F360: my front fender is cracking... any clue ?? | FerrariChat

F360: my front fender is cracking... any clue ??

Discussion in '360/430' started by henkie, Nov 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    #1 henkie, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    That's your bumper, at least on this side of the pond, it's called a bumper.

Hitting the floor could probably cause damage like that

G

3. Rockyd

Rockyd Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    San Jose
    If you did not roll your fender and you lower it ; your fender will definitely crack .

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    My guess is that it has been the victim of a speed bump or hitting a curb on the front. See if you have any bad road rash on the underside of the bumper.

5. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    As Cig 1 mentioned that is his BUMPER and not the fender. Depending on how hard you're scraping on the driveways I would imagine that it could cause cracks like that. Do you scrape everytime you drive into or off your driveway? Did you accidentally hit the underside of the bumper hard recently? Maybe going over a dip in the road too quickly?

6. porsche racer

porsche racer Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    IMO Because it's on both sides and same area, it's by hitting the ground and bending the sides of the bumper inward.

7. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    Excuse me for the fender / bumper confusement.

Well, we have those terrible speedbumps here in Holland... so perhaps it could be the guilty part. I have some bad scraping spots....unfortunately.
    I think the bumper is attached to the body exactly at the spots (behind the bumper) ?

But.. (as there are lots of 360's around here)... nobody has ever seen this problem as I understand?

8. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Time for a CS bumper IMO....;)

9. India Whiskey Charlie

India Whiskey Charlie Formula Junior

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    FWIW, I had a 2000 360 which developed this problem on the front bumper very early on since new. No lowering and/or scraping. The local body shop fixed it to perfection under warranty. At about the same time, a friend who also had a new 360 had the same problem. I assumed it was a somewhat common problem with early 360's.

10. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    BONDO??? sorry bad joke

11. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I had the same problem on my '01 360, it was a pain and I think the best fix is to buy a new one.

12. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Bumper or car?

13. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    And by the looks of your tyre, you need a new one!

14. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
    It's not your fault, Henkie. These bumpers are not molded in one piece, rather they are multiple pieces glued together. In this area, the air vents curve inside the bumper, and this shape would be nearly impossible to mold efficiently - it's called an undercut. So, the bumper molder made 2 separate air vent pieces and glued them into corresponding holes in the main body of the bumper. If you look inside the bumper with all the shields off you can see this clearly. The outside is sanded and faired, then painted. Over time, with flexing and temperature changes, this seam opens up a little bit and the paint cracks along the seam.

There are some rather technical fixes that could solve this pretty much forever, but I bet if you just sand, fill, and fair the area, and repaint it, you'd get years more good service from the fix. There are fillers made for flexible parts like urethane bumpers, and also flex additives for paint. Using these might help keep the problem from reappearing.

15. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    u just answered your own question homie

16. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    New bumper. Mine was repaired twice and it was on the way to happen again and it was a lot of money to get fix on both incidents. The paint, the clear film, the trials to figure out how to prevent the problem, the time in the shop and then having to take it back after a few weeks... A real pain in the azz.
    The 360 bumper side air outlet was the problem just like the pictures above. If you take a look at the bumper from the inside you'll see that the bumper is built with a hole and the outlet is glued into this hole and that might create a problem on some 360s.

17. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    @Valence & other people
    Thanks for your kindly replies. The situation is clear for me. I'm gonna try with a complete repaint at the expert and if I'm lucky I won't see this problem again the first 2 years.

18. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Of course if Ferrari would put a front-end lift capability in their cars like Lambo does, this wouldn't be as big an issue. Having driven G-cars a few times, it's SO nice to hit the button and drive straight into a driveway or over the speed bump etc.

If they made this an option, I think most 430 owners would go for it, I sure would.

Frank

19. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    The problem with my car didn't have anything to do with the front bumper hitting on anything and that includes every scenario, it just happened.

20. OneofMillions

OneofMillions Karting

Nov 8, 2007
    Toronto, Ont
    Full Name:
    Christian L.
    #20 OneofMillions, Nov 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a similar problem in mine. I think it was caused when the cat bottomed out at the front, but this cracking only showed up much later (months) after that bump. Still not sure what's going on. 2001 360 spider, 5k miles
    Image Unavailable, Please Login