208 vs 308 | FerrariChat

208 vs 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by duetto66, Nov 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. duetto66

duetto66 Rookie

Nov 4, 2007
    I posted this in the general chat also:
    Hello to everyone on this forum. I'm new here and haven't owned a Ferrari for about 15 years. I've had most other exotics over the years. I am starting a project and i'd like some advice. I am going to acquire a Bertone bodied 308 that will undergo some performance enhancements. Specifically, supercharging, suspension, brakes, wheels and tires. The one absolutely essential part of this project is euro bumpers. I know most people don't love the looks of the car but to me its one of Ghandini's best but the euro bumbers are essential. (To show you where my head is I put up with a euro bumpered Khamsin as my daily driver in Manhattan for many years purely for aesthetics.) Therefore I can either source a 308 GT4 in europe, ship it here and do all the work; get all the parts for a bumper conversion and buy a U.S. car; or buy a 208 that is for sale here in th U.S.
    I should mention that federalization won't be a problem as I plan on shipping the car (back?) to Europe when it is done for use there.
    Option one is a ludicrousely expensive way to obtain a base car because the exchange rate puts perfect European gt4's at about $40,000 US before shipping. Option two is possible but will require sourcing and installation. I read of someone spending about $10,000 for just this. Option three would mean installing a 3 liter engine BUT since a supercharged engine fairs best with solid exhaust valves, perfect top and bottom ends, new chains, etc. i might want to do that. As an aside I was thinking I might get some takers for the two liter engine on the websites devoted to Stratos replicars. It would certainly look the part and be closer to original spec than the 3 liter some people install.
    So here come the questions:
    Exclusive of what i'm going to change anyway, what are the factory specification differences between the cars? I know the 208 has a black metal dash (which I prefer) and the badging of course. But it seems to me both could be purchased with a multitude of trim options, A.C. etc. Are there any drivetrain differences like smaller half-shafts, etc. to reduce weight or due to less HP and torque? Anything that would stop me dropping a 3 liter block right in? Anything else I should know? You time is appreciated. Thanks.

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Changing a US GT4 to a euro bumper car is not as easy as bolting on new bumbers. There is some pretty extensive body work that needs to be done.

3. Timj27

Timj27 Rookie

Sep 7, 2007
    If the 208 in the US is in correct trim, (California car), I think most F-folks would hate to see it get modified in that way. There are some less then nice/original 308s out there that would be better candidates for those modifications. I think there was a thread with some very sound advice regarding changing these older very original cars so much that they lack any originality. I for one agree with this view towards preservation. There are fewer and fewer of these older original examples around and we should consider that we are not just owners and drivers but caretakers as well.

4. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I have posted on the other thread with regards to the mechanical differences. One thing I would say is that the 208 engine is a lot more tuneful than the 308, presumably because the smaller carb throats made a higher pitched sound that isn't drowned out by the exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4pzGQAZ1TE

I always thought it was only ever available in Italy (for tax reasons) so I would be surprised to hear that there was an original California version?

5. Timj27

Timj27 Rookie

Sep 7, 2007
    Sorry it's not a Cal car but it's in Cal. Imported in the 80s and is an original Italian market 1977 208 GT4. Highly priced at $40K, but it appears very original with 16K miles. The only modification visable is the Speedo change from Km/H to MPH. It's at Classicshowcase. Serial # 13550. It would be a stretch but it looks good.

6. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Some place in Newport Beach, CA had a yellow one for sale last year. "Family Classics", or something like that.