Which Ferrari grew on you? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which Ferrari grew on you?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PrettyBoy, Nov 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There were aspects of the Enzo that I wasn't crazy about, but now I love it.
    The 512BBi took a while to grow on me.
    There are a few that still haven't grown on me.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Agree completely re F40 & F50 - only in the past couple of years have I begun to desire an F40 - as for the Enzo though a McLaren remains infinitely more desirable as a modern super-car for roughly the same money

3. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    612 Scaglietti. First I thought they were really bulky and uninspiring, about two years later I loved it. I am sure that many negative initial reactions to a new design are because of the first official photos which are, at least in Ferraris case, not that great most of the time.

4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Not exactly what you meant, but my 328 seems to have gotten bigger inside. ;) It seemed pretty cramped when I first bought it, but now it's very comfortable.

And vice versa.

I'm not a fan of the 550's styling, but the "go" bits make up for it. A car to drive, not to look at.

The 246GTS Dino is possibly the prettiest street car ever made. But mechanically, it's not Ferrari's best ever. (It ain't too shabby, just not twice as good as the 3x8s that cost half as much. But it *is* pretty.)

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#30 dm_n_stuff, Nov 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not "possibly", it is! Of course, I may be biased. :D

Mechanically, it's better than any other 70's car I've owned. Quick, light, nimble as all get out, and once sorted, doesn't require gobs of expensive maintenance, at least not any more than other 35 year old cars I've had some experience with.

Yes, it costs 3-4X what a 308 costs to buy, but surely not 3-4X to maintain. And some of the stuff is pretty easy to fix. Well, ok, maybe easy is a stretch.

Another Ferrari that's growing on me is the 330GT 2+2 four headlight model. For some reason on that car, it just seems to work. I still would prefer a two headlight model, I think, but the 4 looks different and interesting on the car.

DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Enzo and I still don't like it much if at all.

7. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The Daytona 365 GTB/4. When it first arrived it had those funny glass covers on the headlights. Also it wasn't an exotic looking mid-engined car. The Miura mid-engined car was over at Lamborghini at that time. Then the Fly Yellow Daytona Spyder arrived and the Daytona gained new life with the roof cut off but it still had those funny glass covers on the headlights!
    CH

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  10. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'm surprised nobody else would list the Testarossa. I thought it was an abysmal step backwards in design/styling when it first appeared (compared to the flowing lines of the 308/328 or Boxers). The original TR has really grown on me & greatly prefer its looks to the 512 tr & 512 M...

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Wow, I'm surprised it took time for so many to like the F40.

For me it's the 512BB. Never really even payed much attention before, now I think it's beautiful.

12. pininfarina

pininfarina Rookie

Nov 10, 2007
    East Lansing, MI.
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I loathed the styling of the 612 when it first came out, but I adore it now, especially in Blu Mirabeau.

13. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    599, I know, I know, call me weird. I hated the back end, "only one light per side?!" But then I, 1.) heard it 2.) saw it in person 3.) sat in it. Now it's my favorite of the current line up!

14. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    ++.

Saw one in the metal for the first time at the Boardwalk show this past spring, and it really is all of that.

But of course, I kind of still would not mind having a Mondial Cab...

15. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    512bb. I think it was the huge wheel arch gaps. Had that suv look! But lowered it takes on a whole new style, in my eyes.
    F50 took a while until I saw a black one.

16. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I guess after you drive it, it will grow on you... :)

Best,
    Jon

17. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I hated the 612 - it was huge. When I first saw it, and touched it, and sat in it, I fell in love!

Best,
    Jon

18. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    360 for me. First time I saw it, I didn't like the styling (too round). When I bought my 355 spider, I kept telling myself that the 355 is prettier. The last few weeks, I have had my 355 at the dealership for some service. I have noticed that I keep looking at the 360 modenas more and more. And I keep licking them more and more. Maybe its wanting what you don't have.

Theo

19. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    For me it was the 612. Think they look great in the two-tone paint schemes, like on the 60th anniversary cars.

20. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    "Magnum" 308GTS. Never liked it. Then I bought one.

21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Same thing happened to me with the 575 SuperAmerica. When it first came out at Pebble Beach I thought what's the big deal. Thought the roof was too funky. Now I look at it and am surprised it's resale is not higher. Awesome car. Really. Much better than the 550 Barchetta (and I love the Barchetta but not as much.)

The looks of the 360 shocked me when it first came out. After a couple of years I had to have one. Love it. Now the 430 bothers me. Lines are not as clean. Funky design details. Will I come around? Stay tuned (been on the waiting list since before we knew the details of the car).

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I actually liked it less after seeing it, and it's my third favorite of the current lineup. But, it's new, so who knows - maybe it will take some time to grow on me.

I agree with you on the F512M. The wheels look like the designer was trying too hard, and the tail lights are puny. But mostly I think it was already a dated design by 1995.

The dealbreaker on the original TR is that the wheels look tiny. IMO, the 512TR wheels vastly improved the car, and at one point I thought of buying one in black/tan, but in general my enthusiasm for the TR series has waned over time. I'd agree with Sheehan that the design looks dated now, whereas the Boxer has a better shot at 'timeless'. Of course a Jag XK 150 also looks dated, so there's a nostalgia thing to it, if that floats your boat.

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Probably the best two-tone color scheme I've seen in ages. I was pleasantly stunned at how nice it looked.

24. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  25. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Every Ferrari since the 360 (except the 599) I have hated until the next one came out. Until the 430 came out I hated the 360 now I love it, I hated the 456 until the 612 and so on.