The Beatles and Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Beatles and Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TokyoF430, Nov 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I own them as well and haven't watched for a long time...the only McLaren footage I remember clearly was when George pulled up at Paul's estate, but then maybe I didn't see the entire set. My wife is the bigger Beatles fan and watched the whole thing. Worth another look for sure.

Another Ferrari incident was described in a Beatles biography, "The Love You Make", published late '86, author Peter Brown.
    George and Patti Boyd had gone to a party at some other rock king's estate and Patti wandered off with Clapton. The author recounts how George couldn't find her, then angrily jumped into his Ferrari and prowled the grounds. When he found his wife and Clapton wandering around, stoned out of their minds and clinging tightly to each other, he grabbed Patti, threw her into the car, and blasted off into the night at top speed. My assumption is that the Ferrari was the GTB.

2. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    George Harrison
    Any Road

Here it is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8zQ0ZNn8VU
    just look at the 2:38 mark
    He's driving a Mc Laren F1

3. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    Harrison's Dino was 06598 and he was the 3rd owner

4. vroomgt

vroomgt Formula 3

Aug 23, 2004
    Brisbane Australia
    Full Name:
    John ARBA
    #29 vroomgt, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Martin,

Thanks so much for that link!

I feel very, very old all of a sudden.

*moment of silence*

Rest in Peace, George......the 'quiet' Beatle.

Thanks also to El Wayne and others, it does sound like the Clapton lead, with overdub effects, was the one used on "........Gently Weeps"

6. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    Sorry, John,

nothing in my db associating George with a 275. John only beyond those already discussed with a 330 GT 2+2, s/n 6781.

7. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Sorry, I horrendously mis-stated year and model. What would a 330 gt 2+2 have gone for new in US$?

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    fou,

Chinetti listed them at $14,500.

Regards,

Art S.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They played "While My Guitar..." this AM during drive time..........listening closely, I'll go with Slowhand on the style, with a Lennon/McCarty overdub tremolo..........that's definately how it sounded to me. Studio 'magic' fo' sure!

But I'm a drummer! ROTFLMAO!

10. sepp forcher

sepp forcher Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    1. isn't this pauls lambo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPgEoBlNuqM 1:24
    2. george bought a jaguar e-type with his first money
    3. they all had pullman mercs (there was a video on youtube), except mccartney,
    4. mccartney is driving a bentley convertible with in a wingsvideo
    5. before the session of fine line, you see mccartney driving a corvette
    6 harrison owned a 911 turbo (930)
    7. Ringo and George had Merc S-Class
    8. In the Anthology book they describe how john and paul in the rolls were chasing george in his ferrari. John was screaming through the microphone of his rolls
    9. Also in the book: john couldn't see very well without his glasses. he was also a bad driver. when he test-drove his ferrari, a bird was flying against the front window and john immediately pulled his hands from the steering wheel, nearly producing a crash...
    10. george joking that his merc isn't a honda http://youtube.com/watch?v=8q7Z6VzSjuI
    11. ringo also sings in one of his songs in one line about a porsche...video is on a runway on an airport...don't know the name

beatles while driving: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6vAqekT-GuA and http://youtube.com/watch?v=svFqdigfmDc

so far my beatle car knowledge

11. TokyoF430

TokyoF430 Karting

Feb 9, 2007
    Great posts guys, some cool information. I got an interesting bit of info from George's biography. Apparently, Brian Epstein set up a car dealership in a place called Houslow, West London for the stars. Apparently, it was kind of on the way home and the Beatles, Stones and all the other big acts shopped there.

Also read in another article John bought four cars in one hit! Including it stated a GREEN Ferrari...A Yellow Porsche for his wife but he thought it too fast for her....Off topic but I just love The Beatles, I love music but I really still love their music more than anyone else. The link of Don't Let Me Down that someone posted - thanks, what a great song!

The first big expenditure for me was buying a Rickenbacker guitar when I was 16. I saved money from 3 years of paper rounds to buy it. I played that geetar till my fingers bled! It cost enough to get me driving lessons and a cheap second hand car but I went with the guitar despite my dad telling me that I would have to take the train to university if I couldn't drive!!

Anyways, that guitar is being held by the John Lennon figure at Madame Taussads in London! Sorry to go off topic!

12. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    No worries about the off-topic. Great post! :)

13. TokyoF430

TokyoF430 Karting

Feb 9, 2007
    Great posts guys, some cool information. I got an interesting bit of info from George's biography. Apparently, Brian Epstein set up a car dealership in a place called Houslow, West London for the stars. Apparently, it was kind of on the way home and the Beatles, Stones and all the other big acts shopped there.

Also read in another article John bought four cars in one hit! Including it stated a GREEN Ferrari...A Yellow Porsche for his wife but he thought it too fast for her....Off topic but I just love The Beatles, I love music but I really still love their music more than anyone else. The link of Don't Let Me Down that someone posted - thanks, what a great song!

The first big expenditure for me was buying a Rickenbacker guitar when I was 16. I saved money from 3 years of paper rounds to buy it. I played that geetar till my fingers bled! It cost enough to get me driving lessons and a cheap second hand car but I went with the guitar despite my dad telling me that I would have to take the train to university if I couldn't drive!!

Anyways, that guitar is being held by the John Lennon figure at Madame Taussads in London! Sorry to go off topic!

14. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Great post again! :D:D

15. TokyoF430

TokyoF430 Karting

Feb 9, 2007
    Whoops - sorry - not too computer literate

16. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Great video!

Ca. 1970-75, I'd guess.

In real life, the Miura would suck the headlights out of the CA Spyder.

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  18. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Probably used the car as a camera car for some shots so took the seat out to fit the camera. Yale

19. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Gotta love the Italian scenery, even down to the Alfa Romeo Berlina 4 door sedan cruising past as part of the traffic as the police are on the scene at the end of the video!

John

20. jobpatto

jobpatto Rookie

Jan 6, 2008

I don't know the exact exchange rate but for what it is worth, my great uncle ordered bought a new left-hand drive 1969 Aston Martin DBS for $12,700 US in England and had it shipped to the US. At the time, they were selling for $15K US if purchased from a US dealer.

My apologizes for bringing up Aston Martin on a Ferrari site but I found you all by looking for the picture of the three remaining Beatles getting out of George Harrison's McLaren F1. I saw info about DB5's and DB6's had to throw my two cents in.

21. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    John Lennon owned a Mini, Alfa 2600 , Rolls Royce and purchased a Iso s/4 Fidia off the floor at the Earl Court show. He may have owned a Iso Grifo for a short period too. If you watch video of the magical mystery tour you will see the Iso Grifo.

22. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Harrison drove a Mini while they were recording "Sgt. Pepper". Not sure if it was borrowed from Lennon if he owned one too.

Clapton taught Harrison the solo he did on "Weeps" but they liked Clapton's version better so that's what's on the album. There are at least 30 takes of that song (it was written in the studio as was their habit) and I'm sure there's a version somewhere with Harrison's solo. I've never heard it though.

Ken

23. adonai87

adonai87 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Tenerife,Alicante
    Full Name:
    Adonai
  24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #50 rdefabri, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
    Little bit of a thread jack - I am a Beatles fan, but an even bigger Beach Boys fan.

Dennis and Brian Wilson both owned Ferraris. In this video for "Little Honda" (this is the alternate mix, not the single release), you can see an E-Type and I think a Lusso?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqr5U78-e1w