308 has met it's maker | FerrariChat

308 has met it's maker

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraripilot, Nov 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Hello everyone,

I recently started a thread on the Maserati boards regarding the Ligier-Maserati engined JS2 which placed 8th at lemans in '74, and I believe won the tour de France that year. At Lemans, it was ahead of a Ferrari 312, a couple Daytona's, and a couple Porsche 911 RSR's. The owner of one of these ludicrously rare engines (only 2 or 3 made) happens to be a fellow fchatter, and graciously supplied a couple photos. The photos are being submitted with his permission, but he can be reached @ [email protected] for more information should anyone be so interested.

The engine powering the car was none other than a 90 degree 3.0L Maserati Merak V6 engine with 4 valves per cyl, fuel injection, and get ready, gear driven cams putting out an astronomical 400bhp at an even more astronomical 11,000RPM (the owner of the engine verified there is factory dyno documentation proving this claim). This is the first photographic evidence of a 4 valve Merak engine I know of.

The engine reportedly got very hot down Mulsanne, and Maserati blamed Ligier for not cooling it well enough, and Ligier blamed Maserati for it running too hot. When the Italians and French get together to cook, it is beautiful, but when they get together to make a car, it can be hit and miss. The engine in the photos below has only been bench-tested and to my knowledge is the only never-raced one in the world.

It is an incredible engine that most certainly would have brought its' game face with it at any rally event against any 308, Porsche, or any other 3.0l engine I can think of from that era.

Enjoy!
    John

PS. the link below is where the photos are..

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173205

2. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    #2 Ferraripilot, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    That would be worth buying a Merak (relatively cheap from what I understand, was on the Top Gear "Exotics on a budget" episode) and dropping that engine in it. WOW! 400 HP!!!

That Merak would scoooooooooot!

James in Denver

4. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    You caught onto my evil plan. The only issue is finding a transaxle that can handle that much power. The Citroen unit used in the Merak would never handle that much power. I am thinking the Lotus Esprit SE transaxle would hold up well. As for locating a Merak.... NO issue finding a beat Merak (unfortunately). I will just have to find one with no rust. Gut the it, widen the fenders, brakes, suspension, racecar interior, roll cage, wheels. That would make for one fast track car. Try to get it close to the racing Bora Maserati made, but was unfortunately never raced...

5. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    OH yeah. Just so I can say it again cause it feels good. 11,000RPM!!!!!!!

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    cool. i would put it in a Pantera body though.... :)

7. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    -11111111111111111!! lol shock, horror