308 70 profile 14" tires | FerrariChat

308 70 profile 14" tires

Discussion in '308/328' started by teveo, Nov 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    #1 teveo, Nov 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My silver 78 has dried out Michelins with lots of thread, they are unconfortable and I need replacements.
    I did some surfing and found that Vredestein has a possible tire.

SPRINT CLASSIC 205/70 R14 95V, i see them at prices down around EURO 200/each, that is a healthy 25% (or more) off the price of Michelin.

Anyone with an opinion? Vredestein used to be a quality brand, I havent heard much about them lately.

http://www.vredestein.com/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wise3

wise3 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Ward Orndoff
    there's a thread on them in the Dino section (same size tire); as I recall, one owner recently got a set of 4 for under 800 USD and was happy with them....

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There's a good Fulda in the correct size that is available in some parts of Europe and has been successfully used on GT4's

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Not for nothing, but the tire in that picture looks flat. I hope that's not an indication of their quality. :)

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Just asking here but why is there a need to get a V rated tire? I see V rate is good to 149MPH but if you go with a lesser rated T or S you still have the ability to reach better then 120 - 140 at times. I just find it interesting that unless you are showing or tracking (and if you are you need to buy the OEM's from Cooker) there is no need to get a V rated tire. May be different in Norway as I only have driven there once and that was at normal highway speeds. I assume you have your reasons but I was just asking. I use 225-60-14's S rated and the last time I hit triple digits on my car was back in 1965. Enjoy

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    V rated is OEM

Goodyear is sending me a set of Fuldas to try....I have a picture but it won't post.

Goodyear owns Fulda and these are supposed to be DOT stamped for USA...

The Dino, 275GTB, and our early 308s need them. If we can get to critical mass with Goodyear they will set up retail in US on them....

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The aspect ratio on a 60 series is not correct, I had Goodyear Racing check that out.......

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry I mispoke I am getting the Fulda Assuro...It's a meaty gatorback tread, look at that one,

9. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    Had the Fuldas on my '79 308 for almost 10 years--they are ok, but when I put the XWX's on, I wondered why I had waited so long to do the right thing! I know the XWX's are stupid expensive now, so I'm keeping my old 14" w/XWX's "just in case". I finally went with the repro 16" wheels and Yokohama's and now I again wonder why I waited so long to upgrade. They COMPLETELY change the way the car handles (to the good) and the ride is still excellent. Best of all, with the ride height adjustment, the car looks modern and correct, without the huge gaps in the fender wells. Go figure!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I run 16" Etoile's and/or BBS's on the street, with 16" Goodyear F1 Eagle GSD3s........I am mounting the 14" Fuldas on my three sets of 14" wheels just for FCA Judging.....

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I am sponsored by Goodyear....so obviously the Coker Michelins are a non starter here..

12. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    I went with 205-70-14 Firestone Affinity H rated tires to replace Pirelli's that I couldn't find.

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I really think H would be fine, unless you go down to New Orleans with Franco.......;)

14. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    Vredestein has always been a good tire, in the early 80's I had them on my Bimmer, they were performance tires back then. I have a set in the front on my E-type, (havent gotten around to mount the conv top so they dont see any action)

I am split... go for 16" repro and modern tires, or cough up almost 75% of the price for repro 16" & Tires for a new set of xwx or try out a set of cheaper 70 profiles.. like the Vredestein. ( .. made in Holland )

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Real 16" QV wheels are better alloy, but the wider rear is really not 'correct' for the older 308s.....a hard decision to be sure!

My 16" Goodyear GSD3s are actually made in Germany...LOL!

16. UK-GT4

UK-GT4 Rookie

Oct 31, 2007
    Hersham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    In the UK, there is Falken tyre of the right spec @ approx £44 = $88 - amazing value really! Might be available in Norway. Never used Falken, so can't advise

17. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm leaning towards the Vredestein. I drive my car often and in a spirited manner. I would be more wary of driving that way if my car was shod with megadollar XWX. I look forward to taking my car to track events so I feel a V rated tire is the way to go. I'm very interested in driving impressions with the Vredestein tires.

18. Watry

Watry Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Berkeley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew Watry
    I have Vredestein 80 series 165-14 on my Alfa Giulia Super and will say they are the best all-around tires I've ever had. No super-high performance, but stick a lot better than you'd expect such a skinny tire to.

My GT4 had 205/70-14 Bridgestones that were very slippery. XWXs are nice, and appropriate, but very pricey from Coker nowadays.

Andrew

19. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Michelin now makes a 205/70/14 - tire name is Harmony - with the lower speed rating - only good for 118mph - good enough for me at $120 each.

20. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    I know what you mean!!!!!

21. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    My rears are getting low due to my last trackday at Brands Hatch, but I've heard Fulda have stopped making the 205/14/70 tyre!!! How much better is the 16" option, where did you get them from and how much were the 16" tyres please?
    Matt. Not heard of these, can you let me have details please.

22. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
  23. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    The Fulda Carat Assuro 205/70 R14 95V is also available, V rated but the tests I found on the net show they are a little middle on the tree ("3.3 of 5" or "3 out of 5 stars"..) .. from 90 euro... there is also a H rated from 70 euro..

24. UK-GT4

UK-GT4 Rookie

Oct 31, 2007
    Hersham, Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thanks, teveo, saved me hunting for the link again!

25. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard