Wheres you car during the Winter | FerrariChat

Wheres you car during the Winter

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360CS, Nov 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #1 360CS, Nov 9, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ive looked at these Carcoons on the market, I think they are a good idea if your storage area is a mess..

Wandered what you guys use, I have an Interest as Garage Flooring falls into my everyday Criteria....

Spoke to lots of people regarding what does and doesnt cause humidity/condensation etc...warm vs Cold air meeting at differing surface areas..

Ideally you need a storage area with impervious sufaces such as the Carcoon uses, Poly sheet with high air movement .

I find that garages with a good wall coating and impervious flooring hardly suffers from condensation or humidity, however you must have a low to medium volume air humidifier running to draw moisture and increase the flow of air within the storage area.

Bored yet....??? Its a problem I wandered what all you do to overcome this??...or do you bother.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #2 360CS, Nov 9, 2003
  3. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #3 360CS, Nov 9, 2003
    Everything off walls and tanking finished. walls next then floor.

Two fcars live in here and an Aston Martin. swing a cat "I think not"

not bad at £750k pad tho

Sorry this is a bit off topic but will install shots finished with Cars in place shortly....

4. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My garage is a little more conventional, Brick & tile construction, attached to the house with a substantial concrete floor.

The walls have been treated with a silcone based spray and painted with normal white vinyl slik emulsion. Most gaps and drafts have been sealed and the door has draft excluder fitted.

I have a Mitsubishi De-humidifier running all the time and it extracts around 10 litres of moisture every 2-3 days depending on the weather.

Temperature remains around 4 - 6 degrees above ambient in Winter and about 8 - 12 degrees cooler in the Summer.

My F cars do just fine in this environment, Both have sateen covers, and I find it's a bit of a myth about damp air getting trapped between cover and car, I've never had a problem - and this way the entire garage remains a dry, controlled area rather than just what's inside the Carcoon, Good item's but a bit of an expensive overkill.

Steve

5. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Steve,

Sounds good that silicone sealant is very effective we make something very similar, I have a F cover on my car and I have never seen any condo between my sheet and car, how much are those carcoons I remember someone mention £900.00- £1,500.00.

Small tip save the water from the demidi, put it in yr iron or as I do wash the car, its really soft water and keeps the wife happy to.

ps.... Im not known to do much ironing...i must confess!!!

6. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    My garage sounds much like yours Steve. Its a large double, with a workshop area. I've sealed the floor and painted the walls with emulsion. The walls are cavity insulated and the two house boilers are in there so it stays reasonably warm.. about the same temp range as yours. I've recently bought a min/max thermometer to keep track of temperature. I have a dehumidifier which extracts about 5l per day.

The roofspace is open so I'm considering plaster boarding the ceiling to conserve heat and give the dehumidifier less to do. I also need to fit draught excluders to the doors.

I did consider the carcoon but don't really want to keep the car in a condom!

Steve

7. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve

8. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #8 360CS, Nov 11, 2003
    Steve you got PM from me regarding floors.

I made some tentitive enquiries, buy was unable to track the Co. down.

I like the Car in the garage I switch on the heater , radio and polish away until the missis give me my orders to come in.....(yeh right).

9. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Nice floor Joe. If I had a garage i'd give you a call.

Do you do driveways by any chance?!?!

:)

10. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Joe,

I've answered you PM, and here's the web link to the Carcoon website -

http://www.carcoon.co.uk/carcoons.asp

Tell me the Ferrari Badge in the photo - You just stuck that on, Right ? If you painted it, then you ought to give up your day job and become an automotive artist !

Speaking of which has anyone seen the work of Dexter Brown, He has done some great work, I have 2 prints and an original and I've just commissioned him to paint my cars !

ATB,

Steve

11. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Steve,

If id painted that id be in LA making mint, Its a Computer cut graphic, however sealed over with Aliphatic Coating for protection...

Pics on way...

Adnaan

Yes we also apply Driveway Systems...this is using Quartz aggregates , Colours are infinate...

12. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You need a Size 5 Carcoon for F cars.

Retail Price is £359 plus VAT & carriage.

They are easy to use,no more than a couple of minutes to put the car in or get the car out.The transformer also acts as a trickle charger.

I am a big fan of the Carcoon,but as well as being a user,my company is also a Carcoon dealer.
    If anyone has a questions about the Carcoon I would be more than happy to answer them.

Steve

13. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi All,

My wife and I have just moved into rental accommodation in St. Albans until we can find a house with a double garage that meets all our criteria. Consequently I have moved my car into a temperature and humidity controlled storage facility in Essex where it will spend the winter.

Damn - will only get my grubby hands on her again in 6 months time :( Can't wait to have my own garage and workshop again.

MARK

14. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Marky-mark,

My 328 is garaged down the road from you in Radlett, and I am planning on (dry) running it at least once a fortnight to a) keep everything running as it should, and b) for the sheer fun of it.

Delighted to have you as a passenger any time..will let you know when I am planning on a spin - weekends, weather depending are likely.

15. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    4got to say, welcome to the UK!

16. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Mark

Warm Welcome to the Uk, hahah lol, I went to Goodwood today with jrs and Berni two 355s , while there two 360 spiders arrived and a radical converted 308 with monster wheels on back was doing the track. only had stock engine tho...

If any you guys fancy rideout or know of any let me know, Im always up to take a passenger for the ride....

17. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    "Wheres your car during the Winter"

Its out of the garage getting ready for a quick spin while the sun is out!!!

A bit to cold to take the lid off though!!

Paul

18. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #18 360CS, Nov 16, 2003

Mine all tucked away today!!!

19. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #19 360CS, Nov 16, 2003
  20. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Joe

What did you paint the garage walls with ?

James

21. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

James

Thats a silicone based PVA paint we use at work, got my guys to match the colours from a dulux card...im pleased with the result..........

22. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #22 360CS, Nov 16, 2003

Sprayed the fist coat on as my blockwork was as hungry as hell, that fills the voids and stuff. Final coat was brush and rolled...

23. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Dear Mark & Joe,

Thanks for the warm welcome...and for the offers of passenger slots during the winter! I will be in touch :D

I have taken three months off between assignments to move to St. Albans and to do some touring in Europe. I am currently in South Africa getting some wonderful SUNSHINE, and flying as much as possible (doing a "motorglider" conversion). I fly to Prague on December 11 and Debs will join me there for a few days. So we should be back in the UK by about the 15th, and you guys are welcome to come and enjoy some BIG red wines among the boxes and moving debris in our new place!

Hey - when in the next Hertfordshire Ferrari meeting in St. Albans??

Cheers, MARK

24. paulnwgb

paulnwgb Karting

Sep 3, 2003
    Dunmow, Essex
    Full Name:
    Paul Gardner
    I'm having a bad time with my F-car. What I *should* have done is waited until the new house was ready, the garage was built and then bought the car. Not the other way around :( I won't have suitable storage at my home until Feb/March.

My car sits in a grubby warehouse overnight with no heating/(de)humidifcation (I didn't actually even think of that - can someone educate me as to the how's and why's of correct storage?).

In the daytime, it sits outside in the pouring rain. I haven't even polished it yet. I'm a bad man. But I'm ready to change my ways!

25. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Paul,

You bad man, you see my babe sleeps in humidified surrounds, washed a polished to a tee....then again im a real car nut and always have been and will be a fanatic..

Wash it polish it and store it , theres loads of storage places which dont charge an arm and leg.....