328 battery disconnect | FerrariChat

328 battery disconnect

Discussion in '308/328' started by bill brooks, Nov 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    i know, i ought to be stoned or at the very least flogged for asking this question,
    but are there any pitfalls to leaving the car's battery disconnected when not
    being driven for long periods?
    resetting the clock doesn't bother me and i don't even know if the radio works.
    (i'd rather have a v-8).
    my old kraut cars were always disconnected for the winter.

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I take all my batteries out of my cars for the winter storage including the 308, never had a problem.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No problems that I'm aware of. No ECUs, etc. I've had the battery out for a day before, when changing batteries, and just started her right up afterward.

4. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    When I lived in Maine, I always removed the battery when storing a car for the winter. Didn't have a heated garage so put the battery in the basement, up off the concrete floor. A couple of days on the trickle charger in the spring and good to go.

5. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I thought that disconnecting the battery isn't good..the ecu's on "newer"('80 & newer?).. have to reset..for fuel mixture..etc...?

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Not so for 308s, 328s, Mondials, & other cars using CIS mechanical fuel injection. The ignition ECUs just have static maps that adj. timing based on engine RPM & manifold pressure.

By the early 1990s the ECUs were controlling both injection & ignition & becams smart enough to fine tune timing & mixture. I think the 348 was the first Fcar with electronic injection. Possibly the F-40?

7. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    I thought it was not a good idea to not have the battery on some kind of charge cycle when not in use. If you are taking the battery out and keeping it hooked up to a charger then what's the point of removing it from the car? I use a small trickle charger that keeps the battery at optimum levels via the cigarette lighter.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Diconnecting batteries or removing batteries? Come on, this is 2007, we have microprocessor controlled battery tenders that can be left connected for extended periods, no problem. I was at Target over the weekend, and they now sell a Duracell 2 amp battery tender for $20! It includes three methods of attachment to the battery: Clamps, permanent little o-rings with a quick detach plug, or a cigarette lighter adapter. An amazing price for a microprocessor controlled "smart charger".

Here's the owner's manual for the Duracell maintainer. Interesting, it is licensed and made by some company called Xantrex
    http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/1930/docserve.asp

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I disconnect mine all the time, everytime I park my 308 in the garage
    I also think it's safer.

10. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    On the 328 you don't need to remove or disconnect the battery, there is a cut off switch which uses a plastic key. I use that whenever the car is in the garage and have never had any problems.

11. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    No problem at all but better to connect to a microprocessor controlled battery charger. Deterioration and aging damage will still occur to a battery that is disconnected but not charged for a long period of time.

By the way, the use of the word "kraut" may not be appreciated by everyone here. You've got an international audience. Something to think about.

12. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    There has been no need to worry about placing a car battery on a concrete floor for many decades now. It could be an issue in the old days when the battery cases were made from hard rubber with a high carbon content. The carbon acted as "partial" conductor and lead to faster than normal discharge (faster than the natural self discharge rate over time). Not an issue with the plastic battery cases that have been in use for many, many years.

13. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I forgot to add, after disconnecting it from the "Quick Disconnect" I then plug my Battery tender.

14. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just drive it and do not worry about the battery. That's want DID.

15. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh I do, in fact I drive it every week, it's just whenever I park it in the garage I always disconnect Battery the Battery tender:)

16. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    thanks for everyone's opinion. i live in pa and we had our first snow flurries today.
    not much opportunity to drive as winter sets in.
    i have never used a tender before and typically got 8-10 yrs. out of batteries.
    just checking what others do.

17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

8 to 10 years? Rare with a seldom used car. And rarer still with a modern luxury car with all the electrical doodads and accessories. I just replace at around 5 years, even though I use a battery tender whenever either of my cars sit for more than a few days. Worth it for the confidance that the car will start everytime. Batteries are cheap in the grand scheme of car maintenance.

18. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Where is this plastic key and cut off switch on a 328? I see the big connector but no key?

19. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    Deltran battery maintainer...only way to go

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have never seen or heard of this plastic key and cut off switch on a 328. I am almost certain that was an aftermarket add on. My 78 308 GTS had a metal race type cut off switch installed in the front trunk, but it was installed by a race shop. For the 328 (I had one of those too) you just pull the plug apart to disconnect the battery.

21. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I also have the disconnect key on my 328, an '89. It was factory fitted but may be a euro thing?
    If you open the front cover its on the drivers side down by the front headlight.

22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It is entirely possible it is something unique to the 1989 model year, or a Euro model only thing. I just looked on the Ferrari Owner's Site under the classic parts section and the wiring diagram, and no switch is shown. But that does not necessarily mean it does not exist, as you cannot always trust the information... ;)

I noticed Peajay has an 87 328 and he is in France, so maybe it is a Euro only thing.

23. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I believe it is a misunderstanding of words. We use plastic "plug", and they are using the word "key/switch" for the same red plastic disconnect under the front hood.

24. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    #24 h00kem, Nov 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nope. It's on every 328, just look at your manual. I too thought this was bunk until I found mine right up front on the driver side...if it isn't too dirty you will see a big red clip with a large flat braded ground coming off of it. This pulls apart and disconnects the ground from the car. My car is an 86. The disconnect was on every year of the 328...

I don't have a pic of the one on my 328 but it looks just like the one in this picture (forget the circled area...the pic is from another thread on another subject)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That is what I can a "plug" and is exactly what was on my 328. Is this what they are calling a "key"? Maybe we (I?) are just confused by the descriptions?

Peajay called it a "switch with a plastic key". That is not what I see in your picture (which is what was in my 328 as well).