Looking To Hear Your Opinion | FerrariChat

Looking To Hear Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by dherman76, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Hello,
    I've been an unofficial member of this board for quite some time, just never had the nerve to register an account and start posting. I thought this board would be a good place to ask a question about salary/job title.

I was wondering what Business Analysts in New York City get paid, recent college graduate, but not entry level. Would be the only business analyst in the company. Sort of like a COO. This would be in the Internet/New Media realm.

Please note that the candidate is 21, has been an entrepreneur for 7 years and has worked at the company offering the position for the past summer and did extremely well. Graduating college and entertaining a full time offer from them.

What would you expect the offer to be? What are your thoughts? It has full benefits and 2 weeks paid vacation.

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Dh...I can't answer your question, but welcome aboard!

3. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Thank you very much! Looking forward to contributing.

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    A COO that can direct the efforts of the company at 21? After one SUMMER of good work?

I would tell you you have lost your mind and divest any money I had in it.

Entrepreneur for 7 years? That is 14 my firend? What was it? A paper route??

Seriously.

DrS

5. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    The position is a Business Analyst position that does what a COO would do - although, there is already a COO. And yes, this entrepreneur was pretty successful. I'm not asking people to flame the person, I'm asking what salary ranges should be (please respect that)...

6. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I am not intending to flame. Just making a good living at 14 is just about unbelievable.

But to be honest, we, or at least I, would have to know exactly he will be doing or expected to do. And what the company makes money wise.

"Like a COO" does not cut it as the traditional def of COO, back when I was one, was a Chief of Operations. IE this person was in charge of EVERYTHING under the sun that got the product sold, and that included production.

Think of a COO as the Chief of Staff for the Pres US. Yes there is a VP and a cabinet, but it is really the Chief of Staff that gets things done. Thusly, to turn your company over to some one with, maybe good, but seriously limited exp and only one summer of good work scares the hell out of me.

But to answer your question in another way, a good COO - depending on the company - can go for at least $350,000

DrS

7. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Roughly a 35-40 person company. The company is an online marketing firm as well, as, deals with the top search engine on the internet in many capacities and will be launching new online platforms in the very near future.

Job Description Not Limited Too:

-> Must be able to accurately and concisely communicate through written and verbal reporting as well as articulate suggestions for business execution and improvement of current operations

-> Assist with proposal preperation, marketing presentations, sales initiatives and affiliate/public relations efforts

-> Analyze various marketing aspects, which may include marketing conditions, product sales trends, market size, marketing practices, customer preferences, and sales operations

-> Assist with development and production of marketing materials and analysis of market trends related to the sale of products/services and research new business potential and develop new leads

These are a few of the descriptives.

8. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Totally understand the scenario. Very similar to the one I have been in in the past.

Also, had a friend that went into a top-tier consulting company right out of school in a business analyst role. He signed on at $72K with a $5K signing bonus.

New media typically pays more, but is FAR less stable.

Hope that helps.

Nick

9. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    How much does he want and what does he make now?

DrS

10. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    That is irrelevant. Just trying to see what the salary would be...

11. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Having previously worked at an internet startup focusing on financial recruiting. I'd say about ~$40k minimum. ~$55k max.

12. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    That is about in line with what I was thinking - anyone else? Thank you for your input.

13. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

Damn bro, you sound like you are getting mad. But either way, you are asking OUR OPINION and dont want to give us the info that we need to make an infomed one for you. This question is VASTLY different depending on company, revenue, product, and field. And what he wants to make is down right the most important factor!!!!! If he wants to make more than...say, $30,000, but the company can not afford to pay that, or does not want to, then this descussion is over before it starts. So, not knowing anything, here is what I pm'ed you;

DrS

14. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Thank you for your reply. Thinking about a performance based package is interesting.