Bee Jay's sound system with sub woofers | FerrariChat

Bee Jay's sound system with sub woofers

Discussion in '348/355' started by Bee Jay, Nov 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    #1 Bee Jay, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I love the sound of my tubi with gutted cats, but........hey, I'm from the East Side of San Antonio, after an hour or so of driving, I need some bass heavy old school or urban hip hop to listen to. The sound in my car sucked.
    Lookie at what I did this weekend.
    First I mocked up a sub box out of cardboard. Ugly huh? Then I had a co-workets kid build the box out of mdf. Still ugly. But it's gonna be covered. I covered it with foam and vinyl. My first time with vinyl. What a PITA. Upholsterers get mad respect and props from me. Then I installed the 6.5" woofers. I also replaced the Ferrari door speakers with new 6.5" two ways. The factory speaker's foam was disintegrating. Now I have tweeters in the vents, and in the doors. While in Vegas, I picked up this amp at Fry's. It's four way and was only $100. I bridged the B side for the woofers and used the A side for the door speakers. The car came with a very decent and very sophisticated programmable Alpine unit. I had to read a 1" thick manual to figure out how to operate it. It has three pre-outs including one for sub woofer amps.
    I'm done. The sound is incredible. It's amazing what a difference an amp, new speakers, and a sub-woofer box makes. I can listen to my tubi's or drown out the tubi's with clean, loud, powerful music. Drive it like I stole it thru the mountains, or just slow cruising the streets of Lompoc jamming to hip hop. I love this car.
    Bee Jay
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very cool Bee Jay!! :):)

I took my 348 for a drive today! MAN O MAN!! What a car!! :D:D

3. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    Neat installation, looks good

4. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    COOL! I'm working on the exact same thing! with a slightly different approach. Mine will have 2 subs, and 2 4x6'' 2-way's. The speaker flanges will be recessed, so no grilles... so I have to go with automotive grade carpet instead of vinyl. Its a slow process with my lack of free time... it'll be a while before its done.

5. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    I thought about putting some full range speakers in the box also, but the door speakers are more than enough to fill the cabin with the proper power behind them. Hey, here is some important info. The drivers interior side is wider than the passengers. That really freaked me out while designing the box.

6. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I like it!

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Nicely done. Enjoy it!
    BT

8. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Can you hear this setup at 170 MPH?

9. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    I dunno. Today is a holiday light, so I might be able to manage 100mph without a ticket. 100mph with the top off should be a good test. I'll get back to you after I get to work. Leaving now.
    Bee Jay

10. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Just replaced my stock stereo with a Alpine head unit and upgraded the stock speakers with JL Audio seperates---Had to cut a little metal away from the inside door as the JL's magnets were much bigger and they would not fit down in there.. they sound amazing thru the iPod hookup that I ran up to the center console... All looks stock but sounds killer!!!

11. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Fortunately, my Spider came with A/D/S speakers wired to an Alpine unit. It even had a Rockford amp (which I deleted since it weighed about 25 pounds!).

The sound is great, but with the top down at full speed I can barely hear the bass.

12. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    Aw man. I drove it into work. Not much traffic, but there was some. I only got up to 100mph. Fortunately the Ferrari can go from 65 to 100 and back to 65 between on ramps. Less chance for a ticket. But at 100mph, you get stereo, both the music and the tubi. You can hear and feel the bass. And singing backup, the tubi exhaust. The sound is fantastic. Not many at the office today, but I had the few out to the parking lot to hear the Ferrari sound system. The bass hits like a nightclub. We had a Veterans Day party out there, remembering the crazy dances we did back in the day to 70s old school and disco. Flashlight, Skintight, Slippery When It's Wet, Pick up the Pieces, and my favorite, Dazz by Brick. I got 300hp in the back, and 800watts in the front.
    Bee Jay

13. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I wish I could've been there - sounds like fun!

Should be your new signature :)

14. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Yeah, Baby!

15. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Bee Jay - love it! Great use of the extra space behind the seats; it is tough to find the room to put decent bass speakers into these cars and you have a creative solution.

16. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Good job, buddy! I could have used you for my 348 Spider that had a bass challenged sound system. Former owner had bazooka subs on the floor behind the seats, which was ok since he was short. Me, I needed the leg room, so out they went. Of course, I tossed out all the sound stuff in the 348SS since I deem it is more purposeful, than cruising listening to tunes. ;)

Which reminds me, I have a crap load of extra sound stuff lying around from this car. I don't even know what the hell it is. It needs a good home. PM me if you are slightest bit interested and I will get the specs. It was a high output system with all sorts of weird crap. Probably obsolete by now...

17. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    I don't turn nothing down but my collar, and I'm not wearing one today. Sure, send me info.
    Bee Jay

18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Ahhh man, why the boom box in the car ...... why ? why ? shut the radio off and listen to the tubi my man !! ROLMAO !

19. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    I do listen to my tubi, most of the time. But on a two or three hour trip, that gets old. Also, I discovered this morning, listening to some tunes does not preclude listining to the tubi. I can listen to music and my tubi. Best of two worlds. I've been looking into the cockpits of F430s recently, and they all have sound systems with woofers. Besides, I love music too.
    Bee Jay

20. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    So bee jay, how did you fasten the box down behind the seats and did you use grill covers?

21. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    I put the grill covers on this evening. The box is held down by gravity, and kept from moving forward by the seat backs.

22. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Great job BeeJay, Looks great!. I did the same thing to my 348 except aimed the speakers vertically. I also attached the speaker box with Velcro for added security. Being that the gas tank is right there I was told to avoid screws of any kind anywhere back or bottom. I guess some guys have screwed right into the tank. Maybe 'Copterjon' can grab a pic of the setup and post it here.

23. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    velcro on the bottom may add a little staying power... ;)

24. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Hmmm... not trying to rain on your parade, but in an accident, that box has the potential to exert several hundred, maybe as much as 1000 pounds of force on the seat backs.

Other than that, looks great!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

25. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Add some Daytona style straps to hold it down, or at least some industrial grade Velcro. :)