odering a new ferrari | FerrariChat

odering a new ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by frankieD, Nov 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frankieD

frankieD Rookie

Jun 13, 2006
    I live in New York State, how do I go about ordering a new Ferrari? Can I go to any authorized dealer? or do I need to go to a specific dealer in my area?

2. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

New York are of this forum, you could try asking there as well - but I think the content of the answer would be "very, very difficult to get a new Ferrari because the demand is much higher than the production".

3. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    You go to your local dealor, they ignore you because you did not make an appointment. You try again, they still ignore you. Third time they talk to you, tell you that no new one's, but "I have this almost new 3 year old model, etc. etc." You call around and find out this is the case everywhere. You go back, disgusted and buy that 3 year old one. Then after about a year, you get to buy an 'upgraded' newer one, still a couple of years old. You repeat this process for a few years and they are tired of seeing you. Then you get to put down $50K on a new model that won't be made for at least 2 years and the $50K is applied to the dealor's premium. get the picture?

4. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    First of all, what type of "new Ferrari" are you looking to order? 599? 430? etc...

5. roccoriley

roccoriley Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    So Cal
    And this is a sad state of affairs that should really be an embarrassment to anyone connected with Ferrari.

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Place an order early and get one of first Enzo replacements in a couple years.....

7. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Great explanation and this is indeed the general consensus, but I'm still confused. There are many posts here by people who say they ordered a new Ferrari and got it in 5 months. I think among these lucky people are first time buyers but I'm not sure.

8. jl13

jl13 Rookie

Nov 17, 2007
    Unfortunately, I do not believe you can place an order on the newer model of the Enzo. Most people do not qualify for a factory ordered Enzo, you can APPLied for one, but unless you are a VERY VERY VERY GOOD ferrari customer, you cannot even applied to get one.

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    It was a joke....

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Not really.
    There really is no ideal way for FNA to resolve the supply and demand situation here.
    I think they do the best they can,considering the amount of cars allocated to US vs the number of people wanting them.
    At this point,there are more loyal,long time Ferrari customers ,willing to order new cars, then the allocations ,so that leaves almost zero room for new,first time buyers.

11. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Not really, its called brand management and done brilliantly by LCdM. Without the aura of exclusivity, Ferrari would reap MUCH lower profits from their brand licensing.

12. frankieD

frankieD Rookie

Jun 13, 2006
    I am willing to wait the four or more years it takes and willing to put down a deposit, i would like to be on a list for a new 599, There has to be a legitimate way of doing this and I am looking for an honest dealer that can accomplish this.

13. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    I put down my deposit at the factory in late September 2007 for a 2010 build slot. It was a bit odd that we did the deal in the lobby of a hotel across the street (Planet Hotel) and the fellow was also selling knock-off Rolex's. ;)

14. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    In general, it's not an issue of honesty. Many (most) US dealers have a list of old customers who have bought one (of more) of every model for decades. These customers have even swallowed Maserati Quattroportes to stay in the good graces of their dealer. There are plenty of stories of cash and $15K watches used to grease sales managers, but in large part the demand simply outstrips the supply by 2-10X so good long term customers get the nod.

Walk into your local Rolex dealer and ask to by a Stainless Steel Daytona.....there is a 3-year list for those too, unless you are a good customer. ;)

15. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    I hope you like the 612 or live in europe.

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Good one....

17. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Just spent a night in the Planet Hotel. It wasn't as bad as some say, but by no means a 4 star, 3 star hotel. However, when you've drunk too much wine, and you've got to get up for the factory tour, sure beats driving for an hour to get there.

Art

18. jl13

jl13 Rookie

Nov 17, 2007
    The anwser is there isn't. Some dealer will allow you to place a deposit, but the fact is that, you won't be able to get your car even until the production of the ferrari that you order stops. The only ferrari that you can get brand new from the dealer at sticker is 612.

19. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

There really isn't a legitimate way to do what you want.

In essence you are competing for a limited product with (1) customers with a long established relationship with Ferrari and (2) the Ferrari desire to grow the business and growth, right now, is not in the US or Europe. SO, Ferrari doesn't need your deposit.

20. Fastpants

Fastpants Karting

Jan 24, 2006
    South Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    As I type this, there are 3 599's on eBay: 1 Rosso Corsa and 2 Grigio Silverstone. I'm sure in addition to these there has to be a few available at the exotic dealers across the nation. Why would you not go for one of these? I mean, sure, I know it would be cool to order your exact color and options, but I think that I would be hard pressed to find ANY 599 that I wouldn't trade a kidney for. Yeah, you'll pay a nice chunk over MSRP, but you can be driving NOW and for dudes that are ready to fork over $350K for a car it doesn't seem like that far of a stretch to pay $450-500K to get the car immediately and avoid the hassles and games played with the dealers and their lists.

2007 Ferrari 599 GTB..........$319,408 (Road&Track)

Surcharge to avoid the waiting and dealer's headaches........about $170,000

Seeing YOUR 599 rolling off a delivery truck in about a week........PRICELESS (Well actually about $520K after taxes and such, but you get the picture.)

21. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    If you have to ask...

22. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Odering??? What kind of aroma? :D:D:D

...sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

23. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

I'll just wait another 6 yrs then when it hits 100k like the 550 to add to my colleciton.....400k looks better in my rear pants than theirs.

What a sad state of affairs as i read this thread.