What torque wrench do you use for TR Wheels? | FerrariChat

What torque wrench do you use for TR Wheels?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ASG 86TR, Nov 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Needing to get 350ftlbs on the TR's single bolts, what make of torque wrench did you guy's go with. Most 3/4" that reach 350ftlbs are 100-600lbs, it does need to read torque in both directions, and ratcheting. The length of over 40" helps also.

The Snap-On's are pretty pricey, the SK's are not too bad...what have you found to be good.

2. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
  3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    How about this? Get a 24 inch breaker bar, and place about 175 lbs on the end...thats about 350 ft lbs :). Lets see, which of my buddies/kids weights about 175 pounds :) .

I got to say that 350 pounds doesn't sound like a whole lot. I remember what my dad did when he changed wheels in the seventies. He put on the lug wrench, then stood on the end to "really" tighen it. Figure that lug wrench was about 1.5 feet, my dad about 250 lbs. Thats 350# of torque on one little lug nut...

And God know the mechanics used even more torque. If they used their air wrachet it often took one of us jumping up and down on the lug wrench to get the nuts off....

So, here is the question...

Why not just get a 24 inch breaker bar and then stand on the end...same result...

4. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    The torque wrench is for tightening the single nut on older TR's. Not taking it off, but you can use it for that as well.

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I know its for tightening...but the question still applies.

Torque is easy to measure. Its just the radius arm*force applied. 2ft*175lbs is 350ft/lds. Viola - no torque wrench needed. Still, 350# doesn't sound like a whole lot...especially given that this one bolt is holding the entire wheel on...

6. pdevivo

pdevivo Karting

Sep 12, 2002
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    PD
    I bought the harbor freight torque wrench and it works fine for limited use.

7. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    The torque spec for the 86 TR is 325 ft-lbs. The torque wrench is a precision instrument that is calibrated and needs to be re-calibrated from time to time to stay accurate. You do NOT want to use same as a breaker bar to loosten the lug bolt. You get what you pay for in a quality torque wrench. I use an SK. It is of very good quality and of a reasonable price point. EDoug

8. Marty

Marty Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Boston/PTown/SW FL
    Full Name:
    Martin Stark
    I bought the Harbor Freight 42" torque wrench. Note that it ratchets in both directions, but requires its 3/4" drive head to be flipped over (2 screws to r&r) to measure torque in the opposite direction. Btw, a shop rag between the octagonal centerlock and the socket will help protect the chrome.

9. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Good point, I have used, or rather my mechanic has used a plastic bag to protect the chrome.

10. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    The 3/4 inch socket is No. AV/1522 for the center bolt and has ZERO slop. There is no damage to the chrome. EDoug

11. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Another good question would be how do you stop the wheels from turning when removing those bad boys?

Brakes alone won't do the trick, especially on the front where there is little weight on the wheel.

12. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    If your wheels are spinning while trying to remove the bolts then they're way over torqued to begin with. I have no problem removing all wheels with just the parking brake set. You could try chocking the wheels with blocks of wood to stop the spinning.

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

14. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    On this subject, what are the correct wheel nut specs for a five stud Testarossa or 512TR. Nothing worse than doing them up too tight, too many times and actually stretching the threads. I'd love to do them to the right settings and then just check them one a week or so.

Anyone?

15. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Maybe, but it took Shelton a week to remove the rear wheels.
    I'm sure that that wasn't working on them for 40 hours, but you get my drift.

Now, I'm taking the front ones off with the 70mm socket and a 3/4 breaker bar.
    Its the type of bar that slides inside the nut driver, so the weak link pin is absent, but the front wheels just spin when you lean on the extension bar.

16. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

17. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    WOW! Over torqued or what ? Like I said try properly chocking the wheels with a piece of wood (perhaps a section of 2x4 or 1x3 or maybe even a red brick if you have one handy) and have someone lean hard on the brake pedal. Best of luck with it.

18. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
  19. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    My socket should be deliver today along with a few other items from Ricambia.