BRAKE PADS for a 360 that is NOT tracked... | FerrariChat

BRAKE PADS for a 360 that is NOT tracked...

Discussion in '360/430' started by brokenarrow, Nov 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I've been poking around the forum and haven't found anything in terms of pads that are made for the road, and an ocassional spirited drive. I'm happy with the OEM's, but would like to consider cermics/partially ceramics as replacements. I don't need anything designed for the track that make noise, if you know what I mean.

My rotors currently read 31-32, really not enough to turn and maintain a 27mm minimum safety margin, and since my son rides on ocassion I'm not willing to take any chances. So I'm either going to buy the OEM's from Ricambi or the Giro discs (floating). I still have meat on the pads so it's not an emergency, but the OEM's are on serious sale at Ricambi so I don't want to delay too long, whereas the Giro's are $2g's.

Pads my friends, and nothing overkill either. Your thoughts, as always, are very much appreciated...

B~

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I have had outstanding results with AXXIS pads for almost twenty years. They have almost zero dust, no squeal and no fade. I have yet to use any other.... :)

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Porterfield R4S-AP592 - $300 for all four wheels, and you're dust-free/squeal free.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?cPath=602&products_id=261124

(Goth is right on the Axxis too. I don't know if they make a 360 pad, but they are very very good street pads. I run them in my daily drivers, and they have literally zero dust. For me personally, I'm not sure they'd be grippy enough for the Ferrari)

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Good stuff, guys. I would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts, good or bad, on the Giro discs. I'll do another search to be sure I've covered my basis.

5. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    I've had the Giro Disc rotors on my 360 for well over a year now. At the time that I purchased them, they were significantly cheaper than OEM, have reusable aluminum hats so the next replacement or two was going to be even cheaper, and saved a few pounds per corner. I've not had to replace them yet (6 or so track days and a good deal of street driving). I use Porterfield R4S pads for street, and switch to R4 for track.

Lou

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks, Lou. I'm going to go ahead and do the OEM's as the price is just too good to pass up. I wonder how much the rotors w/o the hats would be? I bet the OEM's are cheaper still. I'll also get the Porterfields.

Thanks again,

B~

7. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    The Porterfield catalog lists R4S brake pads for the 360 years 1999-2000. Is that a simple mistake about the years or do they really not fit the later years?

I'm very interested in the Porterfield pads for low dust. The OEM pads make the wheels dark after just one drive.

8. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    B~

Safe the extra bucks on the OEM pads and just get the Porterfield R4S pads. No brake dust, no squeal and a soild performing pad! The "S" stands for street and I used them at the track 2 weekends ago and they performed flawlessly with zero fade under spirited conditions.

Robert

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

They fit all years 360.

10. TESTADAZ

TESTADAZ Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    London, UK.
    Full Name:
    Daryn
    Hi do the R4S pads distinguish between front and rear?
    i know they are the same shape but the fronts have the sensor wire correct?

11. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    ^ The R4S does not hook into the sensor wire. My mechanic just neatly tucked it up out of the way. Just take a look at them every once in a while and you will be good.

Robert

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I was not aware of this. So there's no sensor function? Not a big deal, but nice knowing in advance...