MRI side effects and/or sensations felt during one? | FerrariChat

MRI side effects and/or sensations felt during one?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Wade, Nov 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The doctor sent me out for a MRI (open) and I had to terminate about halfway through. At first everything seemed ok and even started equating the noise to some really cheap techno music. But then I started feeling pressure and heat increasing in my head with the heat radiating down my arms. Soon it became too unbearable so I called off the session. The tech asked again if I had any metals in my eyes or head and I know of none. The previous x-rays didn't reveal anything unusual and today I'm scheduled for another go around. I've since read up on it and the common cause for some was anxiety or panic but that didn't seem like the case here. I'm pretty familiar with the "fight or flight" symptoms and none of those were present.

I'd love to hear some responses from those who've had a open MRI.

Thanks in advance.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's been years since I had an MRI/CT Scans, but I don't remember experencing your same symptoms. I do remember feeling slightly tingly after a while. The thing that bothers me the most is I have to remain still. It's almost impossible.

I had lots of ear problems growing up so I've seen the inside of those things a good handful of times. The most recent was back in 2000/2001.

3. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I fell asleep during my closed MRI. They said it was the first time they've ever seen it happen. *shrug* Funny too, case I get car and sea sick easily and for some reason I thought this would equate to problems during my MRI.

4. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    Did they use contrast? I'm guessing they did. The warming sensation is often a side effect of using a contrast - it's totally normal, but can be discomforting. Perhaps expecting it (I'm surprised they didn't warn you) may make you more comfortable and able to complete the scan.

5. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB

I fall asleep too, that is untill the damned thing makes one of its bang-bang-bang-clunk-click-click noises and scares the hell out of me. Then, of course, I get scolded by the operator for moving! =-)

My wife used to need to be sedated for her yearly MRI, but has learned a ways of coping with it and now has them sans meds.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

6. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

You were actually about to spontaneously combust. Whew! Glad you got out of there safely!

RMX

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Cool! I get to do it again in about an hour ;)

No contrast or any other additives used but maybe I should stop by the bar on the way up :)

8. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    Hmm, if there wasn't any contrast then I would have to agree with RMX - you were about to blow up. Self medicate on the way there.

9. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    No problem here neither when I had mine. But as mentioned above it was a bit of a b!tch to remain still.

10. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    The things are tight too. I have to put one arm over my chest kind of to fit into one. I don't like being in one but I was fine with it. I never felt any heat. Good luck today with the next session. I hope it goes well.

11. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    My wife just had one done 2 days ago, no problems or side effects.

12. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    QFT. I have had 2 and I'm not a big guy 5'9" 175lbs and it was cramped I don't see how anyone with a 48in+ chest would fit in there. I also had no problems or feelings of pressure or heat. Just gets annoying listening to the damn bang,bang,banging and other assorted sounds that thing makes.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I had 2 in May.

No problems

14. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The magnetic pull of an MRI scanner is 30,000 times more powerful than the earth's magnetic field, and the patient in the scanner is at the center of that magnetic field. What this means is that the scanner exerts enormous magnetic force on any iron-containing metal in or on the patient, or in the room where the scan is taking place.

Metallic objects in the body, such as pacemakers, surgical wire and aneurism clips, can be dislodged or caused to malfunction. Metal outside the body can also heat during an MRI scan, and cause severe burns to the surrounding area. It's been reported that jewelry, electrode leads and foil-backed drug patches have caused serious burns to patients. Even metal fragments in tattoo ink, permanent eyeliner or cosmetics can cause burns.

In 2001, a 6-year-old boy undergoing an MRI died after the magnetic force field suddenly sucked a steel oxygen tank out of the hands of a doctor in the room. The tank, about the size of a fire extinguisher, was whipped into the patient chamber it at a velocity of 20 to 30 feet per second. The boy suffered a skull fracture and brain hemorrhage, and died two days later.

The lesson here is that anyone undergoing an MRI must be acutely aware of any metal whatsoever in or about his person before entering the scanner.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I completed the second one yesterday and it wasn't nearly as bad; almost fell asleep a few times (earplugs helped). There was some heat but no head pressure. I did have this weird all over sensation like a bad case of static cling and some twitching which kept me from sleeping.

"During the MRI scan, patients may experience peripheral nerve stimulation, usually experienced as a muscle twitch. It is caused by rapid switching of magnetic fields and is not serious."

Exactly!

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    ^^So if you have had your cavities filled, you're screwed?

17. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I don't have time to look it up right now but I'm pretty sure it is only a problem with certain metals (iron, cobalt, nickel if I were to guess) which aren't a big part of fillings. The reason tattoos are a problem is the ink contain iron (oxides?) if I remember correctly.

18. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Fillings or anything metal put in surgically in the back or legs arms are generally ok. Patients ask us all the time about hardware that was put into their spine or if they have artificial joints and if they're fine. There are exceptions especially with any aneurysm clips. Pacemakers or defibrillators are definite no-nos. I really don't want to be the last person that our patient ever sees.

Jewelry comes off unless it's solid gold. So wedding bands are usually fine. It's funny when people have piercings in "certain places," and you tell them they gotta take them out or it might be taken out for them.

I don't know really what would be the cause of the warmth. Ordinarily that points to some sort of metal fragments in your skin or body. Vets that received shrapnel wounds will sometimes be bothered by it. I had a guy in the other day that had a small BB like object in his hand and tried doing the scan anyway. It caused him enough discomfort for him to stop the scan.

19. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Do other scanning options exist for those who cannot undergo an MRI? I've always been curious, what do MRI's show that CT Scans can't, or vice versa?

20. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    There is a mechanism for peripheral nerve stimulation to occur during MRI exams. MRI uses small rapidly changing magnetic fields to form the pictures, in conjunction with a very huge static magnetic field. Changing fields -> induced currents -> exceed nerve stimulation threshold.

Typically this only occurs in very high-performance systems, when taking pictures using certain newer/faster methods. It would be very unlikely in an open MRI (as you described) since they are generally lower performing.

However, you may be particularly sensitive to it. Many things affect how it can happen so the exam procedures can be changed to avoid it - even things as simple as how you are positioned in the magnet. Perhaps that is why you had less problem the second round.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That's what I was thinking, too. I would've guessed fillings aren't magnetic. That sucks to hear about tattoos, ouch!

22. MWHC4S

MWHC4S Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Most of the above is true. However, it is not uncommon to have a small (although detectable) increase in body temperature during a MRI.
    This increase is usually less than 1 degree and tolerated by most patients. It also tends to happen in larger patients. MRI technicians are instructed to be aware of febrile patients (i.e. patients with a fever) as they may not be as tolerant of this potential temperature increase.