Info on cam re-grinding | FerrariChat

Info on cam re-grinding

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by LightGuy, Nov 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm having an engine out done on a BB and was thinking of having the cams bumped up a bit while its out.
    The application will be for street only. Car has a Borla free flow exaust on it.
    Anyone have info on who does re-grinds or is it better to go with a new set of P-6s that I just read about in another thread.
    Are these available ?
    Or should I just leave well enough alone ?

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    WEB cams in california is the place to send the cams. You can also see prices per lobe on the site as well. They can offer you a performance grind they have or a custom one you supply. They'll weld, grind and straighten your cams. Elgin is another option but they dont weld the cams up which limits your options as he will reduce the base circle (which is minimal at best to start) to increase your lift. DO IT!

3. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks Newman; I'll check them out now.
    Any advice on a grind ?
    Many moons ago I had a "3/4 race" cam in my second car; a V-8 muscle car and it just sounded so Baaaad.
    I want the Boxer to rip the air !

4. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Here is webcams site;

http://www.webcamshafts.com/

The "hot street" profile seems to be the one that fits.
    Lift .360/.338
    Duration 290/284
    For carburated DOHC. Profile # 27-051

Anyone have specs on stock profile ?

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thats a nice grind but using a domestic V8 as an example, I would want 10.5:1 comp for a 290 duration cam so my "usable" compression ratio isnt below 8:1 unless I have a tall rear axle ratio. Your usable compression ratio is calculated from the left over volume in the cylinder after the intake valve closes. This cam will increase mid range power and peek HP numbers but will effect your low rpm torque in a negative way with a stock compression ratio. As for stock spec, they seem to be difficult to find. Ive searched on-line last week without success since im going to do a cam swap in mine as well. If you bump your compression up to 10.5 or 11:1 that above cam in combination with the rest of the package would make a huge difference right across the board. I think you would want to concentrate on lift mainly with some added duration if you leave the rest alone.