Removing the crankshaft damper/pulley assembly | FerrariChat

Removing the crankshaft damper/pulley assembly

Discussion in '308/328' started by dennis_maine, Nov 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    I have an '81 Mondial. How can I remove the bolt holding the crank damper/pulley assembly on? An impact wrench has no effect, and I can't figure out a way to keep the engine from turning in order to use a breaker bar.

2. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    You will need a IR Titanium Quiet 1/2 Impact driver, and 150 lb air.
    ,, 1000+ ft/lb !!@!!!
    or, something eq.

I have the same problem.

3. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    OK, thanks. I'll try to coax my compressor up to 150 lbs, if only for a minute.

4. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Although it wasn't on a Ferrari, I used a large strap wrench (24 inch handle) wrapped around the harmonic balancer while a friend loosens the bolt.

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    5th gear plus parking brake=engine locked. Assuming your parking brake works!

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    You'll have a lot better luck with an impact wrench than a breaker bar, even with a 3' pipe on it.

But, There are impact wrenches & there are so-called impact wrenches. A lot of the so called 1/2" drive impact wrenches only have 90 to maybe 200 ft-lbs of reverse torque, even tho they're also labled 'heavy duty', 'professional', etc. That makes them a handy thing to grab & throw when your'e frustrated. That & paper weights are about all they're good for.

Any impact wrench rated for 450 ft-lb reverse torque at 90 psi should easily do the job. Expect to spend $140 or so for this class of wrench. Once you've got a good one, it'll last forever.

Classic example is the IR-231 that's been around for 30+ years. Odds on if you walk into any shop in the world they'll have one. I've got an IR231C that I've had for 20 years, it's taken out many a 3x8 damper bolt. Every few years they improve the design & bump the last letter.

You shouldn't need the IR Titanium quiet @150 psi, altho spec'd at 700 ft-lb @90 psi, with 60 psi overpressure that'll certainly do the job & then some.

I 2nd Birdman's 5th gear suggestion. If your parking brake is weak, put a couple of big C clamps on each side of it. Make sure you've got all the slack out of the drive train so the crank really can't move.

7. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would caution against this on almost any car, and especially the 308, as the outside part of the balancer is rubber mounted to the center hub. If you were to hold the outer part with a strap wrench while exerting torque on the hub, you could tear the rubber and damage the balancer. A better way IMHO is a helper holding the flywheel with a large screwdriver blocking the gear teeth of the flywheel. Held carefully you should be able to break the bolt loose. Also make sure your turning it the right way and not tightening, its standard thread so you turn it off counter clockwise. The best is the big impact wrench, as long as some jerk didnt torque it on so tight you cant get it with one. Also, a few sharp wraps against the bolt head with a heavy drift and hammer can help break it loose.

8. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    I had the same problem. I sprayed KROIL on the bolt and let it sit overnight. That was enough to allow the air impact gun to remove the bolt.

9. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    I used liquid wrench, jacked the air pressure to 125 psi, and after about 15 minutes, the bolt broke free. Thanks to all who replyed.