What color red are Ferrari carpets from the 80's? | FerrariChat

What color red are Ferrari carpets from the 80's?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nathandarby67, Nov 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I am getting ready to replace the grungy brown carpet in my Mondial with red Wilton Wool carpet. My car has crema leather. I have seen several cars in pictures and a few in person with this combo, but I am having a hard time deciding which red from the GAHH website is the correct red Ferrari used with these cars. Of course, I am assuming there even is a "correct" red, it may have come in all different shades for all I know.

Anyhow, here are the three options from the GAHH website. Any guesses which one is correct?

1) http://www.gahh.com/sample/samplecolorsvsw/904w.htm

2) http://www.gahh.com/sample/samplecolorsvsw/602w.htm

3) http://www.gahh.com/sample/samplecolorsvsw/606w.htm

Also, I am torn between using red leather for the binding on the carpet edges as seems to be the case for the cars I have seen, or using contrasting binding in crema leather to match the seats. I have seen other kinds of cars with contrasting binding before and always thought it looked sharp. Any thoughts on this?

Nathan

2. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hi Nathan,

I have an '89 328 with red and crema interior. The car has 2,600 miles and is always garaged so the carpeting is certainly not faded by sunlight. Based on your sample pix, which of course are dependent on the lighting and camera set up that took the pix, but my carpets look closest to 602 Dark Red.

Here is a picture of my car in natural light just before dusk, look at the carpet near the passenger seat rake adjustment.
    [​IMG]

Here is the opposite side in the garage.
    [​IMG]

Best regards,
    Dino

P.S. I'd trim the carpet binding/border in red. I think in crema it will look more aftermarket but if you like it go for it.

3. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    602 for me also...

4. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I had a '75 GT4 with red carpets and would agree(looking at old photos) that 602 is the closest.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have a little chunk of the red from my Dino floating around in the garage.

PM me your addy, and I'll shoot it to you in the mail.

602 looks very close to me.

Might want to talk to www.worlduph.com too

Dave

6. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a 1987 Euro 328 and I would also say that 602 is very close.

7. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Whether you go GAHH or one of the other places, they will all send samples either free or for a nominal fee. Well worth it.

I'll be doing my Mondy with red but not in wool - the Mercedes finetuft is better lasting and much cheaper. Veteran Car Company in LA is where I'll be getting the stuff, but World Upholstery are also very well know and good.

I'd get a few samples from various places and pick the one that you like best. Remember too that the pictures really are useless when it comes to picking colors. I suppose that if you can find a local place and work with them it might help. A friend of mine redid the carpet in his Mondy t and found a local (to him) upholsterer who did the leather binding for a crazy low price, and the quality was amazing.

Be sure to post before, during and after pictures :)