recovered. Prices as of Sept 27, 1971. The radios were the only factory options for US Spec Daytonas at that time.

20. 50693

50693 Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    columbus, ohio
    One more suggestion- Please ignore anyone who suggests a "DIN" mounting stero in place of one that has the original mounting holes for volume and tuning knobs, as well as a hole for the display and presets, keep the center console origianal. However if someone has butchered it up for a "DIN" mounted radio already and all you want is something not too glaringly wrong- Blaupunkt- normally has one of their low end raidios available with most modern features that are all black and have a volume knob so they are not glaringly out of place, while i know they are not period Daytona, they give you a fairly cheap radio remedy to a center console that has been butchered w/ the latestest techno stereo crap that doesn't belong. You will never win a concours w/ this blaupnukt low end stuff, but neither will you get sick seeing it your car

21. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    #21 IanB, Nov 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can you post a photo of a Daytona console with holes for knobs and display?

Every original radio I've seen looked like this. (photo from daytonaregistry.com)

Are you perhaps talking about a 365GT or GTC wood dash, which had specific holes?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. 50693

50693 Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    columbus, ohio
    sorry but i do not have a picture to post, but i'll try my best description. by looking at the radio you show, my guess would be that if you were to remove the face plate and knobs, you would see where there are two holes ( one for volume, one for tuning) and a rectangle for the display area. sometime in the 80's the DIN mounting became standard w/ most mabnufacturers, not sure when it started, but i know the daytona was too early for it. in brief, the DIN mounting hole is the size of the radio, ad the radio slides into a chasis from the front, as opposed to from behind in traditional configurations. Virtually all radios ,anufactured in the last 20+ tears have come in the DIN format- and I have seen many earlier cars that the radios holes have been enlarged to fit the DIN format, hopefully this is an accurate enough description

23. 50693

50693 Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    columbus, ohio
    sorry I got cut off on my previous post, but I wanted to say if I can clear up any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at pwmay2hotmail.com and I will do my best to answer w/ what i know. I've read from the forum that the 8 track is the "offiicial" factory radio, but my Daytona knowledge is not enough that i could say one way or an other. But, I do know, that the Blaupunkt mexico (in its original form) was period correct and should be easy to find at swap meets or on e-bay, w/out paying the ferrari premium because the were in virtually every mercedes from the late 60's to early 80's

24. 50693

50693 Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    columbus, ohio
    Sorry to bore everyone, but in response to a previous question about in dash radio holes. Prior to the DIN introduction in the 80"s at some time, virtuately every car that had an in dash radio (regardless of year make or model) had a radio set up that included 2 circular holes for tuning and volume knobs and a rectangular hole for the display/preset area. I know this seems counterintuitive to have one format fit everything

25. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Thanks for the clarification, I understand your point.

For what its worth, it would be a relatively simple home workshop fiberglass repair to restore a Daytona console that's had a DIN hole cut in it. Remove the trim, glass in the rectangular DIN hole, cut new holes for knobs and display, replace or renew the trim. At a pinch, you could do it from behind without removing the trim, as the Becker facia more than covers the area of a DIN aperture, so no real need to retrim.