Question on Dealer!!! | FerrariChat

Question on Dealer!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FandLcars, Nov 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Hi - I'm thinking of looking at a 355 at Bentley of San Francisco. This dealership also advertises themselves as a Lotus and Lambo dealership. They will only allow a PPI at their dealership.

Any experience with this dealership, especially as regards service on exotics? (Sorry, I'm posting this on several areas on Fchat to get quick feedback).

Thanks!

Rick

2. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Speaking as a totally uninformed type, this is also a concern I've had. Just seems suspicious to me.
    [/grain of salt]

3. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Thanks - I asked them if they have a Ferrari SD3 (or aftermarket SD5) electronic tester, and haven't heard back. If they don't have one or have access to one, I'm not going to pursue further.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

The objective of a PPI is to obtain an "independant" appraisal of condition.

That is not the scenario you describe. I would not buy the car. There is absolutely no "valid" excuse for this IMHO.

5. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Thanks for the responses. It's always important to get a PPI done to determine any trouble codes or obvious problems needing service, such as valve guides.

I've never dealt directly with a Ferrari dealer, but I would expect most F dealers would expect to do their own PPI for a customer. In principle, I wouldn't have a problem with a reputable dealer doing their own PPI, provided they have the equipment. So that's why I was asking if anyone was familiar with BofSF. Also, I'd plan to be there at time of the PPI, since I'm paying for it (and not paying again for one done previously for someone else). But I haven't rec'd any response yet on my question if they have the Ferrari SD3 electronics tester, and if they don't, that's enough for me to pass.

Thanks
    Rick

6. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    I agree if they have nothing to hide it should not be an issue.

7. chuckkegel@yahoo.com

Nov 28, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles R. Kegel
    What is a PPI?

Thank you
    Charles

8. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan

Pre-Purchase Inspection

9. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    you, my friend are way too trusting. specially with a 355. get an independent PPI or walk. plenty of fish in the sea.

10. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Exactly. Nothing against them, but if they will only allow themselves to do it, what is the point in getting it done? I'm sure they will yell about someone else touching our car, but independant is just that.

11. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I would ask them if one of their cars has EVER failed one of their own PPIs. If they say no, they are lieing. But you should run either way.....

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

??

An SD3 or ST05 has nothing to do with a PPI on a 355. Records, visual inspection, and compression/leakdown are about all you get, even in a thorough inspection.

13. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If you wanted them to do it and this situation never arose, fine. Since you now know they don't want another shop looking at it, that's a red flag. Time to walk. If they were reputable, they would let the car be seen by another tech in a different store.

14. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Thanks for all comments. I've obviously never used an SD3, but if you're at a Ferrari dealer for a PPI, why wouldn't you also ask to have it connected to see if anything looked like a problem? Wouldn't that be easy to have done to guarantee you are seeing any subtle problems, electrical, sensors, etc. that may not be obvious? Otherwise, seems you'd have to just look for dash lights and assume there isn't some problem ... or just a burned out dash bulb. Daniel... could you please elaborate (for an SD3 Noob)?

Thanks
    Rick

15. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The SD3 cannot 'natively' connect to a 355. It's like trying to use an MRI machine to see if a person has diarrhea. A good old fashion rubber glove works just fine. :eek:

More seriously, the SD3 is really only useful on 360, 430, 612, 599 and such. The hookups for the 355 are completely different and actually designed for the previous generation SD2 machine. The SD3 cannot do anything useful for a 355. Now, I'm sure someone will say "oh yeah, but the SD3 can do SD2 emulation mode so in theory, it works fine on the 355". I'm originally from Missouri... and I'm still saying "show me" on that one.

An SD2 is what you would want the shop to have. Basics on a 355 would be (from my perspective, if I were buying one...) in no particular sequence:

1. Manifold situation
    2. Valve guide situation
    3. Compression/Leakdown
    4. Alternator pulley updates
    5. Rads
    6. Cats
    7. Working/functional bypass valve
    8. Cat ECUs and air pump condition
    9. PS tank update
    10. Receipts from last '30k' to verify bearings, belts, etc.
    11. Waterpump receipts or whatever
    12. Clutch slippage during a simple test drive
    13. Any receipts of recent clutch thrust bearing replacement, or g'box number.
    14. If F1, pixel condition in display pod
    15. If spider, condition of top bows and potentiometer functioning correctly
    16. All the books, tools, etc.
    17. If spider, presence of emergency tools beside seat
    18. If GTS, presence of storage bag for top
    19. AC temperature at outlet
    20. Working HVAC recirc flap
    21. all THREE key fobs + key card/code
    22. condition of fog lamp glass
    23. presence of underbelly pans and rear extractors
    24. Interior sticky situation
    25. Airbag shrinking situation
    26. Condition of leather behind the instrument pod
    27. Backup supply of mousse, gel, and other haircare products. (haha.... just had to support the 348 brotherhood on that one!)

28. ... and then, perhaps the color/leather/exterior appearance would be something to consider.

16. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Thanks Very Much - Helpful List Daniel! Guess I was wrong on the SD3, but basically I meant that I thought an Fcar dealer would use whichever tester was needed to check for codes or anything that didn't look quite right in the data.

Rick