309 Mile trip | FerrariChat

309 Mile trip

Discussion in '348/355' started by rivee, Nov 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Went to a town here in Northern California called Redding last weekend with my companion Golden Retriever as my passenger. It's 309 miles from my driveway in Monterey CA. to the city limits of Redding, CA. I left Friday morning to see my awesome niece, Lynette, there with her boyfriend Dan. Had a great time with them and then headed back home.

I was in the spirited mode on the return trip, and my 348 was having fits about going too slow on the way up, so I let her have her way and attempted a new land speed record (not really). I made it back home in 3 hrs and 11 minutes after deducting time spent for the doggy dooty break of 15 minutes at a rest stop and 26 minutes to eat. That's an average of 97.08 mph with some medium to light traffic in some areas. The car never missed a beet there or on the return trip.

I had the top off to look for CHP aircraft, cranked up the volume on the "Boston" CD in the stereo, and had the Valentine 1 at full volume. One stretch of interstate called I-505 (about 40 miles) I averaged 132 MPH and was hitting speeds of 140+. At that speed things get sucked out of your car like a vacuum cleaner, like a favorite CD I had. It was like a clay pigeon being shot from a thrower out the back. I know some of you think it's stupid to go that fast, and you may be right, but the conditions were perfect on that stretch of highway with virtually no traffic and a very smooth surface, my tires were in good shape, and unless you have ever traveled anywhere at or close to that speed average, don't even.

I tell you, I haven't been that exhilarated driving or that attentive of the road in awhile. Speed has a peculiar way of making you pay close attention to things.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    And if the Police read that they will prosecute (at least here in the UK)

You have effectively signed a confession

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    No.

All he has to add is the following line ...

" .... And then I woke up!"

4. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    They'll come here to Fchat and bust me for speeding?

Get real dude.

So I lie a lot.

5. Stbernard

Stbernard Karting

Mar 29, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Hehehe +1

I can't believe they can do that in UK. LOL

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

You forgot the part about you and your pooch sharing some hooch!!

7. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Yep, your busted for sure.... "John" in CA driving a red Ferrari. I mean, how few of you could there be? ;)

Run and hide....

8. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    If you don't mind me asking, which type of 348 do you have?

9. hot horse

hot horse Rookie

Nov 7, 2007
    California
    Full Name:
    Me
    John I think that's cool. As long as it was worth it to you if you ended up with a ticket, you might as well take a little risk. what's life with out excitment anyway.

10. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a 91 348TS, and it's as fun as it gets.

11. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    E G G Z A C T L Y.

You go through your whole life following all the rules, being Mr. Law Abiding Citizen.

But at what expense? Never taking a chance in life? Always wondering what it would be like to go as fast as you can handle an exotic automobile? The rush that speed can give you and never knowing it? And finally the rush of driving your very own Ferrari at 140mph+ on an open road?

Not me, Mr. Safe Guy. Sure I ran the risk of getting thrown in jail for exhibition of speed, but to me, the risk was definitely worth it.

Unless you've walked in these shoes, don't bother replying because you'll never take that chance to know what it's like having people in other vehicles (except the smokies) give you the thumbs up while you're hitting the afterburners as you flash by them going almost twice their speed.

12. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    all I know is, unless you're talkin' motorcycle cops, there aren't too many police cruisers that can keep up with the 348, except maybe one of those suped-up cop Camaros or the new Mustangs, but even then, aerodynamics at triple-digit speed becomes a HUGE factor. Good luck, and remember, a video camera only shoots so many frames per second, and thats IF you have your plates on. Watch out for the choppers, tho. No outrunning those bad boys!

13. hot horse

hot horse Rookie

Nov 7, 2007
    California
    Full Name:
    Me
    It seems now a days everyone is afraid to take a risk, and the ones that do get Criticized for it. I Believe that you only live once and if it's something that may be hazardous to your health or to your pocket book, yet important to you to try, then screw what other people think. I know i shouldn't get John started on politics, but, the government has everyone buy the private parts, scared to do anything that's a little fun (as long as your not putting anyone else in danger) even if it mean breaking the law slightly. Hell for fun i drive with out a seatbelt! (Joking) Being a woman I have been Criticized for doing things competitively that a woman shouldn't do, I really don't care the adrenaline rush is worth it to me, who are they to judge any way.

14. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I think I'm in love with hot horse.

Hey Hot Horse, Whatcha doin tonite or any other nite?

15. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    BTW hot horse, welcome to Fchat. Where u from?

16. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    No more than 8 hours and 59 minutes away from you at your rate of speed

17. hot horse

hot horse Rookie

Nov 7, 2007
    California
    Full Name:
    Me
    Sorry guys already with a wonderful man thats seems to understand me, but i'm sure i can find a wonderful woman for you John, I have lots of friends that have the same views as i do.

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I can't believe he would attempt to start up with a woman after the recent events. Driving fast can be foolish, but what's the fun of acting responsible ALL the time? I know I've driven fast several times. It is fun.
    :)
    BT

19. hot horse

hot horse Rookie

Nov 7, 2007
    California
    Full Name:
    Me
    well he was just inquiring doesn't mean he's going to get married, there is no reason why he shouldn't shack up with a woman it will speed up the healing. Plus no offense but he is a man, and we all have needs.

20. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    :eek: wow....... you a r e cool!!! :)

21. hot horse

hot horse Rookie

Nov 7, 2007
    California
    Full Name: