All you car tech guys... Um, what is this? | FerrariChat

All you car tech guys... Um, what is this?

Discussion in '348/355' started by xavior, Nov 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Not sure you even need that for the 2.7, and if that thing can unlock the 5.2 protocols I will eat crow-pie.....why don't you buy it along with the software and critique it for us??....if it don't work send it to plugzit and he can put it in his POS display case...lol

2. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    I just came buy it on google... I would pick it up but i am scared... hence me asking you guy. lol

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The J2534 Passthrough protocol is for OBDII systems.

1995 355's are OBDI.
    1996-1999 355's are OBDII.

So I'd be cautious about someone claiming that their product is for 1995 and 1996 355's...as they use wildly different protocols (switching chips as opposed to downloading flash memory).

Let me just go out on a limb and speculate that IN NO WAY will that product work for a 1995 355.

4. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    So you're saying it allows you to unlock the OBDII and change everything your heart desires?? Software?????? If so, looks like I'll be eating some crow-pie....lol

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Nope. I'm rendering no opinion about what it can do for OBDII.

For the older OBDI, I feel safe in saying that it won't work, though.

6. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    You replied just in the nick of time.......guess I can put that crow-pie back in the freezer...lol

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Well that thing has to do something... right :confused:?? Who cares about 1995's ND has a handle on those 2.7 versions.... I want to change the 5.2 :D :D!!!

8. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    haha, +1!!!

9. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    A programmer for the 5.2 cars would be cool, but as ND pointed out, 95 and 96 are very different. Sounds like snake oil to me.

10. veryfast355

veryfast355 Karting

Sep 24, 2007
    gt neck long island
    Full Name:
    michael c
    Could someone explain the difference between them?

11. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    On Board Diagnositics I is generation 1 programming for engine management. It uses EPROMS (Eraseable Programable Memory) to hold all the code for fuel, spark, etc. in order to manage power, emissions and fuel usage. This was good through 1995 in the US, when OBD II came out. This required sealed ECU's (engine control unit), aka Emission Control Unit (tongue in cheek). Motronic 5.2 is the version of the engine management software as is Motronic 2.7 for OBD I. M2.7 is a circa 1992 version, replacing M2.5 from 1989 or so, both designed for 4 cylinder engines (Ferrari runs them in separate pairs - 2 ECU's e.g.). Everything was made by Bosch.

Fundamentally, it is more interesting to play with OBD II ECU's because the are plugable and writable on the fly, allowing you to reprogram right in the car as the engine is running. You can also create profiles for different running situations, like switching gasoline octaine. For M2.7, you have to replace a chip in each ECU in order to upgrade, so you can imagine the extra time for mapping, burning and replacement).

Does this help?